Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Development Info Witch's Wake canned!

voodoo1man

Liturgist
Reinventing the wheel

Psilon said:
they couldn't be bothered to add arrays to NWScript and so had to code around that lack.

I don't know anything about NWScript (generally I tend to despise these application hacked languages - whoever has enough patience to reinvent <i>this</i> wheel (besides being mentally unstable) usually gets it completely wrong - Bash being an exception), but don't they have some sort of sequence structure? Or is the statement I just made apply in this case?

Psilon said:
(It's like being a longtime Perl user who's forced to use Applesoft BASIC.)

For a lot of Perl users, this would probably mean writing readable code. But I wouldn't trust too many of them with the goto =].

I agree with your point about using something Python-ish though. The amount of redundant work that goes into making your own scripting languages is truly mind-boggling (but I guess a lot of programmers like to waste time with things like this). Part of the problem is that most languages are difficult to extend to fit your needs (lack of macros and superfluous static type checking being the chief culprits), and of course the other part is programmer ignorance. I think the stick in this case can be pointed at Bioware's large size and beuracratical organization.

DrattedTin

Liturgist
From what I've seen, Morrowind's editor seems a lot more flexible and interesting than NWN's...

Which is pretty sad, when you consider the circumstances.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Gotta agree with you there Darkness40K. The single player NWN is just plain awfull. Stupid quests, stuff +40 asswhipping in every nook and crannie and no rpg'ing whatsoever. In short, just a total waste of my time.
What I do like are the mods that some people have come up with. Some are crap, some are okay and some are...well pretty fucking good actually.
I don't really like the nwn engine, I defenitely dislike the single player game and the editor just scares me but, well, the cool mods out there somehow manage to make up for it.
Cya,

Trash

Psilon

Erudite
I suggested Python because it's been used before as a game scripting language.

voodoo1man said:
I don't know anything about NWScript (generally I tend to despise these application hacked languages - whoever has enough patience to reinvent this wheel (besides being mentally unstable) usually gets it completely wrong - Bash being an exception), but don't they have some sort of sequence structure? Or is the statement I just made apply in this case?
Well, statements execute sequentially, but if you're talking about aggregate data types (arrays/structs), there aren't any. Well, none that are user-accessible; there might be an argument for counting effects and objects, but there isn't much you can store in either.
The absolute best one can do is create a bunch of static object variables (using the misleadingly named GetLocalType and SetLocalType functions) called Array1, Array2, Array3, and so on, and continue in that vein. I would comment about how badly that would mess up recursion, but I haven't felt masochistic enough to try writing a recursive function in NWScript.

Spazmo

Erudite
Yeah, and Freedom Force also uses the NetImmerse engine, a fairly widespread piece of tech that looks a hell of a lot better than NWN. Damn, I love Freedom Force. I particularly like the level where El Diablo first appears and you get that cool latin music.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
The news most definitely sucks; but that's business for you. :?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Nah, the news that sucks the most I think is the news that the people who bought the game when it came out because there was a Mac and Linux version coming out shortly after release and it's still not out, and they're not porting the editors.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Yeah, well I'm selfish, and I'm not effected; so I don't sweat that small stuff. :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom