Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Empire - Staff of Resurection English translation project for Game Boy Color!!

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I got a question, would you be able to import the Ghoul graphics from the first Wizardry Empire game into the 2nd one? The censored it in the 2nd one where hes eating a body. That would be awesome! :D

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
A NEW PATCH HAS BEEN POSTED! IT CAN BE DOWNLOADED ON THE FIRST POST, ALL THANKS TO RAINPONCHO FOR HIS EFFORTS IN COMPLETING WHAT REMAINED IN THE GAME! THIS IS NOW OFFICIALLY FULLY COMPLETED!

rainponcho

Literate
Probably could import uncensored graphics - that is a decent "must". Might have a few more other tweaks to try out since it's 1.0+ type material. And besides, I have to test reincarnate somehow since I know it should be buggered up. Hopefully someone (AgentOrange or Helly..? for consistency) could post some real English text for those troublemaker Japan strings found during testing. Then I could wrap them all up into one "final" package for bon voyage.

I'll slowly pick apart Wizardry Empire GB1 since you're 125% correct about me recycling my tools, work for a really similar project.

Great work again on the original project, and thanks again for quick play feedback!

Hengki Kusuma Adi

Grats to the team who deserved made this patch into final… and i need a bug report and changing some script here.

C3mBPjKUEAAAuI8.jpg

Strength is misspelled as Stregnth.

C3mBl3TUoAAwuiN.jpg

What the heck is UnCurs that mean? (i think should be Dispel), Magic should be Spell and what happened with Small Figure name?

C3mB0iSVMAAvNOO.jpg

What happen with Creeping Coin name? Surprise should be Ambush.

C3mDABaUEAET_8N.jpg

Not Which one?, Teleporter (This bug where you inspect trap as Teleporter)

C3mDNT4VYAEl3cj.jpg

Line break if you inspect trap as Paralyze Needle.

Yikes! Guess i'll have to playthrough to the whole game to find some issue.

Speaking of uncensoring Ghoul graphic they should be divided as an optional patch so that's vanilla ROM can use it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

rainponcho

Literate
Strength fixed.

When I worked on patch:
- "originally" Uncurs(e), Magic, Surp(rise). So I'll let Mr. Richard decide since it's his work/material.

- CreepingCoin, Small Figure, GreaterDemon, .... original Japan game did this to fit 12 letters in that small 2-line space. I'll let Mr. R also choose whether to keep this "way" or just chop it at 1-line (CreepingCo, Small Figu).

- Thanks! Wondered what "Which one?" meant. I'll correct this.

- Erm. Trap line breaks. I should check these.

- Uncensored Ghoul = accepted idea if I make one.

Big Thanks for finding these. I'll stay around for any more post-patch work. Wizardry Empire I is also moving alone.

Hengki Kusuma Adi

When I worked on patch:
- "originally" Uncurs(e), Magic, Surp(rise). So I'll let Mr. Richard decide since it's his work/material.

Please, make it Dispel, Spell, Ambu(sh) from the original source material. This one had nothing to do at all.

- CreepingCoin, Small Figure, GreaterDemon, .... original Japan game did this to fit 12 letters in that small 2-line space. I'll let Mr. R also choose whether to keep this "way" or just chop it at 1-line (CreepingCo, Small Figu).

Shorten the monsters name such as C. Coin / Creeping C. , S. Figure, etc. And you should give a chance to create a readme including proper naming for each monster.

C3l6m-TVcAAymak.jpg:small

Share should be Divvy (Gold) according to the other Wizardry games or Wizardry Gaiden I-II.

rainponcho

Literate
I have those changes pending and will backport to Empire1 project after final approval. For series consistency, do you prefer
Temple: Take or Bring
Party: Away or Out
(I'm sure there's a whole lot more phrases to nitpick for "purity" sake; and drive me crazy)

Yikes! Guess i'll have to playthrough to the whole game to find some issue.

Oh, you'll find lots to write about then. Names, descriptions, questionable abbreviations. Anything stupid *I* personally did (Scroll of Sleep: Wake up ==> Zzzz). My own mistranslation (Aged a year ==> Happy Birthday). Some minor formatting changes (Critical Hit\n+10%). Incorrect combat dialogs. Poorly re-formatted text. Maybe even more leftover game bugs from original Japan build. Misc obscure things that got missed.

Problem with monster names:
Preemption = 13 max
Combat text = 13 max
Combat box = 10 chars + 2-3 chars
Museum box = 8 chars + 8 chars
(if you run original Japan game, you'll see how they handled this)

They all share the same strings. I'd prefer not expanding the rom another 0.5 MB just for this one issue (making 3 different name tables and coming up with creative asm solutions) - I know many other hackers would bleed to do this; my motivation isn't there anymore. If the objective is to avoid any text splitting, 8 chars would be the max. If we go with 8 chars... I don't want to be the one to choose the abbreviations. My choices would confuse everyone. :)

I'm no professional-grade hacker though. Might abandon altogether after the Empire duo is done to some polished degree. Simple post-patch polishing is enough fun; this project has gotten even more awfully awry and brutally punishing. Guess I'm just a "hack". xx(

Anyway, keep the criticism flowing and don't mince words. :thumb:

Hengki Kusuma Adi

C3tnj-vVYAAD2Ay.jpg
C3tnnBeUYAE2kQU.jpg

Reincarnate -> Transfer (there's no way we can import from Wizardry Empire GBC)

Another one when i fail to disarm any trap (which i can't get the screenshot at this time), it shows up as "Can", this should be "Fail to disarm trap" or whatever according to any Wizardry games.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
The transfer is to do it from one system to another, not from the prequel. It's mainly to swap characters back and forth for people with the same game. This uses the turbo file feature i believe.

rainponcho

Literate
Right. I'll recomb the treasure stuff and try testing transfers with bgb.

Question about Empire1 ghoul. Managed to port it over but noticed 1 detail. Is that a blue leg cuff / restraint? (upper-right corner of portrait)

I got a heavy encounter rate in the cemetary area only. And they seem to show when inspecting the corpses. If you've been to that area, you know how many bodies are there. If they're at lower floors, I haven't got a battle yet.

But I do get how it's been "censored" down, and I already did the work. Remove the blue cuff and show a bare leg, since Empire2 they're randomly "crawling" around levels 10-12?? Or just leave it as-is?

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Right. I'll recomb the treasure stuff and try testing transfers with bgb.

Question about Empire1 ghoul. Managed to port it over but noticed 1 detail. Is that a blue leg cuff / restraint? (upper-right corner of portrait)

I got a heavy encounter rate in the cemetary area only. And they seem to show when inspecting the corpses. If you've been to that area, you know how many bodies are there. If they're at lower floors, I haven't got a battle yet.

But I do get how it's been "censored" down, and I already did the work. Remove the blue cuff and show a bare leg, since Empire2 they're randomly "crawling" around levels 10-12?? Or just leave it as-is?

You do what looks best! :D I'll leave it up to you.

Hengki Kusuma Adi

C3-14uXVMAIL0HV.jpg

Can you do me a favor, please make weapon/item name without the font icon there (where'd you get that is from Final Fantasy game methinks) since all of the Wizardries doesn't use that at all.

C3-2Go2UMAA_3Fl.jpg
C3-2L4vUMAA-Ot_.jpg

And what is this? Demon or Winged Object? Demon or Armored Figure? (or something)

C3-2S7GVMAIC60T.jpg

Wight should be Water (mistranslation 'eh)

C3-2eS3VMAAEyW4.jpg

The unidentified weapon/item names should be with a full name (like Sword, Axe, etc.) instead using this icons.

C3-29dNUMAAPBep.jpg

On/Off or Yes/No? (This still On/No)

C3-3DbMUoAAIlnu.jpg

Really? If you switch the Save option to Mania also pause gameplay? I don't think so.

C3-2Z6LUkAACOJV.jpg

Learns ability -> Learns new spell (or something)

C3mDABaUEAET_8N.jpg

Which one? thing should be No trap i guess.

C3-3I30VUAEcvCS.jpg

I mean this is not Preemptive attack! This is where you see a friendly enemies there.

x6nVKol.png

Chute! -> A chute!

MKveLss.png

CUrsed item on... -> **CURSED**

DtbAT3N.png

What does stiff that mean?

EhjOr8v.png

This is where you recruit Gunter it shows up as broken text (can't get screenshot if i disagree to recruit him).

Ri681XH.png
7UubRp2.png

Sorcerer's Robe or Summoner's Robe? Also, Nothing happens line break.

stMLBWl.png

Same thing, this is where you recruit Karen.

6DuVV6G.png

I don't know what happens in this translation patch, all of sudden the game crashes if you give an item to one person when inventory full.

ZysaKTC.png

If you touch any unidentified item, the text shows us as garbled text.

IgelbdM.png

PoisonFigh???

sHqKnjD.png

DemonFight??? WTH?

CooYMeZ.png

Picked! -> Unlocked!

cLXIgX8.png

Lawrence name is not fit if you join in your party (Sorry, i had to change his name to Lorenz in my Playthrough).

2rsCMnc.png

You need to rewrite those spell description.

rainponcho

Literate
Good thing I'm not finished hacking Empire1 yet. Give me a chance to sync the 2 games content-wise. Okay, let me breathe a bit.

1) Remove font icons from items. Makes sense enough to me I guess. If no objections, I can do that.
2) Japan game uses some generic term. I guess for unidentified enemies. May change that to "Enemy" then.
3) Wight => Water. Yup.
4) Sword, Armor, Axe, Armor, Robe, Ring .. Odd Item. If no complaints, I'll rewrite them.
5) On / Off then.
6) Hmm... also? Possible? Might? Ought to? Or just scrap that line? :lol:
7) ability => spell. I guess they're all "Magic" types.
8) Have to asm check this. Maybe no trap makes sense.
9) Need an "official" translation for this. What to change "Preemptive" to?? Empire1 is this way also.
10) "A chute!". What about other traps: "Snake", "Rock", "Pit", "Spikes"?
11) ** Cursed! **
12) Someone knows another word for "stiff"..?
13) Helly recently translated npc recruit strings. Have to get those in.
14) *grumble* - another line break. Summoner's Robe - Empire1/2 consistency.
15) Backpack is full. Checkme.
16) Erm. Okay. I'll have to check for a string.
17) PoisonFigh??? Must be another "line" break.
18) DemonFight? That's weird. How? Puzzled. Oh, maybe it's a hidden asm ptr.
19) Unlocked!
20) Bestiary says Laurence. Lawrence. I see both ways. Opinions on 7-letter name? Idk about this one.
21) I'm assuming that original translation didn't fit into rom space. I can expand them now, but I'd need another... let me check Bestiary. They should be similar enough.

I'll be checking the rhdn pm later. :)

rainponcho

Literate
If I remove the font icons, I can squishy Laurence into 7-tiles.

I think the npc Lord is of "British English" nature. Speaks like one to me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence

vs US English
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence

edit:
Edge of Town - "you can also pause gameplay" if you "Quit Game" at this town location, even in mania mode.

When you leave the "Edge of Town", then the description is meaningless since you're in the territory of "Narana" or "Gordanas".

Looks okay. Counter-argument?

edit2:
Since I'm working on both projects at same time, I'll get them done together and hand them over to Mr. Richard for simultaneous release. And I'll handle the separate Japan-only bugfix patch with Ghoul restoration.

Last edited:

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
C3-14uXVMAIL0HV.jpg

Can you do me a favor, please make weapon/item name without the font icon there (where'd you get that is from Final Fantasy game methinks) since all of the Wizardries doesn't use that at all.

C3-2Go2UMAA_3Fl.jpg
C3-2L4vUMAA-Ot_.jpg

And what is this? Demon or Winged Object? Demon or Armored Figure? (or something)

C3-2S7GVMAIC60T.jpg

Wight should be Water (mistranslation 'eh)

C3-2eS3VMAAEyW4.jpg

The unidentified weapon/item names should be with a full name (like Sword, Axe, etc.) instead using this icons.

C3-29dNUMAAPBep.jpg

On/Off or Yes/No? (This still On/No)

C3-3DbMUoAAIlnu.jpg

Really? If you switch the Save option to Mania also pause gameplay? I don't think so.

C3-2Z6LUkAACOJV.jpg

Learns ability -> Learns new spell (or something)

C3mDABaUEAET_8N.jpg

Which one? thing should be No trap i guess.

C3-3I30VUAEcvCS.jpg

I mean this is not Preemptive attack! This is where you see a friendly enemies there.

x6nVKol.png

Chute! -> A chute!

MKveLss.png

CUrsed item on... -> **CURSED**

DtbAT3N.png

What does stiff that mean?

EhjOr8v.png

This is where you recruit Gunter it shows up as broken text (can't get screenshot if i disagree to recruit him).

Ri681XH.png
7UubRp2.png

Sorcerer's Robe or Summoner's Robe? Also, Nothing happens line break.

stMLBWl.png

Same thing, this is where you recruit Karen.

6DuVV6G.png

I don't know what happens in this translation patch, all of sudden the game crashes if you give an item to one person when inventory full.

ZysaKTC.png

If you touch any unidentified item, the text shows us as garbled text.

IgelbdM.png

PoisonFigh???

sHqKnjD.png

DemonFight??? WTH?

CooYMeZ.png

Picked! -> Unlocked!

cLXIgX8.png

Lawrence name is not fit if you join in your party (Sorry, i had to change his name to Lorenz in my Playthrough).

2rsCMnc.png

You need to rewrite those spell description.

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Rainponcho is working on some of that at the moment. The icons will stay though regardless of whether or not they were in the game originally but i'll see if he can add the word of the unknown object also. Not sure how much room he has for pointers. Stiff also means paralyzed...

rainponcho

Literate
Great! Thanks for all the updates from both of you.

Updated text for ???-Name:
(x)Sword
(x)Axe
(x)2-Hand
etc.

Some more tweaks then.
(Combat) Scared => Terrified (to match updated spell description)
Preemptive Attack! => Friendly Encounter! (didn't know they were friendly - explains alignment changes).
Stone => Petrify (spell descriptions)

Updated spell descriptions via Bestiary (very similar text)

Inserted recruit text, backup data strings. (Thanks to Helly!)

Here's what you missed out.

Gunter:
"Thanks! I'm\xfd
sure you will\xfd
find my bow\xfd
useful."\xf2

Karen:
"Oh! I'm glad!\xfd
\xfd
I was so lonely\xfd
here by my own.\xfd
\xfd
Well, let's go\xfd
look for that\xfd
Jerma staff!"\xf2

Fixed Poison line break. On/Off. Water. Few other stuff.

Fixing that Empire1 sign is a bastard - they hand drew a nice-looking scroll parchment. Then hard-baked the text onto it. What a pain!

rainponcho

Literate
Nice video. Made this alpha tester patch since it cleans up most known problems, considering you found a crapload of bugs. Also fixes a few new ones I found. Some errors _might_ be tied to buggy 1.0 patch so suggest saving game in town and reset gameboy before continue. Use clean ROM.
https://www.sendspace.com/file/ogvnk2

Notes:
Transfer not done yet.
Laurence squishy undecided - font space is tight.
Monster / Spell name expansion(s) will not be this time - don't want to critical break anything for this next version.

Empire1 hit a few time delaying snags so focusing on patching up Empire2.

Thanks everyone for all!

Hengki Kusuma Adi

r6ORDQQ.png

NanjiNiiyas, NanjiSukoya, KanomoNitet?!?! What does that mean?

SXjjVa4.png
4XwCcU5.png
74uzGGo.png
AXO9F7z.png

Hank, Morvden, Matthew, and Felix recruitment dialogue are broken...

gmVggQT.png

Typo (Hellbound -> Hellhound)

9paJARd.png

HP or EXP or Level Drain?

chTwOEg.png

Trap bug (Magic Drain goes to Teleporter)

sEJwSy5.png
Gwc03Ha.png

Carlyle or Karairu?

MaxeKXN.png
zzxn50f.png

BIZZARE BUG

K1aM9Ut.png

Wakazashi -> Wakizashi (for Wizardry series consistency)

G7Xz5Kf.png

You teleported into rock!

Y1iIrmU.png

Why not make Thor's Hammer change to Mjolnir?

zTVuz00.png
jIxCwjQ.png
UAjXPRK.png

There's so many "Elementl" there.

IBfxdVK.png
wVLCoXH.png

Kunoichi Gloves or Charm Gauntlet?

CCdSQBY.png
8PNc0Ae.png

Jet Black Orb or Black Orb?

8OklmMX.png
VpCLvNL.png

Broken text when you fail to ressurect any person.

1N9iZWO.png
00pQp7l.png
v4O4zK7.png
bW2Gr8A.png

Those grammatical errors makes no sense...

qKyaUwM.png

Broken text again.

Th3A0x8.png

Detroying -> Destroying

MTX0UnF.png

Molubden = Not fit
Morvden = Fit

And i made a mid-game ending video battle against Demon Tsunuoku.

rainponcho

Literate
Please mention if problem occurs on "patch 1.0" or "patch alpha1". Or future "patch alpha2".

Assuming build 1.0:

NanjiNiiyas, NanjiSukoya, KanomoNitet?!?! What does that mean?

=> Literal Japanese translations. Even with a bestiary, I don't know other way to write them. Or what they even mean. One iirc means "Spinning Diving Head Attack", which is way too long.

Hank, Morvden, Matthew, and Felix recruitment dialogue are broken...

=> Already fixed in above alpha1 tester patch.

Typo (Hellbound -> Hellhound)

=> Done.

HP or EXP or Level Drain?

=> Hmm. Don't know. :o

Trap bug (Magic Drain goes to Teleporter)

=> Must check translation.

Wakazashi -> Wakizashi (for Wizardry series consistency)

=> Done.

Carlyle or Karairu?

=> Bestiary says Karairu. May use Carlyle since script defers to English-friendly names often.

You teleported into rock!

=> I'll see what can be done. Empire1 has nasty traps which you can walk into solid stone. Or maybe it teleports you there..

Why not make Thor's Hammer change to Mjolnir?

=> Mr. Richard?

There's so many "Elementl" there.

=> Nothing I can do about that now. May not be "fixable".

Kunoichi Gloves or Charm Gauntlet?

=> Bestiary uses "Attractive Gloves". No mention of Kunoichi Gloves. "Charm Gauntlet" fits and is reasonable alternative.

Jet Black Orb or Black Orb?

=> Jet Black Orb

Broken text when you fail to ressurect any person.

Hmm.

Molubden = Not fit. Morvden = Fit

=> Already fixed in above alpha1 tester patch.

Detroying -> Destroying

=> Fixed

Broken text again.

=> Thought I fixed that in above alpha1 tester. Retest.

Now a year older.

=> Fixed in above alpha1 tester patch: Happy Birthday!
=> Inn dead --> Passed away...

Cursed item stuck!
In no condition
Destroy curse stuck on your body?

Original Japan just says: "Can't!" for #2. I'm open to rewrites. Which also depends whether box can be expanded to fit more text. Anyone have suggestions?

BIZZARE BUG

=> Maybe already fixed in alpha tester patch. Maybe not. What did you do to make this happen??

Good news for me is that I've tested Transfer function and working on it.

edit2:
If you want to "preview" all the museum items, use these ROM edits:

At ROM 0xa5db9, change to 0x00.
At ROM 0xa5dc7, change to 0x00.
At ROM 0xa5dd6, change to 0x00.

You're good at finding errors and paying a lot more attention than most-most gamers I know.

edit3:
Inserted Empire1 scroll bulletin. Actually came out looking nice and the text fits perfectly, just right amount of words.

Last edited:

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Mjolnir is fine and also can you use Karairu in that dialogue? I used the translation by Helly and the enemies were translated by someone else. I'd rather use Karairu. I used Kunoichi Gloves I think before or after the Charm Gloves were used... Can't remember :P Thought it might be easier for the player to recognize usage...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom