Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Witchmarsh - indie action RPG set in 1920 Massachusetts

ColCol

Arcane
Fucking Co-op in the description , but I don't think it's necessary.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
In regards to availability, Inglenoook Games is intending to take Witchmarsh to Kickstarter sometime in the next few weeks.

What a surprise. Does nobody finish their fucking games before trying to sell them anymore?

Nice graphics though.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Kickstarter = relatively inexpensive PR and visibility plus a nice pile of money if you have half a clue about what you are doing.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Just posted about it in the KS thread, too. Looks interesting, but the release date is only Dec 2015. I think I'll just buy it if/when it's out.

Durwyn

Prophet
f4f6a15edcf71b7fdf1878f518035482_large.gif

Dark Souls vibes. I hope that next 15 or so frames is gruesome PC death

Old Hans

Arcane
Just once id love to read about the awesome new rpg game that is actually released and not some December 2015 release kickstarter or some half baked early access demo

In regards to availability, Inglenoook Games is intending to take Witchmarsh to Kickstarter sometime in the next few weeks.

What a surprise. Does nobody finish their fucking games before trying to sell them anymore?

Nice graphics though.

Agreed, but I suspect developers will take piracy-free sales anywhere they can get them. Same trend is happening in the music industry - proliferation of 'alternate revenue streams' via massively expensive 'pay to meet the band' sales, merchandise, licensing their songs to be used in advertising and phone-rings, etc.

Kuhrazy

Educated
Looks nice but why Dark Souls in 1920 Massachusetts?

This one looks more like Project Beast:troll:
1214b28024a21758b998dd9cb9f9a3b7_large.gif

These are the only conceivable settings for anything:

1) 1920s New England, plagued by ancient horrors

2) pseudo-European fantasy, plagued by orcs and skeletons

3) present day, plagued by zombies

4) far future, plagued by humanoid aliens

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Witchmarsh puts a fresh, accessible spin on classic RPGs like Baldur's Gate and Wizardry, without compromising on depth.
Uh... Isn't this like Lost Vikings or something? Where's BG or Wizardry in this?
How can it be accessible without compromising on depth? Through decades of gaming, this compromise has never been achieved. Can these people turn lead into gold as well?

Kuhrazy

Educated
6) RPGCodex, plagued by edgy dumbfucks
^edgiest comment in thread

How can it be accessible without compromising on depth? Through decades of gaming, this compromise has never been achieved.
It's a balance that some do better than others.

The fact that they're comparing it to such a weird and random mishmash of games is kind of interesting in itself.

Renegen

Arcane
It looks like a metroidvania, can't go wrong with that. Weird for a UK developer to make a game in Massachusetts, ancient horrors and all I guess.

Ninjerk

Arcane
6) RPGCodex, plagued by edgy dumbfucks
^edgiest comment in thread

How can it be accessible without compromising on depth? Through decades of gaming, this compromise has never been achieved.
It's a balance that some do better than others.

The fact that they're comparing it to such a weird and random mishmash of games is kind of interesting in itself.
Who?

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I guess I should read it more thoroughly before bitching but why the fuck does it look like a sidescroller? By "RPG" do they mean "Castlevania style game" or what?

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I'm sick of this pixelated 8 bit shit, we get it, you played Nintendo. But probably "ironically" when you were 26. Shut the fuck up about it already.

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
Also, there does not appear to be a single goddamn thing this game has in common with Baldur's Gate.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I don't remember any Nintendo games looking like these new "pixelart" games look. I'm thinking back to a thread about Hyper Light Drifter where someone said something about HLD looking like every indie game or somesuch. I think HLD has a pretty wild palette going for it, but I'm starting to see what that poster was talking about.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom