Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry Wizardry Chronicles for Windows (PC) - Translation Project to English COMPLETE!!! V0.983b Released!!

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
Glad you 2 are enjoying this one! I hope you guys will check out Lunatic Dawn - Book of Futures once its all done. Helly & I have been working hard on this one for the past 2 weeks! :D

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Tip for floor 8- not really a spoiler, but if you haven't already, make a banker character and pool the gold with him before you venture down again. There's more than 1 mob who'll drain your gold!

Also tip regarding classes, and I will spoiler this one if you want to find out about the advanced classes yourself-

The Thief might be Neutral or Evil only, but the advanced version, the 'Great Thief' is Good or Evil only. Kinda screws you over if you're going a good party with a neutral Thief, have to either change someone else over or level up another char. The problem with that is you'll probably want to keep your existing thief in there to open up the chests so you'll either be losing melee dps or magic dps. I dropped my Melee Swordsman for now until the Tiron Soldier levels up enough to switch.

Of course not an issue if you're going evil.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Dorarnae aweigh Courtier MrRichard999

Ok, second boss down and ahead to floors 11 and 12 now. Don't know if anyone else is still playing this, but I'm loving it and documenting my journey down into Balma Laga here for posterity in case anyone else is playing this rare gem. It's so refreshing to be playing something where I'm pretty much playing blind and figuring it out as I go, although this is not a game to turn our friendly blobber troll into a fan- there's been quite a lot of grinding on these mobs:

UXDLDx7.jpg
and
rUHT2Ts.jpg

In my travels I've found some mobs who are very straightforward,

723Ccy0.jpg

Some mobs who are an enormous pain...

DS2q71f.jpg

And some who are just plain weird...

6cQCoUs.jpg

I've found some nice loot,

6dh6ja7.jpg
fwZq8kM.jpg

And I've found some clues that are simple-

HDfSxoM.jpg

And some that are definitely not!

Cu5iZIp.jpg

I think I might be coming to a tricky part here (Hall of Origin clue is baffling me for now), but my party is all getting well into their 20's now and I've got some lvl 6 spells that are making things easier, (teleport, how long I waited for thee!) But as Courtier I think said in another post, no matter how much you abuse systems and power level, a good Wizardry will always turn around and kick your arse with some overpowered shit you weren't expecting! This game has that in spades, very few fights don't contain the possibility of character death and it keeps it challenging even as I level and get better spells and weapons.

Onwards to the Hall of Origin and the Hall of Creation!

Edit- I should add, I've found no skills yet for anyone up to about lvl 23, but I think there must be at some point. I found a 'Thief's key' that it says functions in the place of other keys 'if the Thief has the 'Big Steal' skill. So there must be some skills somewhere!

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Ack, nearly forgot the absolute most important tip!

If you get the Teleport spell and think you'll have a go teleporting around the levels where you think there might be secret rooms- BACKUP YOUR SAVE FIRST!

It auto saves if you teleport into rock and that's your party gone if you haven't copied your wizsave.dat into another folder ready to replace it. I'm sure most veterans wouldn't be caught out with this, but I'd hate someone to lose 40+ hours of game in an instant by playing with teleport.

Dorateen

Arcane
compare that to the god-awful max AGILITY of the Elminage "default caster race", the Elves, with an abysmal 16 AGI max.

aweigh, just to clarify, you are talking about an earlier Elminage or Elminage Gothic? I just referenced the EG manual, and elf max agility is 18. Also loaded up the game to confirm I have an Elf bard with 18 agility in the party.

I don't disagree with your point about the premium placed on speed and gaining initiative in combat. One of the advantages of the classic fairy ninja is to go first and unleash carnage, wiping out mutiple enemies in a single round.

Courtier

Prophet
I am playing Elminage Original right now and all me elves got 18 AGI. Don't forget Alch speed spells, very useful as well.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
MrRichard999

I think I've found a mistake in one of the clues for Floor 11-12.

EeGlnfH.jpg

Now I figured out the answer..

really, this is the answer, don't click unless you're MrRichard or REALLY want to have less of a feeling of achievement from completing the riddle..
QoL54iR.jpg

Which would only make sense if the original clue was R15 L18, not the other way around. If you turn the dials L15 R18 you get 4762, which is definitely not the answer.

Courtier

Prophet
KOW5uND.png

I'm almost done with B1F. These things can be immediately refought for some reason.

I HIGHLY recommend anybody that's also just starting the game to:

-Change message speed in settings to infinite (no more waiting, can tap through combat messages which speeds it up manyfold)
-Turn Map Usage ON (automap, unless you like mapping by hand which I tried w/ graph paper in B1F till I fucked up and drew half the map backwards)
-Use the starting party at first because they have gear and are Lv3, then start switching in your homemade guys one by one (newly made chars are naked)
-Have soldiers with spears in the back

S toggles status display in dungeon, and opens detailed info window when hovering over items
M shows coordinates or automap
Bump into walls to find secret passages (torches reveal them for a short time, check the store they're cheap)

I'm once again using a gamepad using Better DS3 to map keyboard keys to buttons. If you dislike constantly tapping enter in fights (circle button in my case) you can ofc set message speed to default 5 which automates it, but it makes combat so slow you have time to go make some coffee every round

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
I'm once again using a gamepad using Better DS3 to map keyboard keys to buttons. If you dislike constantly tapping enter in fights (circle button in my case) you can ofc set message speed to default 5 which automates it, but it makes combat so slow you have time to go make some coffee every round

I've got it set up so my R trigger on the gamepad is set to repeat the 'Enter' input 4 times a second if held down, and the 'select' button is set to repeat it 4 times a second on a toggle. The first for normal fights and the second for when I'm grinding out mobs that resummon themselves. It's a massive oversight to not have a faster setting in the game, but thankfully 3rd party software, (JoytoKey in my case), can work around this.

Glad you're playing it Courtier, interested to see what you think of it as I'm sure you've played more of the traditional Wizardries than I have.

In other news, I finally had the option to change class to a Bishop. My 'Mendicant' was level 24 and with Int 18 and Piety 19 along with most other stats in the teens. Going to hang fire until I have more max level Priest spell casts though.

There's some weirdness with the translations of the classes actually. My 'Philosopher' is apparently actually a 'Sage' according to the spell lists and gear he can use. My 'Mendicant' must actually be a 'Monk' judging from the fact he can use Monk only spells and I've seen Spells for a 'Ruler', which is a class I've never seen hide nor hair of (Edit- I have now!) I've also seen some lvl 6 spells for a 'Warrior' which is clearly wrong somewhere and might actually be a Samurai, (my Sam isn't quite high enough yet for lvl 6 spells.)

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
So I have a new No1 in the hall of 'ohshitohshitohshit'-

NkzDU04.jpg

Yeah, check out those abilities! Poison, (pffft, I wish he'd just poison me!). Petrify, money drain, Flame breath that hits hard enough to one shot my casters and almost kill my Ninja, and just for good measure, he can insta-kill as well.

I knew there was a reason I hated bleeding clowns as a kid! This thing must have been born from my nightmares!

6P6fXVk.gif

Apart from the ridiculous mobs and loot, not really excited by Floor 14. This looks like a bit of a 'phoned in' map. Very straightforward, nothing much to discover yet. Must be getting closer to the end now and I'm getting the 'ran out of time before release' vibe from this floor. Hope the next one is more interesting.

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Finally figured out that door of origin puzzle and found the (final? I don't think so somehow!) boss.

He is a new standard of tough. Some levelling required for this beastie! Thankfully XP is pretty abundant on Floor 15 and the mobs aren't that hard, (if you avoid the clown and daddy demons who level drain you x3!).

That origin puzzle is a nice one, I'm not going to post spoilers but if someone is *really* stuck rest assured it's doable if you think about it and get a pencil (or pen) out!

Courtier

Prophet
How does alignment shifting work? One of my guys turned evil after after a surprise attack, and after that I've always opted out of them but he never changed back. There are multiple messages for a pre-emptive attack, but there doesn't seem to be a ''friendly encounter'' one like in other Wiz-titles.

''You are not seen. Will you attack?''

''You see the enemy but are unoticed
(sic). Will you attack?''

Is one of them supposed to be the friendly one?

The good old trick of joining the party in the dungeon still works to create mixed good/evil parties (though as soon as you get back characters who clash are removed from the group). I see Faust can convert characters, but it's 250,000GP a pop.

I searched for sites that mention ウィザードリィ クロニクル 聖地奪還 (name of the game), and I couldn't find any discussion of it anywhere, much less any wiki-like site with info. Just the playthrough aweigh linked (start at 001). We're entering unexplored territory lads, I'll aid resident dungeon master Shackleton in making some notes for posterity

As always fixed encounters respawn when reloading a save and changing floors. I realized the pandas mentioned before are kind of a mediocre Murphy's ghost - they hit for only a few points of damage, immediately respawn and give no chest, with ~30-60xp (it still takes like 2500 exp to get up to LV5). About rolling @ chargen: If you add all the base stats, luck (randomized) and the bonus pts together, usually you'll get something around 60 points, if you're lucky >70 and if you're blessed by RNGesus 80+.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, the alignment change came as a bit of a surprise to me as well, but I just ALT+F4'd and reloaded afterwards. It seems very rare, but I'm assuming it works the same as in the other games. If you attack after one of the messages, I think it's the 'unoticed' one, you can cast spells first round and the enemy gets an attack as well. The other message if you attack you get a free round and can only melee and use items. I'm thinking it's the former that causes an alignment shift as an ambush is usually safe and usually that only lets you melee first round.

I also assumed how you react to the wandering parties must have an alignment effect. you always have the option of 'speak, attack or leave'. Surely that must be the 'good, evil, neutral' option? I've been going good so I've spoken to all of them and fulfilled their requests if they have any, usually buying stuff or giving them potions.

Courtier

Prophet
I'm thinking it's the former that causes an alignment shift as an ambush is usually safe and usually that only lets you melee first round.
Yep, my guy just changed back to good from leaving an encounter with the first message. MrRichard999 please consider changing
''You see the enemy but are unoticed (sic). Will you attack?''
To something like ''You see the enemy, but they ignore you. Will you attack?'' to make it clear you're doing something that will cause a shift to evil

MrRichard999

Game re-worker!
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
I thought anytime you attack a party that you surprise or ignores you is an automatic shift to Evil eventually? That always seemed the case with the Wizardry Gaiden games.

Courtier

Prophet
In every crawler that had this mechanic that I played (e.g. Wiz 1/Elminage/Wiz Emp/CoH/GenXth), there is a difference between attacking friendlies and getting a surprise attack. Only attacking friendlies affects alignment

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom