Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Wizardry-like Dungeon Crawler Elminage Gothic Released on Steam

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
The modern dungeon explorer uses grid cartographer

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If anything, I see that as a selling point. Iron-man enforced games are some of my favorites. Guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks, though.

Well, you can play it in this 'Iron-man' way and send a rescue team to retrieve the original party. However, you can also simply load a saved game. You just need to select your party after loading a game by going to the world map and clicking on the second icon above. Kind of a strange way to load games, but it works too.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I'll wait for a few more peoples comments on this. I AM jRPG tolerant, and this *seems* good. So I might like this....

ben_reck

Educated
Well, I wouldn't call it a JRPG unless you'd call the first few Wizardry's the same.

Does it have endless exposition and storytelling? No.

Do the characters have epic hair? No. Some are bald.

Does it mandate level grinding? Maybe. Maybe no more than Sir-Tech did.

Does it have incestuous romances tempered by one of the siblings being adopted? It had better!

Supermedo

Augur
I'll wait for a few more peoples comments on this. I AM jRPG tolerant, and this *seems* good. So I might like this....
Well According to people this the old version of the game with bugs and less content compared to 3Ds version, Which is a shit move from the developer because 3Ds version already released and available.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
After finishing the first dungeon, you can go to three new locations - a small town and two new dungeons. They all look different and in my opinion much better than the first one.

I wish there were more puzzles in the dungeons themselves. Currently, it is pretty much just hack'n slash - though that part is pretty well done.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Thanks for that video CK. I would totally play this. Looks like a standard older wizardy dungeon crawl. Quite surprised it is still complex, and not completely dumbed down. :shock:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
"Still complex"? Brother, these games are far more complex than Wizardry 1-5. The Japs have secretly been refining and fine-tuning this formula for decades. You're missing out, son!

Edit: question that may seem like a joke but is not: how many furry races are there? This is relevant to me buying it today or not.

ben_reck

Educated
and the Japanese hobbits, while not exactly furries, do have foot hair to spare.

There is a servant class (maid) that I was too timid to try.

Jas's comment is spot-on. There are wondrous things the Japanese have been doing in terms of imitation and refinement. This one has the font from the 3rd edition D&D books.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Well, it was good for a couple of days, but it is not really good in long-term motivation.

If all you do is fight and then have to run back through the whole dungeon to rest and recharge spells - that gets boring pretty quick. No puzzles, hardly any story, no real NPC interaction...

Maybe I'll come back to it later - but for now I'll try Wasteland 2 instead.

Mortmal

Arcane
"Still complex"? Brother, these games are far more complex than Wizardry 1-5. The Japs have secretly been refining and fine-tuning this formula for decades. You're missing out, son!

Edit: question that may seem like a joke but is not: how many furry races are there? This is relevant to me buying it today or not.

We keep telling them that but only a selected few in weaboo forum know the truth. Those games outclass the old wizardries in every possible ways. Only drawback is the graphic style and not even for every titles. This or things like darkspire have beautiful artwork.Each time a dungeon master clone is released , you will get people in the thread whining its not turn based but those people dont even try this .

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
We keep telling them that but only a selected few in weaboo forum know the truth. Those games outclass the old wizardries in every possible ways. Only drawback is the graphic style and not even for every titles. This or things like darkspire have beautiful artwork.Each time a dungeon master clone is released , you will get people in the thread whining its not turn based but those people dont even try this .
pretty sure there is no "somewhat" serious tb blobber fan who doesn't know that japan's the place to go for tb blobbing nowadays.[/NoTrueScotsman]

ben_reck

Educated
If all you do is fight and then have to run back through the whole dungeon to rest and recharge spells - that gets boring pretty quick. No puzzles, hardly any story, no real NPC interaction...

Well, there is probably a teleport spell available down the line. And the core challenge of the game might be crafting a party that can endure exploration for the dungeon for the longest spells. Limited story, non-existent NPC interaction -- that's probably by design.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i like the fact that they have some anti multiclassing stuff. pretty rare in wiz clones.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I wish they had taken more inspiration from the later Wizardries, which were always heavy on puzzles, had more real NPC interaction and storylines.

There is a teleport spell (Clerics) but it is forgotten when you use it once. It's like they want to make it more difficult in not a very fun way. Then there is also a high-level Mage spell that takes you to a place you've already been. Don't know if it's random or you can set the place to go to. If it's the latter then it's at least something.

ben_reck

Educated
You know...I prefer the early ones. If I want heavy NPC interaction and storylines, I have no lack. But a hardcore dungeoncrawl? Such a niche thing.

And, yes, the curiously named cleric spell: honey closer. I tested that first foe and it sent heads flying, but my hunter landed the last blow thanks to Pursuit. One survivor and five heads, haha.

Because of a steam fuck-up, the preorder bonuses (artbook and soundtrack) weren't available as intended, so they went out and unlocked them to everyone. I've seen at least one butthurt guy on the forums. :M
Which is ridiculous. Preorders still got it for 2 dollars cheaper.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So I just read the manual for this, and holy shit! This IS a full on Wizardry clone.

:incline:

So I bought this immediately.

Will try my standard Wizardry party and see how that works (Valk,Valk,Sam,Mage,Bard,Ninja).

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In CHAR creation, I've pressed E a million times and I don't seem to be able to roll a character that can be a Valkyrie...

This is going to be a long night pressing E....

Valkyries are Neutral alignment..............? Whatever. heh

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom