Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wizardry 8 beginner seeking advice/tips :D

Wulfstand

Prophet
Cheers everyone!
I've been watching this forum for quite some time now,but couldn't be bothered to register(I'm an old couch potato when it comes to the internet),till today,when I said "what the heck" and did register.
So,lets get on to the subject of the thread:Yesterday I've bought Wizardry 8(got it off at a sweet offer),and was wandering if anyone could suggest a possible party setup?
For a D&D fan,words like engineer,mook,etc are kinda weird,not knowing each race's preferred class/attributes.
Any further suggestions would be also greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!
LE:Damnit Wrong forum section,could some forum admin move it to the general RPG section? :oops:

catfood

AGAIN
Make any kind of party you like. They all work, trust me. Though it's best not to roll a bishop as they are the hardest class to master.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Any Party will work.

But just one hint regarding the attributes. The height of the attributes governing a skill means how fast the skill will increase. Keep that in mind if you aren't up for an endless grind :)

Besides that I would recommend a balanced party for the fun of it. Maybe Fighter/Rogue/Ranger/Priest/Psionic/Mage.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Any party you like.

Only basics I'd like to suggest is that 2 "tanks" are good to have for beginners, as well as a dedicated healer and a dedicated wizard.

And a Ranger on your first time through, too.

Fighter/Rogue
Ranger/Bard
Priest/Wizard

seems a good beginner party.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Went for dwarf fighter(the "main tank"),hobbit rogue(I love games in which i can play as Halflings),human lord(dual wielding paladin?how could i refuse) elf valkyrie,mook engineer and pixie(or whatever its called) priest.So far my hobbit rogue does most of the melee/ranged dps,which is kinda weird I guess.
I love the fact that the game reminds me soo much of the M&M series,both in gameplay and lore-wise.
Basically,from what I've seen,Wiz 8 is what M&M 9 should have been.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's bad advice for two reasons:

- Fairy Ninjas aren't very good or newbie friendly for the first 75% of the game
- Fairy Ninjas have (very small) chance to gain an item that'll overpower every enemy, reducing the challenge of the game drastically and making playing it moot. Getting this item requires meta-gaming as there is no hint where it can be gotten, is a random drop from where you do get it, and is not guaranteed to drop. There is not much reason to kill the person who drops it, except for metagaming. Not something I would recommend to someone's first time through

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Actually you don't need the ****** **** for the little ninja to be good. Throwing criticals are fun :). But I agree with the first point. It takes ages to train the guy to be somewhat decent.

Castanova

Prophet
From my experience as a first time Wiz 8 player, I'd definitely take at least the following:

Dracon Fighter
Bard
Faerie Bishop (dont listen to these people... the bishop is only a crappy character for a little while until you make money from alchemy and can buy books)

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Rogue is an awesome damage dealer.
I equipped a halfling rogue with a berserker sword and a thieves dagger and just watched as he ate them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom