Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wizardry-like Dungeon Crawler Elminage Gothic Released on Steam

Of course if you add thirty zeroes it gets ridiculous, which is why you don't see that outside of parodies about MMOs. What's your point? HP shouldn't ever go beyond two digits or something like that?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Did you just say HP and damage increasing as you level up is a stupid mechanics? I'm not sure I understand you right.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
it is and always will be, no matter how many good blobbers there are that use it.

Zeriel

Arcane
So what's your dream game? A blobber without character progression? Sounds fascinating.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
So what's your dream game? A blobber without character progression? Sounds fascinating.
why do you equate character progression with scaling hp and damage? do you have no character progression in real life, despite all weapons maintaining their baseline lethality towards you during all stages of your development?
plus i am not opposed to increases as such, i am just against level-based scaling to levels of utter ridiculousness.

ben_reck

Educated
My poor casters would thrill to anything resembling hp growth. And it doesn't matter how many hps they have, they can still lose their heads.

The game has a few signposts in the first dungeon about the allure of alchemy. Curiously, it includes no such plugs for servants.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, the old Wizardry level up system is complete garbage. It is a shame they don't use VII's. There was a reason they got rid of that old shit system.

GlutenBurger

Cipher
Because of a steam fuck-up, the preorder bonuses (artbook and soundtrack) weren't available as intended, so they went out and unlocked them to everyone. I've seen at least one butthurt guy on the forums. :M
I have trouble imagining the mindset of somebody who gets upset about something like this. I get as far as picturing him at a bar trying to impress women with his array of exclusive preorder art books and soundtracks, and the whole thing breaks down with the sheer surreality.

Yep. I admit I savescum on lvl up. Don't care if it's unmonocled, it's no fun to lose str three times on a row on your brawler.
It's certainly one of the least enjoyable aspects of the Wizardry system, but three times in a row? Is that an exaggeration? Maybe you made him too old for the bonus points at creation? The manual says older characters are more likely to lose physical stats and gain mental stats. I haven't played yet, but it would be disappointing to hear the game is doing level ups so badly that classes lose their key stats so easily.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yep. I admit I savescum on lvl up. Don't care if it's unmonocled, it's no fun to lose str three times on a row on your brawler.
It's certainly one of the least enjoyable aspects of the Wizardry system, but three times in a row? Is that an exaggeration? Maybe you made him too old for the bonus points at creation? The manual says older characters are more likely to lose physical stats and gain mental stats. I haven't played yet, but it would be disappointing to hear the game is doing level ups so badly that classes lose their key stats so easily.

That was an exaggeration ;) But really, you regularly lose (key-) stats on lvl up and in general I just cannot see why anyone would invent a system that sometimes punishes you for leveling. I understand that it was in the original wizardries but that doesn't mean that it wasn't kinda strange even then :P

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I should do a Dungeon Craft version of this game (the levels). At least then the Leveling Up process would be actually enjoyable. :M

ben_reck

Educated
yeah, took me a while to figure out the UI sequence for resurrecting pc's. apparently the F key has some utility in dungeons.

ben_reck

Educated
OK, if I'm not mistaken, I think your characters age when you're not playing the game. I'll pause the game in a dungeon, return the next day, and three days will have passed.

ben_reck

Educated
Hmm, I need to be able to breathe underwater for more then one minute. At least I would like to be able to do that. Some feat of forging?

ben_reck

Educated
haha, I made six but now I'm thinking I only needed one of the seeds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom