Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witcher 3 Performance Issues (hangups/stuttering)

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I did quickly play unpatched (because no patch had been released yet, at the time) TW3 upon release, and on a GTA650 of all shitty video cards. I went straight for story completion, and skipped most of the optional/side stuff.

Recently I upgraded my video card, and thought I'd re-play the game, with more ease, with the latest patches, and at better settings. Well, huge DENIED slammed onto my face.

The game actually runs ok, but does "freeze/hangup" every minute or so for 5-15 seconds.

Googling the issue wasn't much help, apparently it could be one of the patches fucking up the game's compatibility with multi-core CPU's AND Windows 10, or something like that. Long story short, I couldn't find anything that actually helped.

Has anyone else had similar issues, or knows of a way to sort it out (other than uninstall>reinstall>DONT-PATCH)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

bonescraper

It runs at constant 60 FPS on my 970 on ultra without those shitty hair physics. And i struggled to keep it at 30 on my old 760. IDK why would you want to run this unpatched? Runnig this game unpached is a bad idea, because they did a lot in terms of bug fixes and general improvements.

What are your exact specs?

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It runs at constant 60 FPS on my 970 on ultra without those shitty hair physics. And i struggled to keep it at 30 on my old 760. IDK why would you want to run this unpatched? Runnig this game unpached is a bad idea, because they did a lot in terms of bug fixes and general improvements.

What are your exact specs?

I don't -want to- run it unpatched, but that was the only vaguely-related solution that I found on the interwebs.

My machine is definitively underpowered (Athlon 64 5600+, 8GB ram, GTX 950, Windows 10) but I managed to play through it (at low settings, I don't really care anyway) upon release at roughly 30FPS (and that was on a GTA 650), so I reckoned it'd improve on a 950...

Starwars

Arcane
I think that somewhere along the patching process, they fucked something up. I ran it unpatched and then later patched on the same system (my system exceeded the recommended specs) and my experience was that I got worse performance on the patched version.

Though yeah, not the issue you're having. Does your GPU run very hot? Before I upgraded my cooling situation, my card would run so hot it'd downclock itself, resulting in very low FPS for a few seconds. The temperature would drop, and then card would return to its original clocks and then it'd run hot again and downclock again... rinse and repeat.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
I think that somewhere along the patching process, they fucked something up. I ran it unpatched and then later patched on the same system (my system exceeded the recommended specs) and my experience was that I got worse performance on the patched version.

Though yeah, not the issue you're having. Does your GPU run very hot? Before I upgraded my cooling situation, my card would run so hot it'd downclock itself, resulting in very low FPS for a few seconds. The temperature would drop, and then card would return to its original clocks and then it'd run hot again and downclock again... rinse and repeat.

Nope. If anything, I'd expect it to actually run cooler than before (when the game ran ok), now that it's paired with a better GFX card.

This really does not make sense. Basically between "then" (game ran on shitty pc, no problem", and "now" (game runs shit on slightly better PC), there have been three "major" changes in the variables involved:

-New GFX card: this should but improve things, and it does, between one stutter and the next;
-Upgraded from win 8.1 to windows 10;
-Game got patched.

I tend to think the actual blame lies on one of the last two, or on a combination both. I should really try and re-install the game and refrain from patching it. TBH I don't remember than many bugs or issues, in the unpatched version (in fact, I remember I did not encounter any at all, back then).

Luckily I kept the GOG installation files on my external HDD, so I won't need to DL those again.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I think the release version was the most stable and least buggy one for me, except for the fact that the game would often freeze on the inventory screen (a problem which was easily fixed). I did get improved performance with the patches, and some of the added improvements are probably worth it, but the patches also introduced plenty of new issues, most (but probably not all) of which have been fixed by now. I think they did some fairly big changes regarding under-the-hood stuff, for example NPC spawning, and it's certainly possible that some of those changes are causing issues on some systems.

On my potato running the Witcher 3 was , until now the most demanding game. Now I can finally play it with the latest patches and expansions, obviously on low settings but at least I can experience the story.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom