Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wizardry 8 Enhancements - A Call to Arms!

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Tried battling some crocs and the game speed was all right, even without that fix I posted.

I'm really surprised the old textures seem to be more popular. What I liked about the old walls was that they made texture seams and mirroring less obvious (you could pretty much use automatic mapping and they'd look ok), but they don't fit the game very well.
And most of them were just placeholders downloaded from cgtextures, to have something to look at until I made my own. Some cgtextures material is still used, but mostly faint overlays. The walls are based on my photo of this building.

Just to be clear: I'm not aiming for awesome looks, but consistency. I hate mods adding "photorealism" in games like Wizardry 8.
If it's something else you preferred about them, please do elaborate.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
I agree with you but, besides realism, the brick pattern of the first texture (i.e. dilapidated small stones) was wayyyyyyy better.
You could use the reduce noise filter to get rid of some details and blend it with a flat texture that isn't a photography.

Cosmo

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Depends on the second texture you blend it with.
And if he wants a hand-drawn look, there are photoshop filters that can do that (sketch and the likes).

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Laying off the walls for later, after spending some time with other stuff and getting them out of my head a bit.
EDIT: Filters for hand-drawn look are painfully obvious in most cases.

Necromantic cult is shaping up:
4fbf788aa94a94c0cd005a7597251bf5bb56b4b6b8f9fb4d81e0cff7663a9cd76g.jpg

(face resources provided by townltu at postcount.net)

Still some fine-tuning to do, humanoids are bitches to retexture because of separate mouth texture. Even if you don't need them to talk.
Some imposing negrodancer necromancer names needed, since I have always been bad at making up those.

Same for the name of the place, for now it's simply "Crypt". Well, the game displays "unused" on the loading screen anyway.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm watching this also.

I started playing Wizardry 6 and plan to play wizardry 7 next. Maybe by the time I finish both of those this will be ready to attempt on wizardry 8. :)

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I'm kinda afraid of "people who really understand Wiz8 modding" joining on that. All the mods for Wiz8 that I tried (and I believe I tried all the major ones) were a messy poo.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
I don't like the usual modding direction either and i think we have made this clear with the other guys. Either stuff properly implemented, or not at all.

There should be a testing version soon, the crypt has proper exterior done as well now.

Rpgsaurus Rex

I don't like the usual modding direction either and i think we have made this clear with the other guys. Either stuff properly implemented, or not at all.

Hats off to you, good sir.

I'd rather have a mod adding one really well-done extra dungeon than 100 poorly done ones (there's an abundance of such mods already), I'm sure others will agree.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Beta version of the crypt is almost ready. Now it depends on how soon I receive the area back with the final fix I'm unable to do on my own.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Marten's Pagoda, started anew. I have a good feeling about it, so I'll share:
77163751aeb51d104063fb7e79db89d84a1f70b89d5624b815f3c99a100f11576g.jpg

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Pagoda with textures:
57e4fc1432d67d50cb0e77f9ccc206d2a48bfa5be10517cb47ca0bc53f467fbc6g.jpg

Three levels, but the interior is basically one big hall.
Textures mostly by David Gurrea, who edited a shitton of photo-based ones into hand-painted style and made them freely available.

The quest: bringing peace to Marten's soul and restoring the place. And some wisdom-related reward.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Cypt beta is released. See the 1st post for details and download.

Please report pretty much anything, including:
-Bad balance, too hard or easy enemies...
-Texture seams, stretches and other oddities
-Things that generally stick out and don't fit

Rpgsaurus Rex

Kaucukovnik

9a15df919b83fe2e18c023ebdd97055d3db3775ab11654e5c5c0becce46adb176g.jpg

Where are these from?

Some of them look like high-res sprites from earlier Wizardries (Tarnished Mail, I'm looking at you).

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Mostly they come from various web sites offering medieval and fantasy replicas. I think the most notable sources are mentioned in the items mod readme.

And yes, I was very happy to find a good basis for that chainmail. :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom