Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Empires 1 - Ikoshie no Oujo ENGLISH Translation Project

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i wish there was some way i could fix the way the game kind of fades out the last letter of some words but the reason it does that is because that word is occupying the maximum possible spaces; in order to have the game feature non-faded out last letters i would need to come up with shorter words that mean the same thing and replace those already in-game or abbreviate stuff.

i don't want to abbreviate anything though. it's just a thing the game does, the fading out a bit of the last letter when the word is occupying all possible spaces it can. it has to do with half-width font and full-width font stuff, etc.

other games don't do that. but whatever, i can live with it it's just a minor thing. for those curious it does the same to japanese characters if i, for example: insert a half-width jap value after the last jap character.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
running the exe through AppLocale fixes the font back to its original one (i.e. when you run the game on Win98 this is the font, which is nicer than the one that shows up when you run the game via compatibility on Win7)

inspect-whom_zpsajizlybb.jpg~original

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I NEED YOUR HELP!

RIGHT NOW I'M BASICALLY FINISHED TRANSLATING THE "INFO-BOXES" ON ENEMIES IN THE MONSTER-PEDIA WHICH ARE ALSO SHARED/USED ON SOME WEAPONS (I.E. THEY RE-USE THE TEXT VARIABLES YAY)

HOWEVER damn sorry, had dat caps-- however i simply can't think of any good TWO LETTER ABBREVIATIONS for all of the enemy-types and way more difficult than the enemies: two-letter abreviations for the affliction resistances/effect-on-hits.

Obviously with some thinking a player can logically assume if they're looking at this:
MONSTER-PEDIA_zpsiihdtzl4.jpg~original

and they see in the WEAK column FiThWa i hope they can deduce that that's obviously "Fire" "Thunder" "Water". I have no choice but to use two letters and no amount of pointer math will help me here they got the info boxes on serious kanji lockdown.

however on ABILITY (which i realize now must be changed; that column presents the effects it can inflict on hit. while i was inside the hex-editor for whatever reason shortening "SPECIAL ABILITY" to just ABILITY seemed reasonable but now it's obvious i gotta use "ON-HIT" for maximum clarity)-- in that column...

Po = Poison
He = Hemp (lewl)
St = Stone (petrifies) (i thought about using Pe but St seemed clearer for this specific instance)
Re = I HONESTLY ALREADY FORGOT WHAT DIS ONE IS
Mi = yep. already forgot what this one is as well.
Be = Beheading

highlighted means it weak to it or it inflicts it and purple/not-highlighted means it's neutral towards it and/or has no advantage in either defending that or inflicting it.

the ones i haven't translated is because i simply got so frustrated i stopped to post here.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Excidium II

which font: the original game's font representation (App Locale / Win 98) or its Windows 7 font? (i.e. the one that's in 90% of the pics)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
"times a ghost". this is what happens when you've been staring at a hex-editor for the entire day: this translation will suddenly seem perfectly reasonable to you haha

times-a-ghost_zpsxjza2mbd.jpg~original

(this pic was taken with the game running thru App Locale so this is the original game font)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
feel free to try it out: https://firedrop.com/3df0ddc0eabaf9ef

all items should be translated, cursory text notifying what the places in town are (and their menus) are translated, the complete battle text engine is translated although almost all of that text is place-holder as the human translator is going to work the battle text after the npc dialog. (doesn't really matter tho just hold down ENTER KEY mow 'em down).

the complete trap/chest menu is translated. COMPLTELY. basically aside from the stuff ppl will say to you you should be able to read in english p. much everything else.

and yes i know the font sucks ass. run the Julio-Wizardry.exe through AppLocale to get a slightly better font, i also left in the o.g. jap game .exe if you want to fire it up in glorious island dwarf language. treat this like a demo basically except you can lvl up your chars for when i insert the dialog (insert mm); i will do that immediately as soon as the script is translated.

note: game only launches with windows 95 / 98 compatibility checkbox ticked.

default controls (and unchangable in-game) are:

ENTER = confirm
BACKSPACE = cancel / back
arrow keys = the d-pad basically (hold down enter to move foward!)
left shift = manual save (that menu is untranslated because it's a small thing i haven't gotten around to and i play in iron man mode)
right shift = opens map

(your ability to open the map relies on your available DUMAPIC spells + the MAGIC MAP consumables you buy in or get as loot. unless you're planning on mapping by hand i don't recommend leaving hime without some magic maps cos they start fucking with you right from the beginning with dakr zones, spinners and teleports and one way invisible walls that appear behind you)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
https://firedrop.com/1a71bb3c6d31c153

that is an AutoHotkey script i made for this game that remaps arrow keys to WASD, cancel to "C" (because it also brings up the CAMP menu as well); map button is remapped to TAB and the utility menu (where you unlock doors, search for secrets, options, etc) is mapped to "F".

can't even remember what the default button for utility menu is, sorry.

oh yeah space bar makes your status screen first change into an EO-like anime row of portraits (although they are much, much better) and a second tap of space bar closes all party info and leaves only main viewport.

i also have very similar AutoHotkey scripts i made for Generation XTH for Windows PC, if anyone wants it. And for Wiz-Empire 2 of course, which if you haven't played yet by god fuck what i'm linking you right now and go download that shit instead. you're missing out!

wiz-empire 2: https://firedrop.com/e362b9a95a05adf0

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Deuce Traveler

hehe already got an update. since i posted this i quickly went finished alchemy spells and did a ream of feedback text like elevator up/down/exit, ladder climb/don't climb; found secret door; a wall button is found; do you wish to press the wall button?; etc, etc. stuff like that.

this is really shaping up very nicely.

here's a link to the most recent .exe: https://firedrop.com/26262cf42f1e11fd

that'll be the last .exe until i get the npc dialog back and finish the translation. yay

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
OH yeah i also did the char-gen in that .exe. i hadn't gotten around to it because it's so obvious how the char-gen works but of course gotta get everything.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i'm also busy translating elminage 2 but for the life of me i can't seem to be able to get PPSSPP to run the modified ISO after re-inserting the modified files. I think it has to do with the PSP "encryption"; i seem to remember some peeps talknig about having to decrypt the boot.bin first.

uuugughgugh i fucking hate trying to translate a console game. on top of everything else you have to deal with tons of shit. TONS. OF. SHIT. at least with pc games you can concentrate solely on the translation.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i decided to try out a little experiment. i replaced the IS/TO/THE/AT battle-text operators with cute lil' square blocks (hexadecimal values 8120 for those who want to use them). I think it looks much cleaner!

i also toyed with the death text a bit and switched them around; then i decided to use the final battle text variable that triggers upon a death and instead replaced that text with "IS WOUNDED..." because that particlar variable is always followed by the enemy's death. i avoided using "DIED!" which sounds dumb and went with defeated.

latest exe is here (once again p. much everything, including now char-creation and tons of other misc. shit EXCEPT npc dialog): https://firedrop.com/2d6e8600e7a5ba6a

i think this motherfucker is close to being at least 70% in english, of course obviously not counting the npc's. trust me once that .doc is translated i will hack it in asap.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
btw this latest .exe has almost all of the 1st dungeon's in-dungeon text, such as sign posts and door plaques translated. i'm doing those myself as they are very simple and short messages.

ex. a sign that reads "Do not be scared of the dark." right before a dark-zone. shit like that. if it was anything complicated i would not do it myself and instead send it to a fluent person.

starfish as always brings the pain almost immediately b2f and b3f of the 1st dungeon are fucking fun as fuck. tons of dark areas, spinners tons and i mean TONS of one way doors and not only one way doors but one way hallways (i.e. you step foward and a wall is now suddenly at your back blocking return).

they reeeeeally toned it down for the elminage series; the wiz-empire series has some brutally delicious and awesome zero-fucks given dungeon design. i love it.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Siveon
Comte
Mustawd
Deuce Traveler
Viata
Zetor
Helly
MrRichard999
Dorarnae
V_K
Celerity
Siveon
Courtier
H-K
ThisNameIsFree
InD_ImaginE
St Antony of Padua
Roqua
Shackleton

Here's the link to the .exe with these minor but sorely needed changes: https://firedrop.com/fbe39a246dda4b3d (replace the game .exe with that one).
and just in case you don't have it; here's the thing (150mb~): https://firedrop.com/e62945419657dc7d

NOTE: as ALWAYs the npc and towns-folk dialog IS NOT YET IN. everything else is i think. waiting to to get the script back in my hands. the odd bits of engrish that the inn maiden spouts at you is there for _testing purposes_ i wanted to see what the limit was on their dialog BEFORE i started inserting the translating script. don't go crazy please. thank you and have a nice day :)

And yep, Richard, i completely stole the incredibly genius idea of getting around the amount of attacks not being generated in dynamic text by using an "x" right after the %... from you ! thanks ! you see then, i really have pored over the sequel's .exe to see how you did things.

GAME ONLY LANCHES WITH COMPATIBILITY CHECKMARK ON WINDOWS 98!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Screenshot%202016-04-02%2000.36.13_zpsidrhfiix.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-02%2000.25.20_zpsvivnyvs5.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-01%2011.39.21_zpsn1wiqdb9.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-01%2009.45.15_zps6oc6ek9e.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-02%2000.25.54_zpsd62vzji0.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-02%2000.26.03_zpsg2qizjn9.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-02%2000.26.10_zpszilkvshx.png~original

Screenshot%202016-04-01%2009.44.42_zpsjssqkbmt.png~original

Screenshot%202016-04-01%2009.44.57_zpsftbf7taz.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-01%2009.43.392_zpskjfpxl7d.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-01%2011.40.11_zps3gauknmx.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-01%2009.44.31_zpssyfghdxd.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-01%2009.43.18_zpsc0sqvsjg.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-01%2011.40.302_zpsw223y85n.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-01%2011.40.59_zpszk68zwbr.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-01%2011.40.55_zpsa1wguqmc.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-01%2011.41.02_zpsxgz4finl.png~original

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I'M playing a new party i just rolled right now (made celerity a fem-faery again :D) and i think i've hit upon the best possible solution to make the battle texts read like actual wizardry battle text. i THINK i can replace the operators, the "squares", wihch are also an invention of mine: originally each one of those squares was 1 of 4 different operators (As/The/To/Is); however since they are Kanji translating them literally just doesn't work. You get shit like:

a) aweigh IS FLYING EYE
HAND AXE TO STABS!

b) FLYING EYE THE
aweigh AT WAS SEDUCED!

so, uhhhh yeah, you can see my point. there is literally no wording one could give them and still retain any battle description; you would have to make every single one generic and simply say "...ATTACKS!" or something. buuuuuuuuut i JUST figured out the game doesn't need those operators AT ALL! Just for the hell of it I erased all four of the current "squares" that i replaced the kanji with with and... now I have about three letters' worth of space to think of something. OR, ORR!!! I can leave them BLANK, and instead make the message AFTER the operator longer and make it fall into syntax. Like so:

aweigh * FLYING EYE
KATANA WAS SWUNG IN A FRENZY

right? amirite or amirite!? i'm gonna go do that right now.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Siveon
Comte
Mustawd
Deuce Traveler
Viata
Zetor
Helly
MrRichard999
Dorarnae
V_K
Celerity
Siveon
Courtier
H-K
ThisNameIsFree
InD_ImaginE
St Antony of Padua
Roqua
Shackleton
I Need some serious, serious input guys... i'm like this close to finally making the battle engine/text my BITCH, with only one smalld etail left to figure out. But anyway look at these pics and always keeping in mind that the operator is "w/" (i'm limited by two letters... cut me some slack)
Screenshot%202016-04-02%2010.20.312_zps1h0vaj7q.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-02%2010.19.55_zpsbsugxb3g.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-02%2010.19.29_zps0t2lykwj.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-02%2010.17.142_zpskgzs4qze.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-02%2010.18.23_zpstadgg8qq.png~original
Screenshot%202016-04-02%2010.19.18_zps1x1bbn4u.png~original

a whole great big list of short, colorful and entertaining "descriptions" ! look at those pics and think of better lines ! you can do eeeet. i hadn't even realized i already put in two seperate instances of eye stabbing hahahaha

as you can see i need some recommendations. and oh yeah, the detail i still need to figure out is where the hell that DOT SEPERATOR after the character's name (or enemies' name) attacks someone... i thought i had hunted down ALL of the operators but i can't seem to find THAT one. I want to change it to preferably to the full word "TARGETS"... but we'll see what happens. game is tricky bastard. first i gotta find the damn dot.

edit: ooooh looking at those pics i immediately realize if i can fit a third character, i should change it to w/A because it reads much more naturally. character (FUCKING DOT!!) enemy w/A BOW w/A AN EYE-STAB.

:D

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I MANAGed to come up with a few good ones:

Richard HITS (yeah i changed it targets is too long)-- ahem

Richard HITS Flying Eye w/
Three-Section Bo Staff w/ A BLOW OF UTTER CONTEMPT.

hah

i also put in one that says

Helly HITS Skeleton Warrior w/
Katana w/ DOING A BARREL-ROLL

:D it ocurred to me that w/ can also stand for "while" !

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom