Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher 3 weird attack direction bug

I googled this and couldn't find any solutions. Sometimes, when Geralt engages in combat, he will attack away from the enemy and toward the player. I am not locking in or anything, facing the enemy, clicking attack, Geralt turns and attacks away from the enemy toward me. There was no target behind me or anything he could auto-lock onto. Really weird. The only thing I can think of is that I changed the keybindings for target lock from Z to F, and assigned Z to one of the eating buttons. I ate before this happened. Could that be the issue?

Do you guys press any of the direction keys (WSAD) while clicking on attack (left mouse button)? When I do this, it seems to work properly, at least so far. Haven't tested much yet.

In Witcher 2, you didn't have to, just clicking on mouse attack button would attack the soft-targeted enemy. So when I started Witcher 3, I would do the same thing, and it worked just fine for a while, but then started breaking down.

I think I figured it out.

When you dodge, you click the direction keys twice. The game probably doesn't clear that input after the dodge is performed, or doesn't clear it fast enough, so that if you immediately attack after a dodge, the game thinks that the direction key that you used for the dodge was a press for the attack direction.

Typically i dodge to the side, let's say to the right, the enemy goes by me, and now Geralt turns to keep facing the enemy. So at that point, the direction I used to dodge to the right is now behind me. If I immediately attack after the dodge, the computer thinks that input command is still relevant and attacks behind me, thinking that's the direction i chose with the dodge double tap. I was able to replicate this shadow fencing.

To get around it, either allow more time between the dodge and the attack (not a great way on harder difficulties), or attack with the direction button (usually W), which will override the dodge direction.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom