Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Witch hunting through space and time - Let's Play Waxworks!

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the eighth; Where did the fog go?
In which our heroine evades many cops and angry mobs while talking with NPCs and picking lots of things not nailed down with which to solve inventory puzzles. Then she faces against Jack the Ripper, who's pretty easy.

Hello, once more. So far we have faced three of Uncle Boris magical waxworks, and today we will do the last one. This is a quite cool level in that it is mostly an adventure game in which we will run around solving inventory puzzles and evading capture by both the police and the mobs that go around Whitechapel with torches and a bad mood, looking for us. Because of this, however, this level is pretty much about hunting pixels or, in this case, tiles: Many places where you need to enter you will not notice until you are looking straight at them, so the only way to find a character's house is to walk through the street you know their house to be while stoping every single tile to look at both sides and check if any door is interactive.

001do.png

002dsu.png

003di.png

We enter the waxwork, then, and enter our new meatpuppet in what looks like the scene of a crime: A dead girl's on the floor, her bag not very far away. We examine the girl so that Anus Pounder may smile again: Her throat has been sliced open and she's very dead. While we do so we hear the sound of a police whistle, in the distance. We should start going: I pick the bag and run away across a side alley. After some twists and turns I come to what looks like a bar.

004dk.png

005de.png

006de.png

I enter the bar. Or, more precisely, I enter the space between the outer door and the inner one. The, uhm, airlock? In any case this is a quiet place in which to save, catch our breath, talk with Uncle Boris, and go through the dead girl's things. We begin doing that last one, finding a bit of change and a diary in her bag. The diary is in a kind of sorry state.

007dk.png

So we are going to need a pencil, good. Now, I summon Uncle Boris.

Greetings, my nephew niece, how may I assist you?

What can you tell me about this place, Uncle?

Very little that isn't already on the plaque. I have surmised, however, that you have been mistaken for your brother as your appearances are obviously similar. I would find some sort of disguise in order to fool the locals.

How can I assist you further?

Can you give me any magical assistance?

I'm afraid that will be impossible here. The magical field is too weak.

Any ideas about how to find my brother?

Your brother, Jack the Ripper, murdered whores so I would think that your best bet would be to get in touch with some of the local pimps and investigate their appointments.

You sure take me to meet nice people, Uncle. :roll:

Where would I get a disguise?

Try finding a tailor. You'll have to break in though as it will all be shut up at this time of night.

Meeting with pimps, then breaking and entering? You sure are a good influence, Uncle. :roll:

I wish I had the missing page to the diary.

I saw an imprint of what it says on the following page.

Shall we add stalking to the list of your vices, too?

All you need to do is get some sort of pencil and rub over it for the writing to become clearer.

Farewell, Uncle.

Farewell.

Now we save. Since we are here I decide to enter the bar, mostly to show you how right was Uncle Boris when telling us to find a disguise: We are recognized as the guy who was near the dead girl's body and they decide to call the police. We then leave running, but are caught short afterwards. A small text that I forgot to screenshot tells us we are hanged the next day by the crimes of our ancestor. Another failure of the judicial system.

008dv.png

009db.png

010d.png

011dz.png

We reload, and this time do not enter the bar. Instead, we leave. Almost immediately we come across a cop, and we run away. While doing so we get around knowing the neighborhood, and we discover there's indeed a tailor not very far away. One of the plaques on the door belongs to one M.A.Sample, the tailor. The other to some law firm. We will be breaking and entering on both, though not through the main door.

012dz.png

013d.png

We also come across a locksmith who's also a cobbler, and it is obvious we will have to pay this shop a not very lawful visit. Further away, near where we got caught the first time, we come across a pawnshop and a policeman who never moves from that place, and to the right we come across the entrance to the pawnbroker's backyard, protected by a dog and with a barrel next to it.

014dw.png

015da.png

016d.png

One or two steps from here we come across another backyard door, unlocked and opened. Inside we only find a barrel with a rope on it, the door to the house being locked and not very interactive given there's nothing of importance in there.

017dt.png

018d.png

We go back outside and, being careful not to be caught by any of the many patrolling policemen, go now along the same street but on the oposite direction until we find another unlocked backyard, this one's containing a ladder that goes up to the roof. But we do not go up yet. Instead, we exit and keep going through the same street and on the same direction until we find a third unlocked backyard, this one holding another barrel and, inside of it, some animal guts. Ewww.

019d.png

020d.png

We leave and keep moving, but before long we come face to, uhm, many faces with another danger! Naturally, we do nothing but sit and wait for our meatpuppet to be kicked to death, yay.

021d.png

022dq.png

023dl.png

024d.png

I reload, and I didn't lose any progress given during this stage I save in every safe spot we come across, like the unlocked backyards. I leave and go back to exploring whitechapel. I come across a post office that is of no importance to the quest that brought us here and a dark underpass thingie that's pretty foreboding. Those separate diferent, say, areas, of which there are three: The area in which we are now, with all the stores, a dockside area with the warehouses and a residential area between both, which has nothing of interest and is there only to give more space in which to be ambushed by angry mobs.

025d.png

026d.png

Before going through one of those, though, I want to finish exploring the area I am now. And it bears fruit: After a while I come across yet another unlocked backyard. There's nothing inside, but the door in this one case is interactive, though locked. We will need the key, and indeed I have an idea of where we may find it.

027dh.png

028d.png

029d.png

Back to the streets we also come across the chemist shop, to which I believe that backyard we just went in belongs to. Then, first I try to go explore the area around the murder scene but the police is already blocking all entrances to that alley. After some more exploration and some more evading angry cops and angry mobs, I decide to go back to the backyard with the ladder and go up the roof.

030d.png

031d.png

Up there we find only two things of interest. The first's a gap between this house and the next one that can't be jumped, so I will need to find some other way to cross beyond. The second a strong and sturdy chimney.

032d.png

033d.png

034du.png

I go up to the chimney and tie my rope around it, then climb it down until I find an open window through which to enter the building. Catburglar, nya! Once inside we find ourselves in a smallish corridor with one door an a stair on each end. This floor's room, a small victorian one room house or something, has nothing at all, not even random hotspots. We go to the one floor above but find a similar situation, with a very dilapidated room and only one hotspot: The coal scuttle. Bah.

035dy.png

036d.png

038d.png

039d.png

040d.png

So we go down two floors, to the one directly below the one we entered to. The door in that one has a plaque for a law firm: Frock, O'Banion and Bowlheaver, Lawyers and Commissioners for Oaths. That's the same law firm we saw on the door to the tailor's building, meaning we already know whose backyard was the one with the ladder. Inside we find some things of interest: A filing tray on a desk contains a map of the area, for example. And a letter on another desk, mentioning some trouble with Customs and a dockside warehouse full of import tea, contains also a key to the place. This will surely become useful later.

042d.png

043d.png

Next floor down has nothing on it. The stair ends on the next one, in an entry hall. One of the doors is sealed, meaning it will never open and it isn't important to the quest. The other one leads into the tailor's shop. In there I pick a bulky jacket and, this being Fair Codexia, a Top Hat.

044d.png

045d.png

046d.png

This is our costume, so as long as we wear those things we can go visit the local bar. However, this is not the moment to do so, yet. We go back to the open window, climb back to the roof, and then descend again through the ladder. Once in the backyard, we take a moment to study the map we did find on the law firm.

047d.png

048d.png

049d.png

The murder scene in which we began was almost in the intersection of Coulston Street and Wentworth Street. The bar is the square marked as Inn, the backyard with the ladder is on Charlott Street between Union Street and Plumber Street. The backyard to the pawnbroker, the one with the angry dog, is also along Charlott Street and almost touching Union Street, to which the pawnbroker's shop opens to. Most other backyards also open to Charlott Street, but not the one with the locked door we needed a key to open. That was on the easternmost side of Old Montagu Street. Maps make those Let's Play thingies so much easier.

Before leaving I also take the chance to talk with Uncle Boris once more, given I have yet to see anything resembling a portable bridge and I have already checked almost every single tile on the first of the three maps.

Greetings, my nephew niece, how may I assist you?

I can't get across the gap above the clothes shop.

I would suggest finding a plank or something like that. There are docks near here, there might be one there.

So to the docks it is. I go down by Union Street, then Albert Row, then Ellen Street, then St. Katharine Way. It was pretty simple, through once or twice had to evade angry mobs. Once we reach the docks we notice that while it isn't marked on the map there's another pub down here, but we will leave going into it until later. There are also many dark and foreboding alleys, yikes.

050d.png

051d.png

052d.png

After looking around for a while I notice a street where the warehouse's doors and their padlocks are actually interactive, instead of being just there for show as elsewhere: Wapping Lane. There are three warehouses there: The easternmost is locked and we do not have the key. The westernmost is unlocked and empty. The middle one is locked but it is also the one we found the key to in the lawyers' office. Inside there are many boxes, but only one of those is interactive. We do not have a way to open it yet, so we leave it be. There's also a door leading to the river, but we can't go out there given there's no wooden dock thingie like in the other warehouses.

053d.png

054d.png

055d.png

Then we go into the westernmost one, which has no padlock on the door. It is dark and empty, but on the far side it has a gate leading to a little dock thingie above the river. This is what we were looking for! We steal a loose plank so we can continue our thieving ways, then leave.

056d.png

057d.png

058d.png

059d.png

So we return to the tailor's shop backyard, evading policemen and angry mobs, and go back to the roof. Once there we use the plank to bridge the gap and cross through to the roof of the neighboring building. There we find a badly closed attic window we use as our point of entry.

060d.png

061d.png

All doors but those on the ground level are sealed. Once in the entry hall, however, we find an open door leading into the cobbler and the locksmith. First I steal all their tools, expecting them to be of use later. They weren't. Then I get two keys from behind the locksmith table: A skeleton key and a small security key. Then I turn around, to the cobblers table, and steal a broom, just because witches and brooms are like bikers and, like, bikes, and a smallish pencil located between the notepad and the cashier. Naturally, we go back to the victim's diary with it.

062d.png

063d.png

064d.png

065d.png

We should look for this Molly girl, I guess. Before doing so, however, we leave through the roof and then go back to the pharmacist's backyard to open the door we saw before with our newly acquired skeleton key. The only thing we need from here is the package of medical supplies i am pointing at in that screenshot, with which we poison the animal guts we have from before. You can use an actual poison on it, but the game goes moralfag on you and if you murder evil dog instead of just sleeping it the police will notice something is wrong, catch you, and hang you.

066d.png

So we leave and go back to the intersection of Union Street and Charlott Street, and from here to the backyard's entrance. A police almost caught us here but I managed to climb the barrel and the wall before he did so he just gave up and, imagining me to be just a normal burglar instead of Jack The Ripper I guess, went away or something. We will never know. In any case, however, I throw the guts to the dog and once he has fallen asleep I unlock the bolt keeping the door shut and go back on the barrel and to the street, then quickly turn to the wall, given this area is crawling with cops, and enter the backyard.

067d.png

068d.png

069d.png

The door to the building is also locked, but that's nothing our skeleton key can't fix. Inside the pawn shop is kind of weird and messy, but there are many things we need in here. From the box with the canes and the walking sticks I take a silver topped sword stick. From beyond the counter I take a shotgun and two shells, which I then load. From around there I also pick a silver pocket watch. I then pull aside the clothes on the right side revealing a safe, which I then open with the security key I got from the locksmith. Inside there's a gold pocket watch, which I also keep.

070d.png

072d.png

Now we return to the local pub, and this time I am free to enter without fearing for my life. I first speak with the pimp next to the two girls.

073da.png

074d.png

I might be interested, but do you have any others?

I've got the names and addresses of the prettiest girls in London right here in my pocket. I'm sure I can find one to your liking for only 2 pounds.

I'm sorry but I simply can't afford that much.

I'm a very poor cat burglar. :(

Then we have nothing further to talk about.

Whatever. Next I go towards the bar. There's a guy drinking on a stool, and also the barman. I speak with this later one, first.

075d.png

076d.png

Nothing, thanks, but I do need some information.

Certainly sir. But surely you would care to partake of some of my fine ale first, sir. I brew it myself and its the best you'll get around these parts.

*sigh*

You persuaded me. I will have a pint.

You won't regret trying some of this stuff, sir. That'll be half a shilling, please. Here's your drink sir. I don't remember seeing you around these parts before?

I'm looking for some entertainment.

Ah! You are talking to the wrong man, sir. You want the chap over there in the tweed jacket.

I've already spoken with him, thank you.

Well, sir, if he can't find you some entertainment I don't know who can! Before you start roaming the streets I'd get myself a map. All the streets look the same at night.

Good idea. Where can I get one?

The game doesn't check if I already have the map, so there's no way to jump this part. Given you can't come into the bar until after you have broken into the tailor's shop and that the map is in the same building this is kind of duh.

The only one I've seen around recently is in the lawyer's office across the street. They open at 9 o'clock tomorrow morning, for your information.

See you later, when I've had a look around.

Fare ye well, Sir. Oh, by the way, Sir. I'd watch my valuables when sitting next to this gentleman. He's rather fond of the odd pocket watch or two. Fare ye well.

At last something useful. Naturally, we talk to that fellow next. The game labels him as Willy the Dip, Jesus. Uncle Boris really is my ticket to meeting celebrities and going to the best places around town, yessir. Totally so.

077d.png

To talk about a little business...

What sort of business?

Why do you think a charming and well bred neko like me would talk with... someone as reputable and famous as you, man? I want something stolen and I'm a cat burglar, I got no points in pickpocket! Now hop to it.

I need something acquired for me.

I can't help you, I'm afraid. I don't do that sort of thing any more.

I'll pay you well.

I ain't interested in money. That comes easy to me these days. But I may be persuaded to help you in return for a nice pocket watch. I collects 'em, see. I doubt if there's one in this part of the city I ain't got already. Only nice ones mind you. I don't bother with rubbish.

Jesus almighty, why is almost every single NPC on this game a total jerk?

Here's a nice gold watch for you.

This is a very nice one. What would you like me to do for you?

I need you to steal an address book from the pimp.

No problem. Wait here a moment.

He leaves for a while, then comes back.

Easy pickings. There's a key here as well. Pleasure doing business with you. Fare well.

He leaves the bar and we do as well. Once in the, uhm, airlock we take the time to examine the key, which the label tied to it identifies as opening Molly's house, and read the address book, and by doing so learn Molly Parkin lives in Treacle Lane. There we go, next and, after some looking around, we find an interactive front door. The key unlocks it, and we are in. The house's mostly empty of hotspots, and only in the top floor, and after exploring all the other rooms and the backyard, we do find something of interest: A small letter above the fireplace.

078d.png

079d.png

080d.png

We take it and read it, discovering it is the letter the girl whose diary we found wrote she was going to write to Molly. On it is writen she, the murdered girl, believes she knows who Jack the Ripper is and has made an assignment with him in Coulston Street. What the fuck? Oh, man, if I get killed by Jack the Ripper i'm surely making it to the history books! Immortality, here I come! :?

Being that there's nothing else of interest in Molly's house we leave. Our next stop is the dockside pub we discovered before. The level of this one place is even lower than the one before: The only patrons seems to be unsavory types, and everything looks uglier. As soon as we enter the guy in the hat goes to the bar, leaving the other two on the table. I try talking to them but they aren't in the mood for conversation, so I move to bar instead and talk to the barman.

081d.png

082d.png

083d.png

Where do I go around here for entertainment?

What sort of entertainment would you be requiring?

I'm looking for a girl for the evening.

You have come to the right place then, sir. I've got a few girls that'll take your fancy, I've no doubt.

I'm looking for a girl named Molly Parkin.

I errr... don't believe I have a girl by that name on my lists, sir. Perhaps you'd better try somewhere else. Goodbye.

:roll:

I click on him again.

Sir, I've told you I know nothing about Molly Parkin. Will you please stop pestering me.

Sorry, friend, but you're a poor liar.

I is telling the truth, sir. I ain't never heard of her.

Question for someone who knows English grammar and stuffies: Is saying I is correct or just a touch of colour for the character of the lowly bartending commoner?

I think I have something you should read...

We give him the diary and the letter to read.

So the Ripper's next victim is Molly Parkin. What a terrible shame for the girl. I wish there was something we could do.

I think I'd better tell the police.

No! I mean. Why bother involving the police in something like this. Mollie is just another stupid whore, no one will miss her.

I think it's time you come clean!

There's not enough soap in the world for that, though. Just look at him!

OK OK. She is one of my girls. I'm very sorry about this but the man she has an appointment with is one of my best clients. This evidence is very vague anyway. If I were you I would go about my business and forget I ever got involved.

I think you'd better tell me where they'are meeting.

And ruin one of my most profitable business relationships? Not likely. If you can find some way to compensate my loss, then I may consider it. For example, I had a shipment of tea confiscated and put into storage. If you can bring me some back so that I can serve my better off customers, then I'll help you.

Ok, I'll find your tea.

Take this crowbar to open the crates it's stored in. Farewell.

We leave and, once outside, we notice the three guys from inside are waiting for us on the alley. If we move to another alley, they will be there instead. If we try to leave to dock going straight to the street where the warehouses are we will find, instead, there's a cop in a fixed position blocking that way. Hmpf. There are two ways of solving this problem: One is with a whistle I forgot to pick. We blow it, the cops will believe it to be one of theirs, they will come running, we will run inside the bar, and they lowlifes will run away scared of the police. The other way is the one I'm going to use: You place yourself in the mouth of the alley there are in and shoot the shotgun we did find and load before. The cartridges are blanks so no one will be hurt, but the police will come running all the same, we will run into the bar to wait for them to go, and the lowlifes will run away scared of the police. If we had no way to solve the situation we would get mugged and lose all of our inventory, basicaly meaning we need to restart the stage.

084d.png

Now we can go around the police watching the warehouses and enter the one we unlocked before, using the lawyers' key. We go straight to the interactive crate we found before and thanks to the crowbar we are now able to open it. Inside there are many packages of fine chinese tea, which is wasted on such an establishment but whatever. We pick the boxes and take them to the dirty guy at the bar.

085d.png

086d.png

087d.png

Here's your tea.

Thank you. Although its against my judgement I'll help you. It'll save on girls at any rate. This is the key to the end warehouse on Wapping Lane. Molly should already be there. She took the other key and was going to meet the man inside the warehouse. Come and tell me the result - if you're still alive. Farewell.

We go straight there, unlock the padlock, and enter. The warehouse is kind of empty, so we move straight to the other side and there, next to the gate leading into the wooden dock thingy and the river, we find Molly.

088d.png

089d.png

090d.png

091d.png

You must be Molly Parkin.

Who told you my name? ANd how the hell did you get in here?

I have my methods.

You won't stop me from killing Jack the Ripper. I demand the satisfaction of watching him die.

Be my guest, Anus will totally love it. Maybe that'll make Jack more tired once it is my turn to try, too.

I'm sorry but Jack the Ripper is my brother.

Screw this game. ¬¬U

Your brother... That monster is your brother?

Yes, and I have the right to punish him.

It's spanking time!

Yes. You must be given a chance first. But if you fail then I shall take his life from him. Good luck.

We save and go out. As soon as we do so, Molly slams the door shut, yay. Then we turn to the side to face Jack the Ripper himself, as we prepare our sword cane to fight him. Before, however, we will let him kill us once. And prepare to be disapointed: He's weak. His attacks do somewhere between 02 and 06 damage, meaning to kill us he will have to strike us many times.

092d.png

093d.png

094d.png

095d.png

096d.png

There went five minutes of my life. Now we reload, go outside, watch as Molly slams the door shut behind us, prepare our sword cane, and kick Jack's butt to the Thames. The most interesting part of the fight is that both you and Jack are able to parry during it: You must click when he's about to hit you to parry his knife with your blade, and he uses his bag to parry your sword cane. But given his attacks are so weak and how easy it is to parry him it's kind of a wasted climatic moment: You just unleash a flurry of strikes from all three directions until you overwhelm him and strike him. He will then step back once, you then follow him and repeat. Do it thrice and he will have nowhere to step back, so you will pierce his chest with your sword and he will fall into the Thames.

097d.png

099d.png

100df.png

101dtp.png

103d.png

104d.png

105d.png

106dn.png

Cue lightshow, cue return to the magical museum. What awaits us now that we have defeated the four evil twins as our ancestors did before us? Next update our heroine's current adventure will come to an end as she faces the evil witch who got mutilated for trying to steal a chicken and decided to curse the villain who did her so. I should side with her instead but this is not one of those games, so we will defeat her, survive to watch a completely gratuitous plot twist, and free our family from the ancient curse, once and for all!

Also, cute birdie: :M

Now unto other things...

GarfunkeL said:
A question though - was there any hints to use that coal, beside the cryptic "improve a filter"? And how big was the pixel? Not cool if the only way to find it, seriously, is to go pixel hunting like that.

If there is a better clue I never found it, honestly. It's kind of similar to the London chapter when finding the doors to the backyards or the door to Molly's house: You step on a tile, turn left, then turn right twice, then turn back left once to be looking straight into the corridor and step into the next tile, etc. Then you notice one of the wooden props is actually somewhat burnt, which can be seen in one of the screenshots, and try to interact with it.

It wasn't so bad, though. The Elvira games, to which Waxworks is kind of a spiritual successor, have downright criminal bouts of pixel hunting, including going through a dark maze, tile by tile, trying to find the one tile in whose floor there's a two by two pixels thingie you have to interact with, with almost no hint about what to look for or even that you have to look for it in that maze. Waxworks, even at its worst, is friendlier and tender than that.

Fowyr said:
But this is common knowledge what activated carbon may be used as filter for many gases.

*ahem*

See this? It's my heart, broken. Thank you.

Crooked Bee said:
You're quite ... nitpicky, BC. :roll:

Of course I'm not. I'm just whiny.

Crooked Bee said:
But aren't witches actually sort of chemists, with all that potion-brewing business they're usually engaged in?

That's actually a good point, you know? I'll be brooding over there.

Though it could be understood as what us witches do being more of Spagyrics while the properties of Coal being more of an Mineral Alchemy, thingie. That way, uhm, I can have some pride left, at least.

Cenobyte said:
Hehe, still showing all possible ways to die?

Yes, though I believe I missed one on the mine. :(

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Black Cat said:
Cue lightshow, cue return to the magical museum. What awaits us now that we have defeated the four evil twins as our ancestors did before us? Next update our heroine's current adventure will come to an end as she faces the evil witch who got mutilated for trying to steal a chicken and decided to curse the villain who did her so. I should side with her instead but this is not one of those games, so we will defeat her, survive to watch a completely gratuitous plot twist, and free our family from the ancient curse, once and for all!
Good work. :thumbsup:
Also about other Elvira games, hunting for material components in Jaws of Cerberus was very interesting. Casting all these fireballs with help of napkins and posters was cool. And you constantly experimented with spell components, because they have very vague description.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You're so good, I stand in awe. :salute: Looking forward to lifting the ancient curse.

BC said:
That's actually a good point, you know? I'll be brooding over there.

Though it could be understood as what us witches do being more of Spagyrics while the properties of Coal being more of an Mineral Alchemy, thingie. That way, uhm, I can have some pride left, at least.

Well, as far as I know, coal has traditionally been used by witches for some, uhm, dark stuffies. Which probably doesn't have anything to do with its chemical properties, though. Anyway, you're the best witch evar, you can do without those cheap tricks -- the magic of your LP should suffice.

BC said:
First I steal all their tools, expecting them to be of use later. They weren't.

Incline.

Black Cat

Magister
Chapter the ninth; A witch on a diet.
In which our heroine finally gets to face the witch who cursed the family line, and goes extreme on a kind old lady's butt faces her on an epic duel of wit, charm, and arcane prowess! When the dust settles, she will have saved a total idiot her very beloved brother from the clutches of the evil curse, and with a single stroke erased all the evil her family had done in the past!

This is it, ladies and gentlemen. The final stage, the last waxwork! Tonight we dine in hell, etc. As we come out the waxwork where we faced Jack the Ripper the big bald pervert is waiting for us with even more instructions from Uncle Boris, as well as some items we will need in the next battle.

Well done, Sir miss. I am sure your uncle would have been most pleased with your success. Before he left us he instructed me that in the event you complete your tasks successfully I was to give you these items.

He gives us four items: A ring, an amulet, a flask with some kind of potion, and a dagger. Then Uncle Boris joins our little chat.

Excellent job, nephew niece. Each one of the relics that my faithful servant has given you was originally owned by one of your evil ancestors.

Although originally possessing great magical powers, I could not allow you to have them earlier, as there was a great danger that the evil taht was associated with them would also infect you. Your success in defeating their owners has now dispelled that evil, leaving only their original powers intact, and it is now safe for you to have them. You must now enter yet another waxwork and go back in time to confront the witch that placed the curse on our family.

You must use the remaining power in the relics to stop the witch from placing the curse. This is the only way to save your brother Alex and rid our family of the terrible curse forever.

The Amulet was owned by the High Priest of Anubis. Wearing it will help to protect you from the witch's spells.

The vial contains the poison that your evil ancestor used to control the minds of his helpless victims before he turned them into the plant-like creatures you encountered earlier. Throw this at the witch, when you first see her. The mind altering chemicals in the vial should confuse and distract her logn enough for you to locate and use some sort of weapon.

The knife was used by Jack the Ripper to commit his evil crimes. When the hag is on the ground it should be plunged deep into her evil neck.

Her evil neck? You are overdoing it a little bit, Uncle.

The ring was worn by Vladimir. If you succeed in stopping the witch from casting her terrible curse it's power will allow you to return to the Waxworks and revive your brother Alex.

Remember, nephew niece, the witch is very cunning, it is vital that you use the artifacts in precisely the correct order, as I have described to you. Good fortune, the future and indeed the past of our entire family is depending on you.

Jesus, that was a lot. And yes, the game spells to you the order in which you need to use the items before you go face the witch in mortal combat. I do not like that very much, myself, as after all the pixel hunting, puzzle solving, dungeon crawling, and moster hunting we have done a last puzzle wouldn't precisely kill us. In any case, we run away from the bald pervert so he doesn't starts shoving us around, until we find the last waxwork.

001ej.png

It has no plaque to read. Naturally, I do not wear the amulet before entering it the first time. We come to a place where a mob is about brutally punishing a witch for some reason, and given we haven't the amulet equiped she stops us here without much effort.

002e.png

They place her hand in the stump and cut it down with the axe you can see in the image. She then proceeds to curse them, who kind of deserve it. I kind of love the image of her calling upon the curse, very dramatic and overdone. With animation is even cooler, I do aprove.

003eok.png

So it shall be through time, in every generation in which your family bears twins, one shall belong to Beelzebub.

This is the only death screen on this waxwork, so now we can reload and wear the amulet before entering the waxwork. That changes the begining of the scene. Where before she told us to hold still, now there's another one speaking. Our ancestor, I presume.

Bring the crone here. I'll teach her not to steal from mine or any other family, again.

We take the chance to throw the poison vial to her. The game tells us how it breaks on impact and she starts screaming in agony as the poison burns her flesh. He really loved that chicken, you monster! :roll:

Now we have only a short while to act before everything goes back to normal, so we quickly pick up the crossbow you can see on the left, mysteriously loaded though it doesn't look so in the image. Almost immediately they carry the witch to the stump and cut her hand.

If this was one of those games I would have been tempted to crossbow my retarded brute of an ancestor instead, thus stoping him from cutting the witch's hand and dispelling the curse all the same. I can't really swallow the stuff with the witch being evil because she did cast a curse upon the guy who cut her right hand for stealing a chicken, but the guy itself being good or whatever instead because she was a chicken stealing witch. Though I may be a little bit biased, honor among witches like.

004eo.png

005en.png

006ep.png

She doesn't take the cutting of her hand well, watching blood squirt from the wound with her mouth agape and her face in pain. Being a kind hearted and understanding individual I shoot her with my crossbow! And we have obviously inherited Prince Cassim's mad ranged combat skills, as the result implies. Talk about bull's eye.

007ezx.png

008el.png

Or should I say Witch's eye? She falls to the ground, in any case, and quickly we proceed to pierce her throat with our magical dagger! That'll teach the evil crone not to steal chickens, I reckon. Victory over the defenseless old woman is ours, etc.

009e.png

010eq.png

011ep.png

A light show, then the sight of red curtains. We have returned, once more, to Uncle Boris' museum. As soon as we arrive he, by means of his crystal ball, starts talking to us, to congratulate us and give us our last instructions.

Well done, my nephew niece. You have lifted the curse from the family forever and saved your brother. History has been re-written and the evil things your ancestors did have been undone. Now you must go to your brother, Alex.

012eq.png

013eqq.png

If we do not hurry up in waking him Uncle Boris will start nagging at us from his crystal ball, telling us not to hesitate and to revive him using the Necromancer's ring. We do so, and almost immediately wish we had not. He's an utter and bloody imbecile!

014e.png

015e.png

Wow, with an axe? That's really kewl, man. Like, totally rad!

kyonfacepalm.jpg

Then she was going to cast a terrible spell... a magic spell! A shimmering figure appeared suddenly and stopped her though by shooting her with an arrow.

It was really good...

facepalmp.jpg

He shot her straight through the head but as she died she muttered something and the man turned into a demon with horns and hoofs. That was when I woke up.

This is the gratuitous plot twist I mentioned during the last update. Remember what the second undead ancestor said to us during the graveyard stage? Our character is actually the evil twin from this batch, and Alex is a moron the good one. This may also be related to the fact that we needed to defeat the evil twins related to each of the four items before being able to use them without their evil energies corrupting us, given we were just evil waiting to happen. It's kind of wasted on this game, though, given plot is mostly an excuse to crawl dungeons, solve puzzles, and be killed in horrible ways. It would be interesting to see the same premise in a visual novel, for example.

But the storyfag bureau is next door, here we crawl dungeons because crawling dungeons is what cool people does. And as you have seen the dungeons are tres cool, the puzzles interesting and unfair, and the death scenes very grotesque. Even if we did it to save a retard our beloved Bro and torture a hungry old lady, I'd say it was well worth it.

Shall we go home now?

016ea.png

017e.png

And thus the game ends. I hope you all enjoyed our little adventure in horror dungeon crawling, my bad jokes, and the colorful deaths, and I also hope you will be back for our next adventure. Which will be THIS game.

Burn the degenerate witch! Burn her!
:mob:

C'mon, lower those weapons and stuffies. I was just joking, really. Next I'm doing Elvira, Mistress of the Dark. It shouldn't qualify as kind of blind given I was checking the spellbook a couple of days ago and noticed something that, I believe, is the one clue I lacked to finally defeat that bloody final boss. In any case either it is, and I win, or it isn't, and I'll have to improvise kind of like when I did The Legacy, which was halfway blind too. So more Horrorsoft and funky deaths to come, soon!

Now, to other things.

Fowyr said:
Also about other Elvira games, hunting for material components in Jaws of Cerberus was very interesting. Casting all these fireballs with help of napkins and posters was cool. And you constantly experimented with spell components, because they have very vague description.

Indeed, Jaws of Cerberus in general is pretty creative and wacky, and very detailed, though sometimes it got really crazy and insane, like with the costumes. I kind of missed the original's combat system, though.

Crooked Bee said:

You'll make me blush. :oops:

:love:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
:salute: for finishing LP.
Black Cat said:
So more Horrorsoft and funky deaths to come, soon!
:yeah:
This is great, oh glorious feline! :M
I hope certain hawk will be included, or maybe even gif'ed.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If you turn around in the jack the ripper section there is another death.

Kz3r0

Arcane
Great LP, I am always interested in old games even if I am too lazy sometimes to play them.
Black-Cat-Butterfly-Glitter.gif

:love:

lightbane

Arcane
The ending was a bit extreme, instead of killing her a negotiation was also possible... Wait a minute, this is the RPG Codex.

:x :rpgcodex: :decline: KILL!! MAIM!!! PURGE THE HERETIC!!! BURN THAT WITCH!!!!

I'm eager to see these Elvira games lped...

Kz3r0

Arcane
lightbane said:
The ending was a bit extreme, instead of killing her a negotiation was also possible...

Can we see this too?
pwettypwease128459099906108750.jpg

lightbane said:
I'm eager to see these Elvira games lped...
This, this.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Congrats on finishing this extraordinary LP. :salute:

You're truly Codex's own Witch...

Which will be THIS game.

:shock:

...as recognised by higher authorities.

46306076.jpg

lightbane

Arcane
Kz3r0 said:
lightbane said:
The ending was a bit extreme, instead of killing her a negotiation was also possible...

Can we see this too?

I checked it to be sure but unfortunately it's not possible, it's seems you're forced to kill her either way, so no, my mistake, my memory failed me again. In any case, :love: Good lp!!

Black Cat

Magister
Fowyr said:
I hope certain hawk will be included, or maybe even gif'ed.

Of course it will, it's a classic. The hawk and the goblins are, for me, the most iconic ones from Mistress of the Dark, and the goblins just because every time I play the game I forget what I had to do there so I die as many times as in the entire rest of the game put together until I manage to remember what to do.

SCO said:

I love that game, it's truly amazing and all isometric dungeon crawls should be copying it. It's kind of completely hardcore and unfair, though, so I have never managed to get very far. Maybe some day I'll do a blind Let's Play so you can enjoy me being abused by the game until I cry many tears of frustration.

Fowyr said:
:salute: for finishing LP.

Kz3r0 said:
Great LP, I am always interested in old games even if I am too lazy sometimes to play them.

Cenobyte said:
Great job, Black Cat, as usual :salute: :salute: :salute:

lightbane said:
:love: Good lp!!

Thank you very much :3

anus_pounder said:
Also, I figured the plot twist would be something like Uncle Boris being the real bad guy. :\

That would have explained why his bald pervert of a servant was such a brute and a jerk to us, actually.

Mrowak said:

Yay, I made it to the great leagues. I'm so proud of myself.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Will you be continuing Enzai anytime in the near future? I remember you stopped before any butt sex. Or any type of sex for that matter.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
True to your name, eh, anus pounder? :roll:

BC said:
Maybe some day I'll do a blind Let's Play so you can enjoy me being abused by the game until I cry many tears of frustration.

YES! Yes please! That game is cool.

Black Cat

Magister
anus_pounder said:
Will you be continuing Enzai anytime in the near future? I remember you stopped before any butt sex. Or any type of sex for that matter.

Whether I restart Enzai or try to make a Let's Play of any other Visual Novel it will be as a side project with less regular updates than the normal ones, giving such text intensive updates really tire my hands and kind of make both my fingers, because of the nails, and the hurt parts of the hands, uh, kind of hurt, precisely. So it depends mostly on the interest, I guess.

If I were to do Enzai, however, I would have to restart it given the stupid imagehosts deleted most of the, uhm, sexy parts. We actually got to them, and I even made animated gifs of the, uhm, anus pounding, but the internet and it's soccer moms ate most of it and I no longer have the backups. Given we were just three updates in that wouldn't be so hard, however.

If you do know a good imagehost for that kind of, say, stuffies, do tell. Sooner or later it will become useful.

Crooked Bee said:
YES! Yes please! That game is cool.

I'll put it on the to-do list, then: "Delight Codexia by doing a Blind LP of another really hardcore and brutal game." :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom