Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Empire - Staff of Resurection English translation project for Game Boy Color!!

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I also realized that the different treasure chest names might need fixing.... I think I shortened those names also due to space restraints...

rainponcho

Literate
Leather Sack!\x00\0
Copper Chest!\x00\0
G.Copper Chest!\x00\0
Silver Chest!\x00\0
Gold Chest!\x00\0
Platinum Chest!\x00\0
Tan Box!\x00\0
Red Chest!\x00\0
Black Chest!\x00\0
Jeweled Chest!\x00\0

I've got about 14-16 chars for chest names. If I move the '!' to the script itself, I can replace it with another text character.

Made those changes:
Thor's Hammer => Mjolnir
Carlyle => Karairu

Empire1 uses: "Bracers of Attract" which becomes "Woman's Ninja Gloves" after activated. When you examine the item via SELECT, it mentions in Empire1/2 "Use: Changes into a Kunoichi". Personally I didn't mind either version, but I'm not a serious gamer.

Also question about Empire1 - add font icons to item names to match Empire2?

rainponcho

Literate
I agree, that is a helpful invention you put in.

Gave some thought to make strings simpler:
"In no condition" -> "Member not okay"
(entering Lorelei Market, identifying items when dead, other dead uses)

"Destroy curse stuck on your body?" -> "Remove cursed items for a fee?"
(at least I think that's what shopkeeper does)

"Cursed item stuck!" -> ...will think of something... I think this is for selling cursed items.

I personally will be happy when this project is done and dusted. Woof.

Severian Silk

I don't think games like these will ever be popular. Why waste your time?

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Hey!

These Wizardry games getting translated is one the best things which have been happening in recent years, and I'm not saying best things regarding RPGs or regarding video games, no I'm saying it's one of the best things at all.

Last edited:

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I agree, that is a helpful invention you put in.

Gave some thought to make strings simpler:
"In no condition" -> "Member not okay"
(entering Lorelei Market, identifying items when dead, other dead uses)

Im good with this!

"Destroy curse stuck on your body?" -> "Remove cursed items for a fee?"
(at least I think that's what shopkeeper does)

This could be worded different but I think the same line is used for a magic spell when casted... May have to test.

"Cursed item stuck!" -> ...will think of something... I think this is for selling cursed items.

Cursed item bound to body sounds good if you can fit it.

I personally will be happy when this project is done and dusted. Woof.

rainponcho

Literate
Valiant Magic - Remove Evil destroys cursed items but no question box.

But you're right - shopkeeper - uncurse does *destroy* "cursed item bound to your body". And just 1 at a time. Probably thinking of some other PC RPG that gives it back to you.

I'll try making that phrase fit somehow in both places. :)
And got link transfers tested and finished.

Megami Tensei is popular and has a decent number of untranslated games - from GB(C) to GG and (S)NES. Before moving into PSX era.

Wizardry had more influence on JRPG than I knew. I really should dive into them more after I get the Empire ones wrapped up. o_O
http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/wizardry/wizardry.htm

Hengki Kusuma Adi

rainponcho said:
=> Hmm. Don't know. :o
Literally, in the original game, it absorb your Experience Points.

rainponcho said:
=> Maybe already fixed in alpha tester patch. Maybe not. What did you do to make this happen??
Guessing, the first one when you invoke anything and the second one was "Backpack is full" give crash...

C4iggfTUYAEOt2T.jpg

<Character name> <Enemy name>... What?

C4ihgonUoAEmLuN.jpg

Wizardry Empire
The Staff of Resurrection

18tRDY0.png

Critical Hit! -> Beheaded! or Decapitated!

RiCy4wc.png

mobile what?

rainponcho said:
Updated text for ???-Name:
(x)Sword
(x)Axe
(x)2-Hand
etc.
MrRichard999 said:
The icons will stay though regardless of whether or not they were in the game originally but i'll see if he can add the word of the unknown object also.
Please, get rid those weapon icons in my equipment. This one makes waste item name room.

Spear
o.gif
Restoration
"of" word should use with unique font like the other Wizardries did.

3PIlENs.png

Garbled text when you cast Search Person known as Kandi.

kf0CPuB.png
kf0CPuB.png
dwQjUe6.png

This command was actually Throw, not Use again.

rainponcho said:
=> Nothing I can do about that now. May not be "fixable".
Can you make it F. Elemental, W. Elemental, E. Elemental, G. Elemental, and A. Elemental?

xsgOtIK.png

Remove "A", "S", and "C" abbreviation.

Finally made a final showdown video:

Hengki Kusuma Adi

Yes please :) Makes it easier for item navigation and seeing instead of just having all words.

No. Please, don't do with icons since the original source material had nothing to do with icons.

Last edited by a moderator:

rainponcho

Literate
Propose two patches.
1- Default with font icons. Modern gamers.
2- Classic with no icons. Hardcore fans.

A,S,C - they don't have any meaning to me. And clueless what they stand for. Upvote removing them.

Ignorant people like me don't understand F,E,A,G,W. And don't game manuals / readmes. One game I saw P(izza) Elemental. :roll: I'll rewrite them a bit.

[of] squishy. I guess so.

It'll take some more time then before post-1.0 (or "Frue" 1.0) is ready for beta testing.

Tarrant

Educated

Almost spat out my beer when I read this. >:0

Some of us have been wishing for many years to play crawlers that never had an English release -- the work to translate these is quite literally a dream come true. I'd cut my own children out of my will and leave everything to MrRichard, rainponcho et al instead... if I *had* children, that is, which I don't, so ah... you know. Still though.

Keep up the amazing work, gents.

Hengki Kusuma Adi

Did you forget about this? (This is must change)

C3l6m-TVcAAymak.jpg:small

Share should be Divvy (Gold) according to the other Wizardry games or Wizardry Gaiden I-II.

And also, do not combine Ghoul Graphic Uncensored inside Translation Patch, give a chance to make it separate as an optional patch while with Translation Patch should be remain censored intact.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hengki Kusuma Adi

Yuusha Armor -> Brave Armor
Throwing Stars -> Shuriken
MagcThrowingStar -> Magical Shuriken

rainponcho said:
=> Hmm. Don't know. :o
Literally, in the original game, it absorb your Experience Points.

rainponcho said:
=> Maybe already fixed in alpha tester patch. Maybe not. What did you do to make this happen??
Guessing, the first one when you invoke anything and the second one was "Backpack is full" give crash...

C4iggfTUYAEOt2T.jpg

<Character name> <Enemy name>... What?

C4ihgonUoAEmLuN.jpg

Wizardry Empire
The Staff of Resurrection

The intuitive imaginary transation is much better, especially if it was a spiritual sequel to Wiz4 or 7 -

Wizardry Empire
"Fuck you"

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
For the love of god don't make 2 patches.

No true Wizardry fan gives two flying fucks over whether a Game Boy sprite has nipples or not. However commands, spells, and items should of course follow Wizardry naming conventions, that is a given.

EDIT: Stuff like experience points being E.P., sharing gold should be divvy and not shared, defending should be parry, so on and so forth. And when doubt or restricted by space regarding attack feedback don't hesitate to utilize stuff like:

w/
@
or other ASCII symbols like a circle or a square.

Instead of:
Luffy thrusts at Murphy's Ghost.
Murphy's Ghost was hit for 1 damage.

Feel free to utilize:

Luffy * Mur. Gho.
1 DMG.

People here don't seem to understnad how bad space restrictions are when translating games. Stop fucking bitching.

You guys have no idea how hard it is to settle on an abbreviation that makes sense when limited so much! S. Goblin doesn't make any sense, right? I assume Richard here is limited to 8 characters, possibly 9 characters for enemy names.

WTF would YOU name this goblin? Sml. Gob? Sure, why not! The only thing that matters is that we get to play this game thanks to Richard.

EDIT: I mean seriously, requesting a 2nd patch so that a fucking potion of Dios has an ASCII "of" character!? Get the fuck outta here with this shit! S P A C E R E S T R I C T I O N S my friend.

Richard should fucking name that shit HP Pot. just to piss you off LOL

Last edited:

Hengki Kusuma Adi

C5GSQYFUkAA33fi.jpg

Reincarnat -> Transfer

C46T_eSUkAQ7DFn.jpg
C46UBkSUYAE05wM.jpg

What the hell happened here? (Map switch to Mania)

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
transfer has less words than reincarnate, thus it is better than using an incomplete word. Sometimes, when translating a game, you have to make hard choices regarding what word to use because of the limit on the amount of english-ascii characters you're "permitted".

almost any time you see a romhacker/translater change a word that is game-correct to another word that is more generic but not "game-correct" it is 100% of the time because of character limits.

Short Sword = Shortsword / Sidesword / Rapier

Dagger = Dirk / Knife

etc. The above are simply classic examples that translation groups have utilized when translating games, be they a Wizardry game or a JRPG or any game whatsoever.

Like I said, sometimes sacrifices must be made, and in your specific example it is obvious Richard prefers having a complete word (Transfer) with fewer characters because it (probably) leaves more room for the rest of the text strings in the party member reincarnation screen(s).

the 2nd thing you posted probably is something richard accidentally messed up with the hexadecimal pointers, and (usually) is a simple fix.

If I had to guess, the Malor glitch you screenshotted probably stems from his inputting the translated characters for the Malor spell one or two spaces off from where the original hexadecimal pointer... points to the original jap-chars.

rainponcho

Literate
Everything after Mr. Richard's 0.95 patch is very highly my fault. I had the transfer stuff done which worked until idk. 1 tiny error in the scripting re-insertion program caused all transfer stuff to fail. Which is giving me hell re-fixing up anything else it's possibly related to. Probably same thing with the mania map mode - I know that worked last week. So.. detective hat. Bugfix coming up someday. :facepalm:

Muah ha ha!

edit: And apparently I'm mixing up copies of old / new scripts (share -> divvy). At least Empire1 won't turn out to be a mess.

edit2: Thanks for inputs from other Wizardry experts. Puts things into more complete picture - what's very high important and what's not so.

Last edited:

rainponcho

Literate
Teleport crash - where exactly were you (floor, x, y)? I don't experience any problems.
- Normal teleport
- Teleport into stone (x-15, y-15)
- Back to start

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Rainponcho, if you dont mind, use this for making patches. Sometimes people patch over patched files and this will eliminate that. This can be a headache when people accidentally don't patch correctly and mention problems that really don't exist :P Beat uses CRC detection to make sure these mishaps don't happen. (This did happen before with Wiz 4 Gaiden testing...)

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/893/

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
rainponcho

btw, if an item does something special (like the bracers which change a female into a kunoichi), then don't use "Use: blah blah", instead Wizardry lexicon calls for "SP: Change class to Kunoichi". SP stands for Special Property, and you even get to shave off 1 letter instead of typing "Use".

Items which do things like cast a spell in battle or out of battle (an example being a scroll of dios) do not carry an "SP" tag, and any description of their use should be like so:

Scroll of DIOS: (Contains the exact same description used for the DIOS spell)

Female Bracers: (SP: Change class to Kunoichi)

**Without parenthesis of course!

EDIT: Also, items with SP (special property) are "Invoked", and not "used". The character is invoking the items mysterious and latent magical properties; he/she is not "using" it. A scroll of BADI or whatever, however, is "used".

Finally, remember that in Wizardry there is NO in-battle command called "Magic", instead casters with access to magic read spells in and out of battle, and the the out-of-battle menu command for casting a spell to "Read Spells", but of course this can be shortened to simply "Spells".

This is because S was hotkeyed to spell in the original Wizardrys (keyboard hotkeys).

Last edited:

rainponcho

Literate
Haven't used bps before but worth a try. For a patch this big, strict enforcement is sensible. :thumb:

Use <==> SP. Going to need to some asm creativity. Engine doesn't like to behave when I want it to do other things. :-|

I think old/new script says "Activate innate powers" - so that should be easy for me to find them. Although I guess we could swap it for "Invoke innate powers"

"Read spells" would hit a critical screen space issue. I think it's Spell atm - camp/combat menu. Have to check on-screen space again. We were lucky camp menu could fit the full "Inspect Member", "Check Equipment" and such.

Have to check space on syncing item descriptions. It was sorta tight screen-wise. But yeah, alright. I'll give it some more tweaking where it works. I'm always concerned about screen readability since I find 8x8 fonts hard to read sometimes.

Doubtless though. You'll find something to further explain later. At least you're educating me at a level I can understand Wizardry basics.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
To be honest I'm fucking amazed you could fit Inspect Member (tee hee). That's a fuckton of letters!

I think your biggest hurdle will be monster names. The point about "S. Goblin" being basically unintelligible is a legitimate.

Smart Goblin? Small Goblin? Does the S refer to the group? Even I don't know.

Don't hesitate to simply name an enemy "Goblin". The player won't care that Small Goblin was shortened to Goblin. If there is a Big Goblin, (Large/Huge/whatever), then I recommend you abbreviate the enemy name and leave the prefix as long as possible, like so:

Small Goblin = Goblin
Large Goblin = Huge Gob.

A player can easily figure out that "Gob" will refer to a Goblin, given the context, but it is much harder to figure out what "S. Goblin" means.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom