Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Zodiac Legion - X-COM and dungeons

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I like the 5th best. Readable at glance, but not overly big and less weird/distracting than the different sized version in the 2st.
6th is ok too, but I think 5th is readable enough and more pleasing to the eyes because of less contrast.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'd actually go with the 6th as it's the most "clean". But the 5th is also good indeed and a bit more "thematic". The third is kinda cool too but I see no reason to hide any part of the icons with the numbers :)

The Red Knight

Erudite
Roman numerals don't really fit into the hotkeys territory IMO (and I'm used to them meaning skill levels or tiers). Small ones are too small and look too much like the background pattern (bad eyesight here; haven't even noticed them being in the first version at first glance). The last one seems the best (the "3" in the 5th one looks too "busy", surrounded by same-coloured shapes and being less readable than the other four numbers - but it's not really an issue if these don't change and all you have to do is to remember that pictures 1-5 are hotkeyed 1-5). The third one is fine too (a bit more cool, a tad less sleek).

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Given that the last one seems to be pretty popular and would require the least time to implement, I'll probably roll with it until I get someone to work on the UI elements again.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://www.mmobro.com/nine-upcoming-games-like-xcom/

Zodiac Legion

Repel invading enemies until you can take the fight to them. Use small parties of soldiers to infiltrate, scout, explore, and sabotage the enemy. Deploy covert op squads alongside primary military forces. Research magical powers and technologies to equip your parties with the strongest of weapons. Does this all sound familiar? Zodiac Legion feels the most conceptually similar to XCOM of the fantasy games. The only thing it’s really lacking is a cover system. However, the game makes up for that on the customization side with artifacts imbued with the power of the zodiac. I expect conquering these sites of power to act as a late game challenge necessary to felling the opposition. Legendary equipment is something I miss in base XCOM (though Grimy’s Loot Mod adds it to XCOM 2) so these artifacts an exciting prospect. Unfortunately, the developer has only tweeted out a handful of times since the last blog post in May. I wouldn’t expect this until 2019 at the earliest. It’d be better late than never though.

Release Date: 2019

Similarity: 80%

Price: Unknown. Currently unavailable for pre-order.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
http://www.mmobro.com/nine-upcoming-games-like-xcom/

Zodiac Legion

Repel invading enemies until you can take the fight to them. Use small parties of soldiers to infiltrate, scout, explore, and sabotage the enemy. Deploy covert op squads alongside primary military forces. Research magical powers and technologies to equip your parties with the strongest of weapons. Does this all sound familiar? Zodiac Legion feels the most conceptually similar to XCOM of the fantasy games. The only thing it’s really lacking is a cover system. However, the game makes up for that on the customization side with artifacts imbued with the power of the zodiac. I expect conquering these sites of power to act as a late game challenge necessary to felling the opposition. Legendary equipment is something I miss in base XCOM (though Grimy’s Loot Mod adds it to XCOM 2) so these artifacts an exciting prospect. Unfortunately, the developer has only tweeted out a handful of times since the last blog post in May. I wouldn’t expect this until 2019 at the earliest. It’d be better late than never though.

Release Date: 2019

Similarity: 80%

Price: Unknown. Currently unavailable for pre-order.

Wow, I didn't expect the game to be known outside of here (and the watch + the other 2 forums I have been posting on), as my PR efforts have been lacking, to say the least.
Thank you for the find!

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
You can always ask for our money... I'd give you some to avoid any kidney losses and increase the wife acceptance factor :P

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Wow, I didn't expect the game to be known outside of here (and the watch + the other 2 forums I have been posting on), as my PR efforts have been lacking, to say the least.
Thank you for the find!
I've seen both Snapshot games and developers of Forth Triumph re-tweeting link to that article.

Reinar

Scholar
A few days ago when walking home from work, I was thinking about my recent bounty hunts in Pillars of Eternity (I did 12 of them in a row). I thought it would be cool to play a game where you do just that: assemble a party from roster of heroes stationed at your keep, give them weapons fitting the bounty and send them off to a tactical battle. From time to time defend your keep. So, I said to myself, basically a mix of Xenonauts and Battle Brothers (2 games I played recently). A moment later I realized this game is exactly that.
In other words: move your ass!:bounce:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I showcased the game at the Indie Garden Assembly in Valenciennes, and it went pretty well. The UI was quite confusing, and a lot of players missed the door on the wall, but overall, the reactions were quite positive.
I got several:
"it looks like a Turn Based Baldur's Gate"
That said, the XCOM feel is pretty hard to convey, so some Geoscape Integration and leveling up is really needed.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
You have been in office for ten years now, Presidente. Keep up the good work!
Omg, I really hope the game is out before the 10 years mark (I am already past 5).

When it comes to opponent turn, how do you prefer camera handling?
Currently, there is none at all,so if one of your guy is hit/killed of sceen, you won't see anything.
I could scroll to each character before he moves, and/or before he takes any action. Should I also change the zoom level, or leave it at the current zoom level?
Which games do you think handle this the most gracefully?

Reinar

Scholar
Move camera to acting character, but stop the movement if player moves it on his own. Don't change any camera settings.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom