Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wizardry-like Dungeon Crawler Elminage Gothic Released on Steam

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Will try my standard Wizardry party and see how that works (Valk,Valk,Sam,Mage,Bard,Ninja).
you won't get anywhere far without an alchemist.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Really? Oh crap, seems like I have to start all over :/ Or I'll just switch the cleric for an alchemist (alchemists can heal, right?) and grind him up so he's fit for the second dungeon

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
just make an alchemist on the side. if you have shittons of money the game lets you buy xp with it at char creation.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I don't remember you being able to have Neutral ninjas in Wizardry 1 so you don't get them here.

The Steam comments suggest this is the very worst of all the Elminage games. Maybe we'll see more!

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Brawlers seem to be the best melee class. I rolled a Brawler and Ninja with over 30 points to distribute. And even though the Ninja is the most difficult class to roll, the Brawler had 30% more kills overall.

Also, Ninjas cannot attack from the second row without at least medium range weapons. And one other thing that almost fucked up my party creation was that characters with Good and Evil alignments cannot be in the same party. Later, the alignment may change and that is fine - but in the starting party there is a check that prevents you from using opposing alignments together.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's the same as in Wizardry as well. Haven't you guys played Wizardry? Shame on you! You should know this innately.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Great post Jaesun, keep up the quality work.

Scrooge

6-8 are basically popamole compared to 1-5. They play completely differently and the systems are radically different.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Someone said that Wizardry 1-5 shouldn't even be considered RPG's anymore. :lol:

Seriously, the simple hack'n slash with nothing else in this game is way more popamole than Wizardry 6-8.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
The Steam comments suggest this is the very worst of all the Elminage games. Maybe we'll see more!
from what i gathered that's less because of content and more because it nerfed some classes and doesn't allow you to buy xp for money outside of char creation, not because it's actually shit in terms of content... so the usual whining of steamtards.
Brawlers seem to be the best melee class. I rolled a Brawler and Ninja with over 30 points to distribute. And even though the Ninja is the most difficult class to roll, the Brawler had 30% more kills overall.
what works at the beginning of the game does not work at the end or postgame. later on brawlers become shit unless you also use a summoner in which case you only use them to lower the resistances on the higher end summons, while ninjas can reach 90%+ instakill chance with equip and prevent surprise attacks, both of which become incredibly important the further you progress.

And one other thing that almost fucked up my party creation was that characters with Good and Evil alignments cannot be in the same party. Later, the alignment may change and that is fine - but in the starting party there is a check that prevents you from using opposing alignments together.
it's not just the starting party. alignments will be checked every time you try to add a member, meaning you drop somebody off at the temple to heal them: alignment check time. there are class change items that allow you to circumvent alignment requirements, but good gear might have original alignment restrictions and there is also stuff called innocent gear, which requires that the character never changed classes, and altering alignment through random friendly encounters is friggin bothersome.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Haha I guess I really screwed up my party now that I read SuicideBunny's posting. And here I thought I had a well balanced group of adventurers, well I guess I still have much to learn :D

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I like this so far. <3

No Compass? Though there is probably a spell later on which shows direction or something? Just means lots of back-tracking for me as I manually map this out, which == more random encounters + XP/gold/items so I guess that's OK.

Can you ONLY access your inventory in combat/in town? I don't see any inventory option when you hit ESC.

DefJam101

Arcane
I'd probably like these sorts of games but the Japanese insist on including pointless number inflation in their RPGs which for some reason annoys the absolute shit out of me. I don't want a character with fucking 1240 hitpoints

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I like this so far. <3

No Compass? Though there is probably a spell later on which shows direction or something? Just means lots of back-tracking for me as I manually map this out, which == more random encounters + XP/gold/items so I guess that's OK.

Can you ONLY access your inventory in combat/in town? I don't see any inventory option when you hit ESC.
Q brings up the party screen.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
ugh the older Wizardry's level up system. Seriously jRPG designers IT SUCKS. Play Wiz VII and 8. See how it is done correctly.

And so saving your game in a dungeon, and if you then reload that save from the world map screen, it completely re-sets the entire encounters on that level? So that's how you can grind. I fail to see if that is a bad thing?

Grinding is a bad thing. :M

I'd probably like these sorts of games but the Japanese insist on including pointless number inflation in their RPGs which for some reason annoys the absolute shit out of me. I don't want a character with fucking 1240 hitpoints

:updatedmytxt:

"-Check if he feels bothered when I move the furniture around."

It's an abstraction, why does it matter. As long as you can tell that it will take ten hits from that orc to kill you, whether it's causing 10DAM to your 100HP or 1DAM for your 10HP is meaningless, especially in a videogame where the computer is making all the calculations anyway.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
It's an abstraction, why does it matter. As long as you can tell that it will take ten hits from that orc to kill you, whether it's causing 10DAM to your 100HP or 1DAM for your 10HP is meaningless, especially in a videogame where the computer is making all the calculations anyway.
you would have no problems with a game where rats cause 100000000000000000000000000 points of dmg to a character having over 90000000000000000000000000000? it's just stupid, same as some games which add a purely visual zero to all item prices and money rewards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom