Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wizardry 8 Enhancements - A Call to Arms!

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
It's not a new feature, it was always in the game, god knows why.

Black

Arcane
Another problem- where the hell is the X-Ray Chip in the newest version?

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Somehow i messed up and placed another PTorch instead. It has already been reported long time ago but I also forgot to fix it. Sorry, man. You can still get it if there is an area you haven't visited yet. Download Cosmic Forge and unpack it (not directly in your W8 dir). In Location Editor open your area of choice, select the Items tab, right-click any line, add item, choose item. Now move the camera to the place you want to put the item and click the "telescope and arrow" at the bottom of the screen. Use the other placement buttons to adjust its position. Save. Go pick it up.
It has to be an area not visited yet, otherwise its state will be loaded from your savegame and not the game data..

Sorry again, I'll actually fix it in the next update.

Maybe some WIP images could get your mood up again:
q7aw1cxq38c1iaz6g.jpg

It's the exterior of the dwarven mountain. Here's the whole thing together:
uqcyzn97ca3yoc86g.jpg

All transitions line up and the water stream continues throughout the locations (the latest one only has empty riverbed right now). The areas don't overlap and they totally fit together. If not for the engine's age, I'd just merge them and it would actually make my life easier in the end.

EDIT: I should also do something about those daggers...

Black

Arcane
No problem, I got a samurai with x-ray, but it was just driving me insane that I went through entire mt Gigas twice and didn't find it.

Kaucukovnik

Cipher
Crap! Gotta scale the latest one down a bit. The engine just can't draw this far, and seeing only a small part at a time would defeat the purpose of large interesting landscape features. Good thing I'm testing stuff early on...

wolpak

Novice
The doublestrike dagger issue can be resolved fairly easily. If the game has two items that can be created from the exact same items, it can create the wrong one.

Item ID 415 is the item created from two daggers, and not the Doublestrike dagger which is item ID 676. Maybe it picks the lowest item ID.

Anyway, just change Item ID 415 to not be created by 2 daggers and all will be well.

Black

Arcane
2 more things.

1. Can you add Quetzalcoatl to the game? It's supposed to be a nasty flying serpent that appears on Ascension Peak and cosmic forge shows it's in the game files but for some reason doesn't appear.
2. Just me or is the omnigun underpowered damage wise? Like other modern weapons it doesn't get bonuses from high str and while the debuffs can be nice they rarely apply on enemies with the same or higher level. For comparison, a bow bard gets bonuses from strength and still gets to use his sick instruments. Maybe adding +x% damage to omnigun as it levels up (up to +30 or 40% at level 26 gadgeteer) will help.
DraQ

DraQ

Arcane
2 more things.

1. Can you add Quetzalcoatl to the game? It's supposed to be a nasty flying serpent that appears on Ascension Peak and cosmic forge shows it's in the game files but for some reason doesn't appear.
2. Just me or is the omnigun underpowered damage wise? Like other modern weapons it doesn't get bonuses from high str and while the debuffs can be nice they rarely apply on enemies with the same or higher level. For comparison, a bow bard gets bonuses from strength and still gets to use his sick instruments. Maybe adding +x% damage to omnigun as it levels up (up to +30 or 40% at level 26 gadgeteer) will help.
DraQ
IIRC the main strength of omnigun is that by the end you can load it with about anything and it gets stupid rate of fire. So you load it with thunderbolts, high level arrows or some rare stones and let it rip, doing high damage (thanks to ammo) many times per round, having chance to inflict its own statuses + ammo statuses many times per round, and being really flexible and being able to fire as long as you have something to load it with.

Of course, low level omnigun just sucks.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Omnigun annoyed the shit out of me, because of blind. Blind enemies run away, dragging out combat.

CaptainCaveman

Barely Literate
Hi there,

Just joining to say I'm having a similar crash to the chap from a couple of pages back, though it's dying on a different DLL:

Faulting application name: Wiz8_v1261.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x3c26eee6
Faulting module name: BINKW32.DLL, version: 3.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x396b8013
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007bae
Faulting process ID: 0x10a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1ba9495491daa
Faulting application path: C:\GOG Games\Wizardry 8\Wiz8_v1261.exe
Faulting module path: C:\GOG Games\Wizardry 8\BINKW32.DLL
Report ID: d5129381-12d3-4fd0-b9d1-b26e9a7dd9cd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This happens after I create a new party and try to start the game. My installation works fine without the mod. I've tried different installation and configuration options.

Pity, was really looking forward to trying this! Any help appreciated.

townltu

Novice
Hi there,

Just joining to say I'm having a similar crash to the chap from a couple of pages back, though it's dying on a different DLL:

Faulting application name: Wiz8_v1261.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x3c26eee6
Faulting module name: BINKW32.DLL, version: 3.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x396b8013
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00007bae
Faulting process ID: 0x10a8
Faulting application start time: 0x01d1ba9495491daa
Faulting application path: C:\GOG Games\Wizardry 8\Wiz8_v1261.exe
Faulting module path: C:\GOG Games\Wizardry 8\BINKW32.DLL
Report ID: d5129381-12d3-4fd0-b9d1-b26e9a7dd9cd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

This happens after I create a new party and try to start the game. My installation works fine without the mod. I've tried different installation and configuration options.

Pity, was really looking forward to trying this! Any help appreciated.

Since the crash report mentions binkw32.dll and a movie is played at that point,
you could "deactivate" the movie sequences e.g. by moving the specific files to another folder.
Wiz8 movies have file extension .bik and are located in YourWiz8InstallDir\Data\Flics\intro\,
you may create a subfolder for them inside the games branch, the engine wont touch anything except saves.

Note this no warranted recipe, only a guess and despite some knowledge about the games mechanics i am not even sure
if a working Wiz8 install works without all those .bik files in the correct location,
But i think its worth a try, just take care not to delete the .bik files and move them back to their original location once it fails.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So I'm downloading and playing this now for the first time. Surprised that it's only 25 megs in size.
I had to buy Wiz 8 on steam as my other version stopped running when I updated some stuff, and don't feel like dealing with that.
Hopefully it will all work ok.
I'll keep you all posted as I go thru it.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hey, let me ask here. Did anyone ever figure out what that one empty flame reservoir near the hexing pool in Trynton was used for? What went into it? Anything?

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Got an error, not sure if this is a known or experienced bug but here it is.
Loot was dropped by a rapax scout, probably one of the trang psyrods is giving me an error. It's in a bag. Every time I pick up the bag, this occurs.
PJkncC.png

townltu

Novice
Hey, let me ask here. Did anyone ever figure out what that one empty flame reservoir near the hexing pool in Trynton was used for? What went into it? Anything?
The fire pit or whatever you name it is most likely a remnant of stuff that either was removed from final release,
or part of something that didnt find its way into the game,
after years od development Sir Tech had financial issues and was forced to relase the game quickly.

The required item is the famous Bela Powder Trynton, its so rare that it doesnt even exist in the game.
Might have been part of the "Rapax raid trynton and eradicate trynnies" sideplot(in case check NPC script vox_shaman_das_dying)

townltu

Novice
Got an error, not sure if this is a known or experienced bug but here it is.
Loot was dropped by a rapax scout, probably one of the trang psyrods is giving me an error. It's in a bag. Every time I pick up the bag, this occurs.
The filename T'RANGPSIROD.2.STI probably violates naming convention,
ie. the game interpretes everything behind the 1st dot as extension and so does not recognize "2.sti" as a valid extension for a graphics file.
(that would be either .STI, .JPG or .TGA for Wiz8)

The filename is most likely a typo and the file did falsly survive the cleanup(s), the correct file T'RANGPSIROD2.STI is already present among the game files.
So you could run madgods Cosmic Forge editor, open the item editor, navigate to the trang psi rod and assign the correct image file.

edit: syntax error

Last edited:

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hmm. Looking at this game with the latest patch, I'm wondering how many axes vs. swords vs. maces there are in this game. Axes got a delicious boost, which my upcoming melee ranger will be thankful for, maces have great late and early game stuff tho mid tier is sorely lacking I think. Swords still rule. And wands/staves are fucking boss as well.

However it seems that axes and maces are still outnumbered (even combined) by swords. Not a huge deal.

Bloax

Novice
Looking back, the demon doll should probably be a set drop from Nessie - not something you find at the butt-end of the game.

It would be a great late-midgame item.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom