Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Zodiac Legion - X-COM and dungeons

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
The color choices are very pleasing to the eye.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can make stretch goals for those! :)

Also, another way for environmental variety is to introduce some fixed night maps, with just a dark palette and maybe some fixed-static lights.

For night, the plan is to just add a layer of night blue, and have light sprites on the night blue layer (it works currently, but we have no light sources that would make sense outdoor. I have yet to come up with a good way to represent moonlight).

Day version of the outdoor test mission :

Xa2GbRn.png

Night version of the same place :

SOnAROf.png

The current plan is to have mostly graphic stuff as KS stretch goal, because they won't push development time into the stratosphere.
So they would be :
1) Sieges, and more environments
2) Mounted Combat and more animations
3) Large monsters

Mazisky

Magister
You can make stretch goals for those! :)

Also, another way for environmental variety is to introduce some fixed night maps, with just a dark palette and maybe some fixed-static lights.

For night, the plan is to just add a layer of night blue, and have light sprites on the night blue layer (it works currently, but we have no light sources that would make sense outdoor. I have yet to come up with a good way to represent moonlight).

Day version of the outdoor test mission :

Xa2GbRn.png

Night version of the same place :

SOnAROf.png

The current plan is to have mostly graphic stuff as KS stretch goal, because they won't push development time into the stratosphere.
So they would be :
1) Sieges, and more environments
2) Mounted Combat and more animations
3) Large monsters

That's perfect!!!! For moonlight question i suggest to just simulate reflections on water tiles (sort of white irregular lines).

Valery Kim can maybe add some one-tile space stuff like a campfire for static lights!

Keep on with the good work :)))

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
That's perfect!!!! For moonlight question i suggest to just simulate reflections on water tiles (sort of white irregular lines).

Valery Kim can maybe add some one-tile space stuff like a campfire for static lights!

Keep on with the good work :)))

Indeed, a campfire would definitely be needed, especially now that Ben drew some tents to burn.
I am still undecided about what to do regarding water animation. I would like to animate water in particles to get a flowing river, but it will be hard to do well.
For still water, some specular reflection effects will work indeed.

Concerning the development progress, the UI is now a bit more functional, with skill buttons and skills working as planned (currently, we only have healing, activating item/opening door and chests, and other flavour of hitting someone with a weapon).
I need to add conditions (like stun, focused, poisoned...), and passive abilities that do not just grant a stat boost (like regeneration), rework LoS calculations (they are pretty slow now, which might not be too good for the AI), and the basis of the combat system will all be there.
Then I will work on the AI and the mission themselves (to allow multiple victory conditions, triggers for traps and reinforcements, setup parameters...).

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
So, about the rule system. Things have changed a little since last time:
dice rolls will be made with 32 * 32 sided dice.
Each dice that rolls skill level or lower will be counted a success.
The reason for this is that it gives the following property: average = skill, so it is relatively easy to know the average difficulty you can beat.
It also is consistent for opposing roll among all the skill levels (ie if A has a skill of S, and B of S+2, A will win around 25% of the time regardless of S).
And it has the same range for all skill levels (ie everyone can score between 0 and 32), so your peasant can still score a critical hit against your dragon. It is just pretty unlikely to happen.
It has made things much easier to balance for me so far.

The usual skill/stat levels go from 1 to 10.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I first wanted to have 13 13 sided dice for the zodiac signs but it didn't work for a skill range of 1-10.
The 32 sided dice also work better for s board game:
We will provide 4 sided and 8 sided dice of 32 different colours for the boardgame adaptation so that you can roll them physically.
But 32 colors will be hard to do if we what to be color blind friendly.

zeitgeist

Magister
We will provide 4 sided and 8 sided dice of 32 different colours for the boardgame adaptation so that you can roll them physically.
If this is a thing that will exist, why not make the in-game characters look slightly more "physical" by putting them onto actual miniature bases, like the ones board game miniatures tend to be placed on? See Battle Brothers for an example that doesn't work that well because the characters have no legs to stand on. It could look a lot better than the hoops, you could perhaps even replicate the terrain under them on the upper side of the base, and incorporate the counter that's currently below the characters into the rim.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
If this is a thing that will exist, why not make the in-game characters look slightly more "physical" by putting them onto actual miniature bases, like the ones board game miniatures tend to be placed on? See Battle Brothers for an example that doesn't work that well because the characters have no legs to stand on. It could look a lot better than the hoops, you could perhaps even replicate the terrain under them on the upper side of the base, and incorporate the counter that's currently below the characters into the rim.
It is something that would only make sense if the game is popular (for some reason, dungeon crawlers are now much more popular on board games than on computer, so the competition is really fierce), so I don't think it is worth planning for an eventual board game adaptation at this stage.
If it gets turned into a board game later, many things will be revamped to fit the medium, but we are far from there now. I also think having game stands would ruin the immersion for the PC game, so I prefer having animated characters.

zeitgeist

Magister
If it gets turned into a board game later, many things will be revamped to fit the medium, but we are far from there now. I also think having game stands would ruin the immersion for the PC game, so I prefer having animated characters.
I have somehow forgotten about the animations on the first few pages, now I looked at them again and I see that the characters can in fact step out of their hexes while attacking, which obviously wouldn't go with that anyway.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I have somehow forgotten about the animations on the first few pages, now I looked at them again and I see that the characters can in fact step out of their hexes while attacking, which obviously wouldn't go with that anyway.
We will probably use miniature stands on the strategic map, though. Something like this:
MSGsCh5.png

ushas

Savant
FWIW, the C in Zodiac looks like an uncial T to me. (Image below.)

uncial.jpg

Yeah, I a kind of imagined it as T at first :oops:...

How would one read this?
image.png

Edit: Forgot to add, that this rat is joining the club digging your environmental art.

Last edited:

Mustawd

I have yet to come up with a good way to represent moonlight

What about general ambient light from fireflies and shit. Other than that, maybe try a halo of light around each character like Xenonauts?

xenonauts_combat_nightmission.jpg

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Thanks, it seems to convey darkness pretty well indeed.

FWIW, the C in Zodiac looks like an uncial T to me. (Image below.)

uncial.jpg

Yeah, I a kind of imagined it as T at first :oops:...

How would one read this?
image.png

Edit: Forgot to add, that this rat is joining the club digging your environmental art.
Thanks!
Odiace? Odiate ? Oniate? It is not very clear indeed...

Jinn

Arcane
This looks like it could be so amazing, Galdred! How has it been coming along? Any plans for Early Access on steam?

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Thank you for your support!
I am working on the AI right now.
Nothing fancy yet, only pathfinding and attacking a random character in range.
The skills and debilitating conditions are in, we just need to add content.
Some work is badly needed on the UI, as it it still kind of messy, but we are getting there.
We will probably kickstart mid January.
EA could work too, but at least, a KS would only be binding if it is successful, while a botched EA would also be binding.

Here are some title screen candidates:
GsgdzMJ.png
KEwIZmL.png

Mazisky

Magister
Wow, that dungeon looks really cool! nice atmosphere and assets!! Also, game seems a lot more polished than the first screens. WHy don't you post other screenshots about the game, maybe in other environments? :)

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
One of the current problems is that we only have two tilesets yet: green pastures and dungeon.
I would like to add cities + fortress, and add snow to the outdoor tile, but that will have to wait for more funding :)

Mazisky

Magister
One of the current problems is that we only have two tilesets yet: green pastures and dungeon.
I would like to add cities + fortress, and add snow to the outdoor tile, but that will have to wait for more funding :)

Seems reasonable, stretch goals for more environments seems to way to go ;)

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Wow, that dungeon looks really cool! nice atmosphere and assets!! Also, game seems a lot more polished than the first screens. WHy don't you post other screenshots about the game, maybe in other environments? :)
Actually, the lights have been photoshoped, but I will rework them in game so that they have the same look.
The underground river tileset is still a work in progress too, but it should make it into the levels soon.
Note that the engine shadows are better than in the photoshop (as we use transform of the characters instead of a simple blob shadow).
They just don't care much about lights.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I am really bad at updating stuff (and even more so at building a community...).
Most of the game system has been implemented (more or less crudely), and two levels are fully playable, but the AI is really dumb right now, and the lack of ranged attacks and special powers (some have been implemented to test the system, but that's about it), make the strategies pretty dull (ie try to hack your way through each chokepoint if you are the player, or try to camp each chokepoint for the AI).
So I am working on adding more variety to the combat, and making the AI less reliant on being told exactly what to do: I plan on mixing old AI techniques (search trees, weighted random actions) with new ones (machine learning) to build the AI, but it will take quite some time (and there are a lot of other micro issues to tackle).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom