Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry 8 sucks! (LOL)

Is op a fag?

• Total voters
I own the cd(not dvd) I bought it when it came out, and then bought the entire wizardy series from some local shop when it was re-released on dvd 10 years ago. Back then I had never heard of the codex, but I was a crpg fan. So any crpg that came out I supported. At that time peer to peer was all the rage, and still is, but with the advent of console gaming there was a fear that pc enthusiasts, builders, and especially crpg fans were going to get screwed. So I sucked up all the classics I could.

So I played wizardry 8, when it was released and every reviewer claimed that it was like being able to suck your own dick. What I found was a constant kick in the balls by way of perpetual random encounters that destroyed any strategy or fun from the game. I found that any populated area that was encountered offered combat in a way that encouraged save scumming and any fight was just incredibly boring, and it got more boring the longer you played.

This is my first post to the codex. I have been a lurker for many years. I have bought a lot of games based on the consensus of you motherfuckers. But this game overall sucks IMO and it blows my mind that it is a codex must play. The story and character developement are destroyed by the biggest random encounter frustration in any crpg ever.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
welcome to the codex! :happytrollboy:

where your opinion doesn't matter and everything is shit anyway

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
1.'Sup Drog?
2.Use wizfast to make combat animations significantly shorter.
3.Avoid some of the p.hard early/mid fights in Arnika road, yes you can actually run past enemies and avoid fights.
4.Obviously the game is mostly about combat, if you don't like TB combat at all...
5.Fuck off.
6.???
7.Profit

Abhay

Augur
No game is perfect. W8 is an old game to begin with, and your complains come across more like an angry rant about how one can't deal to some of the flaws that are mainly due to its time.
Apart from combat I don't see any serious flaw with the game that would make want to say W8 sucks.
Nope. Its a great game. You should try to patch and/or search for some mods to see whether it improves your overall experience with the game.
Also, there are ways to deal with problems related to combat. You just need to adapt and try out some of the alternative user suggestions online in order to make it more manageable.
Basically, you lack patience. This game is not for you. There are issues but not so bad as you're ranting about.

Baron

Arcane
What I found was a constant kick in the balls by way of perpetual random encounters that destroyed any strategy or fun from the game.

Do you mean... a bit like-

wiz1.jpg

Holy shit, even to look at the cover gives me shivers of ecstasy. If I had to fuck a cover...

I never played Wizardry VIII... don't know why I never got it. I own all the others except IV.

But all the other releases were all QUALITY GRID BASED MONSTER BASHING WITH THE OCCASIONAL STUPID RIDDLE, SO HELP ME GOD!@@!

1.'Sup Drog?
2.Use wizfast to make combat animations significantly shorter.
3.Avoid some of the p.hard early/mid fights in Arnika road, yes you can actually run past enemies and avoid fights.
4.Obviously the game is mostly about combat, if you don't like TB combat at all...
5.Fuck off.
6.???
7.Profit
Used wizfast based on the recomendations of this site. The game still had super long boring fights that destroyed immersion. Was able to avoid early/mid fights because I followed guides that stemmed from this site. That got me an hour into the game. The rest of the game was still shit ass boring combat. You may enjoy pure torture, and elongated fights. I enjoy fun combat that is hard and you have to think about. I could give a fuck about a single player grind where it is a badge of honor to beat the shitty encounter system of an otherwise good story.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I agree that Wizardry VIII is very flawed. It has the best character generation of all time but the insane amount of random encounters that take forever to finish are burning me out every time I try it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I agree that Wizardry VIII is very flawed. It has the best character generation of all time but the insane amount of random encounters that take forever to finish are burning me out every time I try it.

Sure a lot of mobs are damage sponges and a high-criting Ranger is a godsend in W8 but it has never ruined my fun. But it's true the briskier combat is one of the reasons I prefer W7, together with Bradley's sheer brilliance compared to the relative general humdrumness of W8.

Arcanum should have been recieved as the greatest rpg of that decade. It was strangely panned as being bug ridden but, as far as I know, had only one bug patch. Arcanum , in my opinion, is the hardest crpg in terms of solving it's meta game puzzles. Arcanum is deep, it is top 5, it is a big reason why I have respected and followed the codex for years. That and Torment.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I enjoyed almost all of Wiz8 on my first playthrough, even the random fights. Only on the second walkthrough, where things should be faster, the random fights became unbearable. So it kinda depends on how much patience you give it. If you are the type of rush-through gamer, then it won't work. Actually, now that I think about it, an option like "Quick Combat" (as in HOMM) would be a great. Can't see that working with Wiz8 however. That would only work for "pop-up" encounters... maybe it should be proposed for Bard's Tale 4...

bloodlover

Arcane
So... you bought a game, hated it and then decided to bitch about it on The Codex after many years because...?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Of course Wiz8 is shit. But only because its dungeons are meh. Play Wizardry 7 instead. :troll:
Though I can recommend Wiz4 as well.

So... you bought a game, hated it and then decided to bitch about it on The Codex after many years because...?
After many years of lurking on the codex, and agreeing with the codex on many things, this one game bothered me. I think it is flawed to the point of being not fun, but the excrutiation(not sure if that is a fucking word but you understand) of the combat in that game is unbearable to regular people. The constant random encounters are the most annoying in any crpg I have ever played, but then there are the storyline encounters that just last for fucking ever. Is it a great story? Open ended? Great character developement? Who the fuck knows unless you are into hardcore torture.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom