Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry 8 sucks! (LOL)

Is op a fag?

• Total voters

Snufkin

Augur
I also was dissapointed in first run of Wiz8 with random encounters. But then i made effort to make really good ranged party and it started to get really smooth. I even finished game. My party was:
Mook Fighter
Hobbit Rogue
Mook Ranger
Mook Fighter
Hobbit Bard
Hobbit Gadgetter

When you asemble few double or tripple crossbows for your ranger and fighters and find Giant swords later in game all problems related to combat are gone. Also not having real mages was not a problem because instruments and gadgetts cover all important spells.

Eyeball

Arcane
Wiz8 is the best combatfag and character-buildingfag RPG ever devised as well as having excellent art direction, good soundtrack, awesome exploration and some of the best and funniest voice acting ever seen in avideo game.

You, sir, are a homo.

pippin

Fact: the Wizardry series has some of the best Excel Spreadsheet Simulators (tm) available in the market.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I'll be honest, creating god knows what type of characters out there and actually testing them out and playing through the game, it's fucking amazing. Wiz8 is one of the best at this type of stuff.

Shammy

Learned
I thoroughly enjoyed making god awful characters in Wizardry before I realized what an effective party comp was. A fantastic blobber through and through.

Narnia Arnika Road (wtf, spellchecker?) was a hellhole for me because I was dumb and didn't realize that using light spell would actually make enemy parties notice me. I hid behind that house halfway through the route and as I was getting ready to set up camp I get surprised by a group of rogues turning the corner. 2spooky

edit: also I spent like a whole IRL day in the monastery

Last edited:

Gregz

Arcane
Arcanum should have been recieved as the greatest rpg of that decade. It was strangely panned as being bug ridden but, as far as I know, had only one bug patch. Arcanum , in my opinion, is the hardest crpg in terms of solving it's meta game puzzles. Arcanum is deep, it is top 5, it is a big reason why I have respected and followed the codex for years. That and Torment.

So you're a storyfag/puzzlefag and you hate random encounters. OK. I'm the opposite of you. I love combat, and I love random encounters (more XP and loot for me!)...that's why Wiz8 is one of my favorite games.

So...avoid RNG combat-centric games?

Why is it so difficult for people to recognize the types of games they love vs. those they hate, then search accordingly? That's practically the core reason this site exists! It gives gamers informed opinions so they can cut through the marketing and game 'journalist' bullshit before investing money in a game they might hate.

Edit: Even the most hard-core-oldfag codexer here will find many of the top 70 games unplayable, for them. Myself, I like maybe half of the top 70. The list is a guide to help you find games you missed that you may enjoy. It's a tool for finding fun games, not a 'definitive' list. Christ it even has descriptions to help you decide if you want to play them! In fact I wrote one of the Wizardry 8 descriptions on the Top 70, and specifically warned about random encounters.

MWnXLdM.jpg

What more do you need?!? :retarded:

Last edited:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
After many years of lurking on the codex, and agreeing with the codex on many things, this one game bothered me.
Yeah, I remember this one time I was talking to the Codex, and he said something I really didn't agree with. I kind of lost respect for him but I kept my mouth shut. Kudos to you for having the courage to speak up, I'm sure he'll appreciate your honesty.

Karwelas

Dwarf Taffer
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wizardry 8 sucks.

Your GF/sister/mother (Pick your own today!) also suck, but you don't send us messages about that. :rpgcodex:

Most of guys above said everything that everybody should know about WIZ8.

PS - Fairy ninja.

Deleted member 7219

Only game I bought purely on the recommendation of the Codex.

Never again. Never again.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
I find that most rpgs are kind of games you need to be in a certain mood to play and enjoy.

Op, try not to think about slurping dicks so much, maybe that will help.

APGunner

Augur
Hide "Wizardry 8 sucks." Threads, Ignore "Wizardry 8 sucks." Posts, Do Not Reply To "Wizardry 8 sucks." Posters

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Why do we always get these shit posters that don't even put any effort at all into a shitty trying too had to troll topic?

Boring/10

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Wizardry 8 is a game that hates you and tries to kill you. "It is not fair", you cry. "Fuck you", says Wizardry 8. "It can't be done" you yelp. "Unlike your mom" replies the game.

But again, in what game you can look at little naked flying women and actually fucking hate them to the point of wanting to crunch their limbs into pixie cake.

It's one of those games with challenges you never forget. That alone is enough to deserve the credit it has here.

jaybirdy

Educated
Those aren't random battles because battling is the game. Those were random bouts of walking that you were encountering.

pippin

Wizardry 8 is a game that hates you and tries to kill you. "It is not fair", you cry. "Fuck you", says Wizardry 8. "It can't be done" you yelp. "Unlike your mom" replies the game.

But again, in what game you can look at little naked flying women and actually fucking hate them to the point of wanting to crunch their limbs into pixie cake.

It's one of those games with challenges you never forget. That alone is enough to deserve the credit it has here.

So it's like the Dark Souls of its generation then? :smug:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
So it's like the Dark Souls of its generation then? :smug:

Not really, Dark Souls is hard, has hard battles, but I think a good player that does his homework will not really find it "frustrating" or "unfair". But Wizardy 8 kills you in a careless way. You just exit a shop and find unkillable monsters in the middle of town. Or those pixies. It's not like some Demon Boss kills you until you find the right tactic, it's random encounters raping you x20 times in a row until you manage to get out of a place and save.

It has this feeling... modern games are meant to be beaten, some old games just stand there, looking at players, saying "come, motherfuckers"

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
There are some horrible rpgs, but the true is that in most cases the problem is that everyone have their own taste. So, go fuck youself.

AetherVagrant

Cipher
Patron
Until Fallout and beyond I never thought rpgs were meant to be beaten. i knew some people did it, just like they beat mario, but that was no mean feat for us prepubescent mortals. Beat MM6 and Dark Sun as a kid and thought i was a pimp master for it.
i got some enjoyment from wiz7, but fuck 8. I

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom