Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

WitP - Admiral's Edition

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
waiting for a train at Perdido Street Station
War in the Pacific's new expansion Admiral's Edition has been in development for a fair while now (18 months or so?), and it's finally getting polished ready for release. Seems like it's going to be an expensive way to buy a very big WitP patch (and there are hints of a patch solely for WitP coming out soon too)...

We expect AE to be released in the second half of July. The manuals have not yet "landed" but they are currently on schedule to arrive in our warehouse in that same second half of July. As soon as we have confirmation that the manuals are safely in hand, we will release the game. We are very close to gold on the development side, currently we are checking a gold candidate and it looks like the next build will _probably_ be the gold master.

The confirmed pricing for AE will be $59.99 Download / $69.99 Physical, which is $10 less than War in the Pacific. We will also be discounting War in the Pacific for a limited time to coincide with the release of the Admiral's Edition. The goal of this is to make it a bit easier for wargamers who may first hear of WITP/AE because of the AE release announcement to "buy in" if they wish. We recommend that gamers who have not played WITP purchase and try that first before deciding to upgrade to AE.

The Admiral's Edition _requires_ that you own and have installed a copy of War in the Pacific (any version) on the same system where you plan to install AE. If you have not, AE will not install and will not run.

AE does _not_ install on top of WITP, but it requires it to install and run. After you install AE, you will have two separate working games. You can continue playing WITP and any ongoing solo or PBEM games without interruption while firing up AE and getting started with that.

When we are about a week away from release (our best guess) we will release the full AE manual in the Members Club to get you started. This download will only be available to those who have registered their copy of WITP.

Regards,

- Erik

Sauce

I want to bitch about the price. But I'm pulling my pants down, bending over and getting shafted with everyone else. Such is life. I don't even play it PBEM either. Fuckers better get some decent AI scripts in this game, because as far as I can tell it's the CHS fan mod taken to its logical extreme with some engine changes to remove some of the more retarded bugs Grigsby couldn't be arsed to fix.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
For a long time I was interested, but not sure about WitP. So I decided to try Uncommon Valor first (bought second hand). Result: Despite the fact that it's supposed to be much less complex I couldn't get into it at all and the graphics were much less impressive than on the screenshots. Technicallly it's very very dated.

Which brings me to this fixed resolution thing. What's the point of the "vastly improved" maps, with the main advantage of 2D being sharp graphics, if you don't give a shit how they look on a good screen? This is a major gripe I have with almost all games by Matrix.

As to the price, it's ridiculously expensive if the product is so dated.

Mefi said:
War in the Pacific's new expansion Admiral's Edition has been in development for a fair while now (18 months or so?), and it's finally getting polished ready for release. Seems like it's going to be an expensive way to buy a very big WitP patch (and there are hints of a patch solely for WitP coming out soon too)...

We expect AE to be released in the second half of July. The manuals have not yet "landed" but they are currently on schedule to arrive in our warehouse in that same second half of July. As soon as we have confirmation that the manuals are safely in hand, we will release the game. We are very close to gold on the development side, currently we are checking a gold candidate and it looks like the next build will _probably_ be the gold master.

The confirmed pricing for AE will be $59.99 Download / $69.99 Physical, which is $10 less than War in the Pacific. We will also be discounting War in the Pacific for a limited time to coincide with the release of the Admiral's Edition. The goal of this is to make it a bit easier for wargamers who may first hear of WITP/AE because of the AE release announcement to "buy in" if they wish. We recommend that gamers who have not played WITP purchase and try that first before deciding to upgrade to AE.

The Admiral's Edition _requires_ that you own and have installed a copy of War in the Pacific (any version) on the same system where you plan to install AE. If you have not, AE will not install and will not run.

AE does _not_ install on top of WITP, but it requires it to install and run. After you install AE, you will have two separate working games. You can continue playing WITP and any ongoing solo or PBEM games without interruption while firing up AE and getting started with that.

When we are about a week away from release (our best guess) we will release the full AE manual in the Members Club to get you started. This download will only be available to those who have registered their copy of WITP.

Regards,

- Erik

Sauce

I want to bitch about the price. But I'm pulling my pants down, bending over and getting shafted with everyone else. Such is life. I don't even play it PBEM either. Fuckers better get some decent AI scripts in this game, because as far as I can tell it's the CHS fan mod taken to its logical extreme with some engine changes to remove some of the more retarded bugs Grigsby couldn't be arsed to fix.

Two requirements must be met before I buy;

It has to come as a double pack for a smaller price.

I have to retire in order to have time to play this game.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
Blackadder said:
Two requirements must be met before I buy;

It has to come as a double pack for a smaller price.

I have to retire in order to have time to play this game.

They are going to slightly discount WitP as a package with AE. But I doubt they'll fund your retirement too ;)

It is a massive game, even beating up the AI takes time.

---

@Globale Explorer - I'm probably missing your point, but the 'improvements' in the map are to increase the scale of it. They've also introduced different colours for different nationalities (which is of use to see whether the AI or your opponent is breaking house rules etc more than anything else). UV is a fun enough little game. Compared to WitP though it's little more than one small scenario in the game.

Agree that it's stupendously expensive - but then $60 over five years (which is how long Matrix has supported WitP) isn't actually that bad. Throw in another 60 for another 5 years' support for the same price and it's not that bad. AE is an engine overhaul of sorts with all sorts of stuff which I can bitch about on the grounds that Grigsby should have included them in the original. But he didn't so a 'stand-alone' expansion is the only way to get the AI scripting opened up for modding. Or the economic model altered to be somewhere near historically correct.

There just ain't operational/grand strategy games of this level of detail being made. Hearts of Iron series is chess, this is Go.

I'll probably do a review of sorts once I've had chance to get to grips with the game (so second week of August for a quick overview is likely unless someone else beats me to it here).

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
They should do what Slitherine did with Commander: Europe at War - make a gold edition for the newcomers, but give a patch with all the new stuff for the old players. So, as for Admiral's Edition, "I'm not buying it if it ain't free" :D

Burning Bridges

Mefi said:
@Globale Explorer - I'm probably missing your point

My point was that 1024 x 768 resolution is not acceptable.

The most common displays are 19" 4:3 and 22" widescreen, and on both this will look shit, and apart from that 50% of available workspace are wasted, which you could certainly use for the 2D map.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
GlobalExplorer said:
My point was that 1024 x 768 resolution is not acceptable.

The most common displays are 19" 4:3 and 22" widescreen, and on both this will look shit, and apart from that 50% of available workspace are wasted, which you could certainly use for the 2D map.

You've got to remember the target market though - old school grognards for whom a P4 is cutting edge technology and a CRT monitor is perfectly normal. ;)

1024 x 768 is perfectly acceptable for this group of gamers. Even the recommended CPU and RAM for AE are well below what you'd see in other releases this year.

Burning Bridges

Mefi said:
You've got to remember the target market though - old school grognards for whom a P4 is cutting edge technology and a CRT monitor is perfectly normal. ;)

Yep, but that has to realized. Most people have LCDs nowadays, only Matrix doesn't wanna know.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
GlobalExplorer said:
Yep, but that has to realized. Most people have LCDs nowadays, only Matrix doesn't wanna know.

Well, they've basically said that the cost to change the engine to allow any resolution would be too great as the engine was built on the cheap. There is the possibility that they'll add a couple of extra resolutions in patches for AE later on, but that anything major would have to wait for WitP2 (whenever that would be done). I think that's fair enough to be honest although I appreciate that it will bug some people.

felicity

Scholar
Don't waste your time on this game. Why? 1. AI sucks. 2. Too much micromanagement. 3. Takes literally YEARS to finish a game on PBEM. 4. Fucked up interface. 5. Too little feedbacks to player. It's not exactly a game that's designed to be playable, more like escapist fantasy for pacific war geeks.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
felicity said:
Don't waste your time on this game. Why? 1. AI sucks. 2. Too much micromanagement. 3. Takes literally YEARS to finish a game on PBEM. 4. Fucked up interface. 5. Too little feedbacks to player. It's not exactly a game that's designed to be playable, more like escapist fantasy for pacific war geeks.

Nearly everything you bitch about, other people praise.

AI and interface are problems, true but it's not like you have any choices if you want this level of detail. The micromanagement is exactly why grognards buy and play this. Shit, I played the OLD Pacific War for years, without ever finishing a full grand campaign but I don't feel bad about that since the scope of the game is so massive and immense that most players won't even realize it.

But yeah, the interface in WitP is too clunky for me and the graphics turn me off. Which is weird since I can still play the old PacWar.

felicity

Scholar
This game is complicate for sure, but complicate doesn't equal good gameplay. What's the point of playing a strategy game when (1) the AI sucks (2) PvP takes months and years? It's pointless. The micromanagement in this game is disgusting. You have to make literally hundred of TF throughout your campaign just to ensure your troops don't starve. One incorrect setting in your logistic TFs is enough to fuck up your entire campaign, and be sure you'll be spending most of your time on this. The game is about 80% logistics, 20% strategy, trust me on this.

I don't doubt some people may draw enjoyment from moving around their favorite CV TF. I admit I had some fun out of it but ultimately it's a strategy game, the fun should mostly have its origin in the strategic elements, not fantasy.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
felicity said:
This game is complicate for sure, but complicate doesn't equal good gameplay. What's the point of playing a strategy game when (1) the AI sucks (2) PvP takes months and years? It's pointless. The micromanagement in this game is disgusting. You have to make literally hundred of TF throughout your campaign just to ensure your troops don't starve. One incorrect setting in your logistic TFs is enough to fuck up your entire campaign, and be sure you'll be spending most of your time on this. The game is about 80% logistics, 20% strategy, trust me on this.

I don't doubt some people may draw enjoyment from moving around their favorite CV TF. I admit I had some fun out of it but ultimately it's a strategy game, the fun should mostly have its origin in the strategic elements, not fantasy.

Nice attempt at fishing, but a bit obvious and I can't be arsed playing today. Run along now.

felicity

Scholar
Nice attempt at fishing, but a bit obvious and I can't be arsed playing today. Run along now.

You posted commercial game ad with price tag. I criticise your game, and I'm the one fishing. You transcend logic my lord. It's fine if you don't like criticisms, you don't have to, but others may want to know the cons of the game before they blow their $60 bucks.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
felicity said:
You posted commercial game ad with price tag. I criticise your game, and I'm the one fishing. You transcend logic my lord. It's fine if you don't like criticisms, you don't have to, but others may want to know the cons of the game before they blow their $60 bucks.

Sorry, still not biting. Whose alt are you btw? Retarded "failing to grasp concept of the importance of logistics" doesn't equal good trolling; just dumbfuckery but that's almost become a title to aim for it would seem.

---

In other news, I've got a copy of the new AE manual (PDF format) which was released early to registered owners of WitP. If anyone fancies some light reading (!), throw me a PM.

felicity

Scholar
Someone criticises my favorite game! He must be an alt!

Try harder.

There are two kinds of tasks. One that is involved with analyzing, balancing risks and decision making; another is micromanaging minor stuff, like making sure your settings is correct, didn't miss any standard procedures, double checking etc. Similar to trivial office paper works. Unfortunately most of the time playing WITP is dealing with the later one.

Logistics is important but doesn't justify it taking up 80% of your time. This is supposed to be a pacific war strategy game, not transport tycoon.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
felicity said:
Someone criticises my favorite game! He must be an alt!

Try harder.

When someone's posts are so very wrongheaded, I presume it's someone trolling for lolz and stuff. Apologies if you really do fail at grasping the concept behind strategy games at this level.

There are two kinds of tasks. One that is involved with analyzing, balancing risks and decision making; another is micromanaging minor stuff, like making sure your settings is correct, didn't miss any standard procedures, double checking etc. Similar to trivial office paper works. Unfortunately most of the time playing WITP is dealing with the later one.

You see, this is why I think you're trolling. If you're so inept at planning at a strategic and operational level that one mistake on a TF screws you up, you should stick to Command & Conquer. The level of the micromanagement isn't really that excessive, but if the amount of it is a problem, then you really shouldn't be playing WitP. Simple really. You're hardly telling the world something new about WitP. Might come as a surprise to you, but you're not breaking new ground here with some insightful and well thought out critique of a brand new game. WitP = micromanagement and careful planning and taking lots of time over a turn; check out the second reply to the OP for an example of how this has been understood for a good 4 years now.

Logistics is important but doesn't justify it taking up 80% of your time. This is supposed to be a pacific war strategy game, not transport tycoon.

Logistics are vital. Especially so within the Pacific theatre during WW2. So if you want to play an in-depth strategic/operational war-game of the Pacific war then expect lots of management of logistics. And if that isn't there, then the game you are playing has missed out 80% of what strategic and operational planning involves. That few other games come close to trying to implement logistics in this manner is a failing on their part in my view. Hell even HPS have introduced on-board supply to their operational games because it was becoming seriously retarded to have games on that scale which had little hindrance on logistics other than that caused by cutting units off from the map edge or one of the plethora of onboard supply sources.

Games like WitP don't scale to the lowest common denominator. They're for a niche market of grognards who are willing to take on the micro-management role in the absence of an AI capable of performing the task adequately.

Burning Bridges

Good riposte, mefi.

But if I may quote:

The micromanagement is exactly why grognards buy and play this.

remember the target market though - old school grognards for whom a P4 is cutting edge technology and a CRT monitor is perfectly normal.

grognards willing to take on the micro-management role in the absence of an AI capable of performing the task adequately.

I wonder what's the point in discussing this here? How many people here belong to the target group: middle age grognards with 19" CRT, zero interest in technology or other games, and with endless time? I think felicity reflects the opinion of an average reader of this forum, who should better avoid this game.

Not to criticize the game or what you said. Just thought I needed to say this because I keep seeing such brawls coming up, but imo both opinions are valid and represent two sides of the same coin.

What really sucks about Matrix is that they probably don't make a demo for this one either, so people can only buy it blind. Makes it even more important to hear critical voices, cause if you go to the official forum everyone will tell you it's the second coming.

Well, I have the 19 inch CRT, mainly because those flat screen things don't last. I don't mind a better PC than a P4 though, and I am not middle age. Not just yet anyway.

My main problem with WitP is the AI. I only buy decent wargames that have an AI that gives something of a challenge.

I was also not impressed that you cannot take over a "theatre" but have to be a multi headed beast; British, Australians, Dutch, China, etc. It isn't the micromanagement that kills it, but the lack of realism this allows. Pulling an AI ally out of the fire feels better to me than enjoying my powers as some overlord of all the Allies, Pacific Region. The Japanese AI is the worst according to player reports.

The turns apparently take an age to go through. I don't mind this normally, but added in to the top two reasons, it was the last straw. I will keep an eye on this new expansion, and if it deals with the above two areas, I will eventually buy it when the price drops. If not, someone will make a new Pac War game one day.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
GlobalExplorer said:
I wonder what's the point in discussing this here? How many people here belong to the target group: middle age grognards with 19" CRT, zero interest in technology or other games, and with endless time? I think felicity reflects the opinion of an average reader of this forum, who should better avoid this game.

Not to criticize the game or what you said. Just thought I needed to say this because I keep seeing such brawls coming up, but imo both opinions are valid and represent two sides of the same coin.

If you keep seeing such brawls, then you've answered your first question surely? Cos it certainly hasn't been me in the near recent past :)

What really sucks about Matrix is that they probably don't make a demo for this one either, so people can only buy it blind. Makes it even more important to hear critical voices, cause if you go to the official forum everyone will tell you it's the second coming.

I never got that impression from the Matrix forums. People are very up front about what WitP involves, its problems, flaws and warts.

The demo for WitP is Uncommon Valor I guess - that's about the size of a small scenario. I've got to be honest though and say it isn't that hard to get hold of 'demos' for Matrix. Not sure what the need for a demo for AE? If you aren't going to buy WitP, then you're exceptionally unlikely to be turned on by AR.

------

@Blackadder - the AI scripting being open to modders might allow for some progress on the first issue and the second, but we'll see. Much has been said about improvements made to the scripting for AE but it's all so much bollocks until it gets tested out by a wider group .

felicity

Scholar
Mefi said:
WITP is complicated and has a lot of micromanagment it is good! Rhetorics. Rhetorics.

What a pointless post. I see you're those who have yet to learn how to think properly. Let me spell it out for you.

You said people play WITP for the micromanaging elements. I said:

80% of your time is doing this:
micromanaging minor stuff, like making sure your settings is correct, didn't miss any standard procedures, double checking etc. Similar to trivial office paper works.

What I meant was much of the micromanagment in WITP is in fact trivial-management - you spend 20% of your time to make a plan, then spend the remaining 80% of your time fighting through the interface to realize it, and as such is not fun, so your point is moot. If you want to counter my argument, you at least have to address this, but you didn't, worse you didn't even acknowledge the fact that if what I said is true, it could undermine your argument that micromanagment is fun, or at least worth doing, in WITP.

Now back to the topic. You're right that my criticism is not new, in fact many people within the wargaming community share the same criticism. I'm surprise you are not aware of this, WITP has always been something you either love-or-hate since its release. Operational wargame does not necessarily requires excessive trivial-management. Check out the decisive battles series from SSG, they make games that are sufficiently complicated without turning it into a bloat-ware. There are some wargame geeks who think complicate/control more stuff = better. This mindset is not unlike those RPG players who think more level/skill = better despite gameplay balance.

One of the most important aspect of strategy game is balance, how is balance in WITP? I can't say because I have yet to finish a campaign, but I doubt anyone can either, including the developers themselves. When a campaign takes you years to finish, how the fuck do you play test? Best you can do is make piece meal balancing changes based on piece meal play tests, but this almost ensures the changes will lack full scope perspective which is required for proper gameplay balance. And the bottom line - why do you play a strategy games (expensive one at that) that cannot sate your strategic needs in SP (since AI is shit), and MP is impractical? The combination of these flaws (refer to my first post) broke the game.

Mefi

Prophet
Patron
felicity said:
Mefi said:
WITP is complicated and has a lot of micromanagment it is good! Rhetorics. Rhetorics.

What a pointless post. I see you're those who have yet to learn how to think properly. Let me spell it out for you.

You said people play WITP for the micromanaging elements. I said:

80% of your time is doing this:

To which I said, operational/strategic level games of depth should be about this. You have a fundamental misconception of what this level of wargame is about.

What I meant was much of the micromanagment in WITP is in fact trivial-management - you spend 20% of your time to make a plan, then spend the remaining 80% of your time fighting through the interface to realize it, and as such is not fun, so your point is moot. If you want to counter my argument, you at least have to address this, but you didn't, worse you didn't even acknowledge the fact that if what I said is true, it could undermine your argument that micromanagment is fun, or at least worth doing, in WITP.

Address your inability to use the interface? Why? As I said, if one foul up with the interface screws up your operation, then your operation is obviously dubiously planned to start with.

Actually. 1% of my time is taken making a plan. Any dick can make a plan. If you're spending 20% of your time making the plan, then the chances are it's likely to be overly complex and liable to fail in the way which you seem to hint at as being the cause of your problem with the game. 99% of my time is spent figuring out how to make that plan work. Which for a war-game which tries to approach simulation is actually fantastic to see implemented. Not your cup of tea? Groovy. Thanks for sharing and all that but stop being a dumbfuck and missing the raison d'etre for the game. You may not like it, but hey, keep sharing out your deep and insightful views on why logistics should be abstracted to irrelevance.

Now back to the topic. You're right that my criticism is not new, in fact many people within the wargaming community share the same criticism. I'm surprise you are not aware of this, WITP has always been something you either love-or-hate since its release. Operational wargame does not necessarily requires excessive trivial-management. Check out the decisive battles series from SSG, they make games that are sufficiently complicated without turning it into a bloat-ware. There are some wargame geeks who think complicate/control more stuff = better. This mindset is not unlike those RPG players who think more level/skill = better despite gameplay balance.

Decisive Battles aren't strategic/operational level games - they are straight operational level and exceptionally similar to HPS' games in scale and 'depth'. Their logistic rules are close to retardedness too. But don't let that get in your way when making false comparisons.

More control doesn't equal better. More focus on the sinews of war is. More control is a function of the inability of any AI to perform as well as a human in assessing options without a lot of scripting for all eventualities. That's why human grandmasters can be beaten by a good Chess programme, but a good Go programme struggles to beat human amateurs.

One of the most important aspect of strategy game is balance, how is balance in WITP? I can't say because I have yet to finish a campaign, but I doubt anyone can either, including the developers themselves. When a campaign takes you years to finish, how the fuck do you play test? Best you can do is make piece meal balancing changes based on piece meal play tests, but this almost ensures the changes will lack full scope perspective which is required for proper gameplay balance. And the bottom line - why do you play a strategy games (expensive one at that) that cannot sate your strategic needs in SP (since AI is shit), and MP is impractical? The combination of these flaws (refer to my first post) broke the game.

What has balance got to do with a historical based war game? Are you sure you've played one? The 'balance' in a historical war game is always going to be wonky, because it's very rare for both sides to be perfectly equal. Want balance, play a game with a points-to-buy system for a battle or something. That's why there is a points based system to reward better than historical performance with most decent operational and strategic level games.

I'll let you into a secret - for the first two years, Japan will be on the attack, for the rest of the war, Japan will be on the defensive.

The AI is poor. That's a reflection of the complexity of the game. No more, no less. I've yet to find any decent AI for an operational level game and above. The best AI in a wargame is probably that for Conquest of the Aegean which is so processor intensive it struggles above corps sized units and is only that effective because of the AI controlling the orders issued by the player and the orders being done in real-time (advantage for the AI). Hopefully, the AI in AE will be an improvement and it can now be modded and scripted.

Oh sorry, we were discussing why you want a game where you design cunning plans and then you click a button and they happen. Sorry, you're right, this isn't the game for you. Jog on.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Wait wait wait, what? You CAN leave Commonwealth and Dutch to the AI and focus on being US. You CAN leave Northern and Central Pacific to AI and concentrate on being Halsey&McArthur on South/SW-Pacific.

So you don't have to be a multiheaded dick overlording the front unless you want.

Felicity, I find some of your points misleading.

1) Supply. Handled by game engine. Units and bases automatically request the amount of supplies and fuel they need, player does NOT have to deal with that. Game automatically creates Cargo TF's to ship those supplies&fuel where they are needed - AS LONG AS IT'S SAFE! You only need to create Transport TF's if you want to create an supply depot ahead of time (Hey! That's logistical planning for future operations! WHOA!) or if you want to risk your ships going to the bottom thanks to enemy air/naval power, ie resupplying cut-off bases. Now, I really DO NOT want the AI to decide that and creating those TF's is not utterly banal micromanagement.

2)... I was gonna write something here about combat TF's and how you can leave them partly to the AI if you want or you can micromanage them and whatever but meh. You keep complaining about the strongest features of a special niche game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom