Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Empires 1 - Ikoshie no Oujo ENGLISH Translation Project

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Screenshot%202016-03-10%2019.22.20_zpsvvtq5jpu.png~original
Screenshot%202016-03-10%2019.22.39_zpstrvmydxa.png~original

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
obviously need to tweak the wording, such as instead of "1 TWO TIMES!" i'll write instead regular Wiz stuff like (obviate the actual number "1" completely and) "Hits twice!" and the damage part where it now says "23Damage of 2D" (23 damage resulting from the "two times" attack" it'll say instead:

"HITS TWICE! 23 DMG!" and obviate the 2d part, which is actually the damage % formula lol i left that in...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected

the flickering is something to do with bandicam + old-ass dx7 hook of the game. there is no flickering in the game itself. just wanted to post this video to remind those interested that it's still going foward.

on the to do list:

- Helly still needs to translate the NPC dialog. (thankfully the game has very few talking NPC's).
- I need to fix the trap menu (that's a super easy fix).
- Still need to translate around 20% of the items, 80% of the spells, 100% of the monsters (lol) and 100% of whatever the hell is inside "treasure.dat".

still, this is a "small" game and this project will definitely be finished. for comparison's sake the entire raw script dump of Wiz Emp 1 comes to about 1.2 MB's (including item.dat files, etc, plus the game executable); whereas a dump of only ONE SINGLE .BIN FILE from Elminage 2 comes to 8 MB's, and Elminage 2 has EIGHT .BIN files.

see the difference? yeah i'm planning on tackling elminage 2 or 3 once we're done with this but honestly speaking the Elminage games are simply too huge. 2 and 3 are easily 4 to 5 times the size of "Original". So for now i'll just concentrate on doing my best to help finish wiz emp 1.

wiz emp 3 should be the logical next one just to have a complete series, and in terms of size it is even smaller than wiz emp 2... so yeah, i think that's the logical progression. plus it'll be faster to translate due to shared assets.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
CryptRat
Siveon
Comte
Deuce Traveler

OK SO i'm doing the Psionics school of spells first and I'm going to re-construct each spell name using the True Words Of Wizardry from Enomoya's website.

For example DUMAPIC displays your location in the dungeon, where as the PSI spell "Mappikku" displays a 3x3 map of the immediate surroundings. By taking away the true words "Du", which means yourself, and "ma", which is a hebew prefix that denotes all-encompassing, you're left with PIC. Therefore the PSI spell that google translates as mappikku and shows a 3x3 area is properly localized as DUPIC

KATINO = SLEEPS
KATU = CHARPS
KANTIOS = CONFUSES

it's a very good system based on hebrew words and i want to preserved it.

FOR THE spell which counts the # of stones in a floor:

"ropekku"

the mage spell that turns enemies to stone is BOLATU. BOLA means to petrify, and the -TU at the end is to inflict, which is the opposite of having it at the beginning such as in laTUmofisis, where it denotes to remove.

so i've right now translated it as MACALIBOLA. Calific means to reveal secret doors and calfo means to see inisde (see traps inside chests). the MA prefix should be obvious.

in the end i went with MABOLAPIC as I remembered it has to denote that it's a map-related spell.

peeps, should i waste my time doing this? or should i just translate shit as fast as possibile and not localize it? remember that localizing in this case means making up new spell names, but i promise you all that i am taking it very seriously. for example the spell to remove sleep in the empire series (which doesn't exist in wiz 1-8) i titled LATUKATINO for obvious reasons.

i'm also engaging in similar wizardry-localization with item namings and this is why i'm taking so long to get anything done. what do you all think?

done so far: all mage spells, and all priest spells, about 75% of items (i've gone back and re-named a bunch of them). still to do: ALL MONSTERS, all of them, but that should be easy (if tedious and time consuming), and of course, in-dungeon dialog. (i'll do that stuff myself if i have to).

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
sometimes i'm making questionable decisions as for example: in the psionics school of spells there is a spell that raises ally accuracy, but there are no examples i can find related to accuracy in the true words; therefore i can re-appropriate the spell name PONTI which was only used in wizardry 1-5 and what it does is it raises 1 ally's agility.

i believe it's close enough, and it lends itself very well to the further addtion of MA, LA, HA, Tu, DI, BA, DU, CAL, etc.

(there is no agility raising spell in empire series, btw, so it fits like a glove)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Siveon
CryptRat
Deuce Traveler
Comte
Celerity
Courtier
fluent
Dorarnae

This is the absolutely most recent video footage i've taken of my work so far. I started in on the monster names, items are almost done, spells are almost done, trapped-chest interface is 90% done, the item info-box is done... what's left is translating NPC dialog and in-dungeon "event-tile" text/dialog; and translating miscellany like "chest was not trapped", etc. I'd say the game is a very rough 40 percent translated, with the bulk of that 40 percent being comprised of the items/spells/monsters. One of the monster names in the video, 'skeleton warrior', is only placeholder until i get a proper translation although it doesn't really mater.

One of the mistakes you'll see in the video I already fixed in the time it took to upload it to youtube... (the mis-aligned shop-keeper categories). Naming the monsters has turned out to be a hell of a lot more work than I expected, btw. After watching the video I realized every single monster name has to shifted down (or up) by 1 line. Bleh. I'm definitely gonna need MrRichard999 's help on the mondata.dat file.

EDIT: as always the flickering has to do with the game being recorded. there is no flickiering in-game.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
man, translating the monster names really gave it that extra touch it was missing

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
MrRichard999
Helly

Screenshot%202016-03-18%2004.26.57_zpsrqznhsfl.png~original

Screenshot%202016-03-18%2004.26.29_zpst4shdwsj.png~original

Screenshot%202016-03-18%2004.26.31_zpsjyoje7nu.png~original

It'd be even more awesome if this guy's name was translated. i'm almost done translating the monster names. pretty proud of myself for figuring out the fight text without knowing a lick of jap

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I would translate it as a Wizardry player might expect to see it. Otherwise you may have to create a companion guide, which would be more of a pain in the long run.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Dorarnae

that was a mistake. it's already fixed :)

Deuce Traveler

spell system's almost done. every single spell has been localized to be in line with Wizardry Words of Truth. And btw, this wasn't my idea: the game's romaji translations of its spells (empire series i mean) are OBVIOUS mistranslations of traditional Wizardry spells. they DID NOT want or attempt to create their own names.

"mappikku" = dumapic

"tiro ray" = tiltowait

so this isn't an ego thing.

anyway every spell says exactly what it does in plain english when you select it :)

full disclosure: and you can thank space limitations for that! haha! if i had my way i would write the spell descriptions straight from the wizardry 1-5 game manuals...

DILTO Darkness Combat Monster Group
[Wizardry 1-4] Causes one group of monsters to be enveloped in darkness, which reduces their ability to defend against your attacks

my description?

DILTO
Raises enemy armor class / 1-GROUP / stackable

:D :D :D

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
WEEE finally finished translating all monster names except for a few where the google translation produced gibberish. i made sure to double-check every once in a while that i was inserting the english lettering over the corresponding japanese monster name so as not to make the creeping/giant zombie mistake again and i'm pretty sure i did it right this time.

now i'm gonna translate a few more off the item.dat file while the energy drink is coursing through me. i really really really want to finish with the spells, monsters and items so i can start trying to figure out how to translate correctly the battle text feedback and start translating the in-dungeon stuff like sign-posts and the like.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
MrRichard999
Helly
Siveon
TigerKnee
Deuce Traveler
Comte

So what I actually went and did was I completely threw away everything I had done so far because I've learned how to hex-edit much, MUCH better now; and while the pictures you're going to see below are definitely not perfect in reality I have finally been able to successfully implement every single thing that needed to get done and be done correctly. You're going to see typo's, and you're going to see some missing letters maybe; and you're DEFINITELY going to see some battle text that is kind of non-sensical... but the point is that EVERYTHING is FINALLY implemented CORRECTLY!

All of the "mistakes" you're seeing in the pictures below are 100% aesthetic! I got all of the battle text operators and variables working correctly; and I got the dialog where it's supposed to be. All this needs now is a major polish and clean up; and change the spacing/wording on the battle text. This shit is super doable!

Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.35.07_zpsf5alq5xe.png~original
Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.35.122_zpsobbopi2a.png~original
Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.35.152_zpswwcqt6ws.png~original
Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.35.232_zpssrxsl9e5.png~original
Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.35.192_zps60obfxjh.png~original
Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.35.212_zpsxtkpyqp6.png~original
Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.35.252_zpse2wr5c9j.png~original
Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.34.31_zpsd77uvcmo.png~original
Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.34.29_zpsgrsfctbi.png~original
Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.34.21_zpsos0gczna.png~original
Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.34.19_zpsvu4kss6s.png~original

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
And finally... the hardest thing and the thing that took me literally days to get right: the battle text. Before you judge, look carefully! Everything is in place correctly. All that's needed now is to fire up the hex-editor and insert 1 blank space in-between the words; and of course change some of the words for less generic stuff. Obviously "1 PER-TIME" is only place-holder text for 1 Swing. :D

Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.31.45_zpsrj9nkyeu.png~original
Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.31.47_zps76f01biu.png~original
Screenshot%202016-03-22%2010.31.51_zpsb851m0xh.png~original

All I have to do now is change "AWEIGH-IS-CREEPING COINS..." to "AWEIGH-ATTACKS-CREEPING COINS..." (only have to change that one word!!!!!!!)--and then change the generic attack description I used as placeholder (awful typos and all, hehe). It'll say "LONGSWORD-CLEAVES!" or something like that; instead of what's in the picture.

That was the hardest part and it's finally done! Getting the battle text operators working correctly. I did all of them by the way; there's going to be around 57 unique attack descriptions.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Oh and of course change "Toppled" for "died" or whatever. I don't even know what I was thinking there. The previous shots may have "looked" better in terms of the battle text but none of the operators were working. I was basically posting a bullshot. What I mean is I finally got all the attack description operators to fire CORRECTLY depending on the weapon and attack. it looks wonky in the pictures because I used placed-holder text but once I change the words around it'll look great, and the descriptions will be accurate and automatic like in every Wizardry.

like, for example, attacking bare-handed will never produce the "tried to murder" placeholder; that one is for bladed weapons. and of course it's going to change into something less generic;l the tried to murder is placeholder. The generic place-holder for a bare-handed attack right now is grabs. So if i unequip that longsword it will say BARE HANDS TRIED TO GRAB!

all i gotta do is fix up the grammar.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I sent off today rough drafts of all of the npc dialog and all of the battle text to richard's mysterious human translator (for whatever reason he hasn't mentioned a name just said he found someone); "formatting" for human translator read-ability at the moment .docs of the "Town services texts", i.e. the shit you get blathered about when you enter inn/bar/shop/etc; and whatever else is needed for me to format to send off.

everything you see above in the pictures has NOT been human-translated. i google-translated what's in the pictures. the battle text will improve hugely obviously once that gets human-translated and i slip it in nice and wet into the game executable mmm.

then the town text, and then the in-dungeon stuff (sign-posts, clues, etc), and this shit is pretty much done then!

almost everything besides the dialog/in-dungeon text/town npc text i've translated and hex-edited in... which reminds me gotta finish up the alchemy spell school.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
and you motherfucking know i kept the "you touched it!" haha motherfucking classic wiz. should change "cannot identify currently" to "that's what you get for touching!"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom