Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry: Labyrinth of Lost Souls

KalosKagathos

Learned
I'm temporally interrupting my self-imposed exile to inform you that LoLS has finally appeared on European PSN. I grab the demo and run this thing.

Character creation is old-school. You pick a race/gender combo that decides the character's starting stats below which you can't go. Then you get a random number of stat points to freely allocate. This number can range from but a handful to tens of points. Want a lot of those? Prepare to spend half an hour rerolling. Each of 8 classes (Fighter, Mage, Priest, Thief, Bishop, Samurai, Lord, Ninja) has stat and alignment requirements the character has to meet to be able to select it. You aren't told what these requirements are because fuck you.

I'm dumped into a town. There's an inn where you can rest, a shop that sells equipment and items I'll perhaps be able to afford one day, a church that raises dead dudes, a guild that gives you quests, and a palace that doesn't do shit right now. I do some window shopping and stroll into a dungeon.

A dungeon floor is a 20x20 square grid. Passing the grid's border warps you to the opposite side. Gimmick tiles are in. I've already seen dark zones on the very first floor, and I'm going to assume that old favorites like forced telepoters will pop up later on. Most encounters are random, but some are placed by hand. The encounter frequency is relatively low. About the same as SMT II, I'd say.

The party is split into two rows, front and back, three dudes each. Back row can't attack or be attacked with melee weapons. You can't specify the target when attacking; single-target attacks will pick their target randomly. Spellcasting is Vancian: a character can only cast a fixed number of spells of any given level before needing to rest. Each character has his own inventory and can only use the items that were put there.

You can save whenever you want as long as you're not fighting something, but you only get one slot because fuck you.

10 minutes of explorations later, I encounter a hand-placed level 12 banshee (everyone's level 2 at that point) who uses some kind of wail attack and kills everyone. Instant GotY. I can only imagine the kinds of sweet, unwarranted punishment that mistress Wizardry has in stock for me.

What I'm getting at is that you should buy this game, wankers. It's only ten eurobucks.

In before Jaesun moving this thread to GG while running Skyrim in another window. Sneaky, hypocritical homo.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Whoa, it's Kalos.

Labyrinth of the Lost Souls is a truly MAJESTIC game. A bit too melodramatic, though. (And by "a bit" I mean EXTREMELY melodramatic. Damn Japs.) (Nevermind, I got it mix'd up with TotFL. Still kinda true, though.) A very worthy successor to the early Wizardries indeed.

So yeah, wankers, buy this game.
:thumbsup:

And Kalos, if you enjoy this game, you should definitely play Wizardries 1-3. They have the same mechanics (including the non-insane encounter rate and the dark zones on the very first floor). The SNES version (aka Story of Llylgamyn) even has good graphics and a pretty solid art direction.

tl;dr Japs love their early Wizardries.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Hobo Elf said:
Whoa, fuck. Thanks for letting me know. Gonna go buy the shit out of that game.
I would too, if only I had a PS3. Thinking of buying one for myself as a Christmas present, no need to upgrade the PC this year since games haven't made much progress in the graphics department for the last six years.

Repressed Homosexual
I would've never believed it, but the difficulty is very dumbed down even when compared to something like Etrian Odyssey. Save anywhere, and death like in Dragon Quest, meaning that you can't die, you can only lose half your gold. Also the characters constantly screaming their battle cries in Japanese gets very annoying and very fast.

Etrian Odyssey and old Wizardry are both better than this.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
KalosKagathos said:
while running Skyrim in another window. Sneaky, hypocritical homo.

I don't play or like shitty action games, just FYI there hon.

Humanity has risen! said:
I would've never believed it, but the difficulty is very dumbed down even when compared to something like Etrian Odyssey. Save anywhere, and death like in Dragon Quest, meaning that you can't die, you can only lose half your gold. Also the characters constantly screaming their battle cries in Japanese gets very annoying and very fast.

That sounds really bad....

Crooked Bee

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Nope, it doesn't. None of that makes it a bad game. Not as hardcore as the early Wizardries, yeah. Perhaps even easier than EO, I dunno, even though I don't find EO hard. But a bad game? No. It isn't the best dungeon crawler ever, naturally, but it's still a perfectly fine game to play through. Much better than the mediocre crap that is Skyrim.

Save anywhere doesn't mean anything as well, really. The Dark Spire has the save anywhere thing, and yet it is the best dungeon crawler released in the past, what, 10 years or more.

Repressed Homosexual
I never touched Dark Spire because I think I read somewhere it has scaling.

I didn't say this Wizardry couldn't have other qualities but it doesn't make a very good first impression.

Shadenuat

Arcane
So is this game actually a Wizardry in anime style, or is it a party based JRPG which has some Wizardry flavor? If I really like Wizardry VIII, could I get some fun from playing LoLS?

Crooked Bee

Patron
Level scaling? Truth be told I'm surprised to hear that. Good thing I didn't read anything about the game before playing it, I guess. :P

Now let me think... It definitely doesn't have the Wiz8 nor Oblivion (I assume, didn't really play Oblivion) kind of level-scaling. There is one thing I remember noticing, however, if I remember correctly: the more you explore the higher floors, the tougher kinds of enemies you tend to encounter on the previous ones. That's the only example of "scaling" I can think of, really, and I'm not even sure it's 100% true (even though I beat the game twice). Personally I didn't find it annoying in the least. In fact, I hadn't even noticed or thought about it until I read your comment, so there.

Wikipedia said:
The title has received mixed reviews, with a score of 63 on Metacritic. IGN gave the title a 5.5 rating, criticizing the game for making players put in large amounts of work and not rewarding them enough. Gamespot gave the title a 7.5 rating, criticizing its old fashioned design and its lack of an auto map feature (although there actually is one)

Sounds absolutely delightful. :lol:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Those are good features, so that makes it worth considering.

But then again, it's Japanisu Animu...

You're a faggot either way! If you buy it you're a filthy weeaboo and if you don't you don't like true, real RPGs (IE Dungeon Crawlers).

You just can't win!

Phelot

Arcane
Jack said:
I would too, if only I had a PS3.

After hearing about Dark Souls, FFS I'm tempted to buy one too. Fucking PC ports, do you speak them?!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This rather interesting so far. Made my own character, and added 4 others (but then make Jasede the Neutral Thief as the other ones were evil and couldn't join my n/g party).

I have no fucking clue what any of these stats do however. Also the artwork is not rage inducing (and I have a low tolerance to anime artwork).

Machocruz

Arcane
After putting about 20 hours in the demo alone, and on my way to a platinum trophy in the main game, it pretty much makes me regret all the time I wasted playing non-games on PS3. The two Souls games and this are the only incline on the system, and probably on consoles period.

Wizardry is forever.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, guess I'm gonna have to get this now, & a PS3 too. Woo Christmas Bonus.

Machocruz

Arcane
Jaesun said:
This rather interesting so far. Made my own character, and added 4 others (but then make Jasede the Neutral Thief as the other ones were evil and couldn't join my n/g party).

There is an exploit that lets you have any alignment you want in your party.

You can also lower your alignment by attacking non aggressive creatures.

Repressed Homosexual
There is another PSN Wizardry but it's probably going to remain Japan-only.

Also two DS games, but the interest is far too low for them to be translated.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
lols is way too easy past a certain point and the "puzzles" are non-existent.
:(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom