Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[ALL PHYSICAL COPIES SOLD OUT!] Realms of Quest V for the VIC-20 (digital version is available)

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Work continues on the dungeons. Here some of the images that I've been working on:

What are people's opinions of my sourcing images from the web and then cropping, making adjustments to a few pixels and then converting them to VIC-20 format? Some people think that as long as they're modified enough, they become your own creations while others consider this to be outright immoral.

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
What are people's opinions of my sourcing images from the web and then cropping, making adjustments to a few pixels and then converting them to VIC-20 format? Some people think that as long as they're modified enough, they become your own creations while others consider this to be outright immoral.

First, nice job and good luck on this project :)
Personally, i do not like modifying someone's else graphics and for this reason i scan regularly for CC0 or CC-BY licenses for my graphics, even if those graphics are sixty (60) years old like the Dracula (or even older). In your case, things are a lot easier since you just need portraits and small things in general, not whole scenes.
You can find lots of dracula photos in "Google images" and filter them by "Labeled for reuse with modificatation" (allowing commercial use as well) and then you are free to do whatever with them without problem.
Another source for CC0 (free) images is "https://pixabay.com". Another one is wiki's public domain imagery at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Public_domain_image_resources

Finally, you can find LOTS of medieval portraits on Wiki's public domain directory, which you can use freely since the author has long died (more than 100 years old dead, simply called PD-OLD-100 and also labeled as "public domain")
One example is the following link of Shakespeare

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Shakespeare.jpg

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
First, nice job and good luck on this project :)
Personally, i do not like modifying someone's else graphics and for this reason i scan regularly for CC0 or CC-BY licenses for my graphics, even if those graphics are sixty (60) years old like the Dracula (or even older). In your case, things are a lot easier since you just need portraits and small things in general, not whole scenes.
You can find lots of dracula photos in "Google images" and filter them by "Labeled for reuse with modificatation" (allowing commercial use as well) and then you are free to do whatever with them without problem.
Another source for CC0 (free) images is "https://pixabay.com". Another one is wiki's public domain imagery at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Public_domain_image_resources

Finally, you can find LOTS of medieval portraits on Wiki's public domain directory, which you can use freely since the author has long died (more than 100 years old dead, simply called PD-OLD-100 and also labeled as "public domain")
One example is the following link of Shakespeare

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Shakespeare.jpg

Thank you. Actually, the image of the hospital patient that I used was taken from a medieval painting from the 1300s or so. These types of images actually translate quite well to 44*88 multicolor pixel format on the VIC-20 because they are "cartoony" and have nice color contrasts. I try to avoid photos because I want to avoid dithering artifacts and the like.

I'll try to source public domain images a bit ore often henceforward.

Alchemist

Arcane
Oh jeez, please pay no heed to people like that Quinn Dunki. Best to ignore them. People like that thrive on stirring shit up about non-issues. I wouldn't even bother replying to them if it were me.

Anyway - really enjoying your thread and the progress on this, though I tend to lurk the Codex these days instead of posting much.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Admittedly, I'm mostly posting my updates on my Twitter page now. But I did make a compilation of my most recent images for the game:

file.php

Last edited:

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Some graphics I've been working on.

file.php
file.php

And I revised the player avatar graphics (male and female):

file.php

file.php

The 16 player races are:

Row 1: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Halfeling
Row 2: Dayanorian, Eldar, Gnoll, Gnome
Row 3: Goblin, Kobold, Lizard-Man, Ogre
Row 4: Orc, Sprite, Vurdu-Lak, Zzy-Zzyx

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Amazing Vic-20. I’ve loosely followed this since I heard mention of Realms of Quest from CRPGaddict. It’s similar how I follow the colecovision circuit and am amazed. Now if only someone would modify Gateway to apshsai and

1. kill the timer
2. Allow going up and down
3. Keep fog of war rooms cleared even if going up/down then returning
4. Add blast spell from c64
5. Add key (since it’s in the tileset)
6. Add the gate and and ending (perhaps in a random room on a random lvl 8 dungeon.

99 dungeons, 8 levels, tons of room a level... hmmmm. But I’m off topic. (As usual).

Awesome work here!

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Amazing Vic-20. I’ve loosely followed this since I heard mention of Realms of Quest from CRPGaddict. It’s similar how I follow the colecovision circuit and am amazed. Now if only someone would modify Gateway to apshsai and

1. kill the timer
2. Allow going up and down
3. Keep fog of war rooms cleared even if going up/down then returning
4. Add blast spell from c64
5. Add key (since it’s in the tileset)
6. Add the gate and and ending (perhaps in a random room on a random lvl 8 dungeon.

99 dungeons, 8 levels, tons of room a level... hmmmm. But I’m off topic. (As usual).

Awesome work here!

Well thank you! I mostly post updates on my Twitter feed now (@hitfan2000). I’ve been doing active work on this project for a year and a half now, but I’m beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

Here’s hoping that a hacker is able to provide you with the modded version of Gateway yon apshai.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I've got some great news! Darkatx, who has done physical artwork for Realms III & IV has agreed to do the same for Realms V. I am forever grateful for this contributions as they bring my creations to life. Here's a rough sketch that he provided for me.

file.php

Last edited:

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I recently achieved a major milestone where I've completed all of the work for game content for the cities (all 20 of them!). Here are some screenshots of what you'll see when you enter the city of Veritas and you meet Alania and Titus (they're the ones that will be featured on the game's box cover)--perhaps they will reveal the truth to you? To solve the mystery, you'll have to acquire and play the game, of course
icon_wink.gif

file.php
file.php

file.php
file.php

So content-wise, all I've left to do is some images of a the people that appear in the villages (it's fairly simple -- you encounter one person per village). Once these are done, all I've left to do is to refine the already-existing content in terms of text and re-do some graphics. That and programming the final features of the game along with the final counter and the full-screen introduction sequence. It feels very good to start to see a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel of this long process which at times felt that I would never get to see.

Here's a collage of the recent graphics work that I've been working on as well!

file.php

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
After struggling with conceiving how Lord Bane (the ruler of Rivaria) would look and be like, I decided that the main monarch would be the Grand Empress of Greater Rivaria, Lady Carmilla Bane instead. Here's a portrait of her's that appears in a cut scene sequence.

file.php

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
Here's another full screen image, this time of a major villain that appears in a cut scene in the game.

file.php

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I worked last night on the double height characters that will be displaying text during the game's introduction cut scene sequence. I figure that since displaying a full screen image on the VIC-20 requires the double height character mode to be turned on, I don't want to switch back and forth between double height and normal height characters when I want to display text during the intro.

I posted the following images on my Twitter (@hitfan2000)

file.php

file.php

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I can announce now with certainty that the principal development for content (graphics and text) is mostly done and now I can focus on refining said content. Yes, that means that I will probably re-do a lot of the monster graphics, but that shouldn't be too hard to do. I identified about 60 (out of 135) monster images that I could re-do or improve.

Tonight I did about 5 of them. Here are two examples--Cthulhu and Mephistopheles (I made the latter a female this time around, just because I felt like it).

file.php

file.php

I also really look forward to writing the manual where I include the characteristics of all the monsters like D&D does in their MONSTER MANUALS. For example, a Cthulhu can have 90-720 hit points, has an armor class of -24 (this is 1st edition old school), can do 20 melee attacks per round at 1-100 points of damage per attack. Immune to most magic attacks and can do PERMADEATH (affected player is permanently killed into the void and all the items are destroyed as well!)

Last edited:

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I found a publisher. The game will be presented in a cardboard box, printed manual and hopefully additional goods like a printed map and a "feelie" that resembles an artifact that you will find while you play.

https://doublesidedgames.com/realms-of-quest-v-for-the-commodore-vic-20-coming-2019/

Realms of Quest V for the Commodore VIC-20, coming in 2019!

Double Sided GamesCommodore VIC-20, CRPG, RPG

realms-of-quest-5-titlescreen.png

It’s with great pride that Double Sided Games will publish the fifth installment of the well-known Computer Roleplaying Game series, Realms of Quest! It’s principal author was influenced by games from the 1980s such as Ultima, Wizardry, Bard’s Tale, Phantasie and Telengard. In development ever since early 2017, Realms of Quest V is already in a well-advanced stage of production and an official release is planned for the second half of 2019.

realms5-banner-1024x341.jpg

To play Realms of Quest V you will need a 32k expanded Commodore VIC-20.

The game is rich in content and is of epic proportions! it features :
  • Over 350 multicolor graphical images that depict the monsters, characters and scenery portraits
  • 16 races, 16 classes, 2 genders and 3 alignments
  • A party can have up to 10 player characters, plus 10 summoned monsters.
  • An overland map that exceeds it’s predecessor by a factor of four!
  • 20 Cities and 20 villages
  • Persons that you can talk to and interact with
  • 20 mazes and dungeons to explore
To learn more about the game please follow the author on Twitter!

More news about this game and other annoucements coming soon

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I'm currently working on the introduction sequence that appears at the start of the game. Here's some screenshots of the text and full screen graphic portraits that appear (and which also acknowledges Double Sided Games). A bit idealistic, but the text regarding the people coming together (of various races, classes and even alignments) to defeat the True Enemy (the existential threat) addresses a crucial mechanic and plot point in the game.

I also quite like the aphorism quoted from Ezra Pound who is certainly a very controversial figure. He did disavow his views as he got older, however. But as they say "trust the art, not the artist." And my quoting an (in)famous poet or philosopher in the introduction sequence was inspired by the film, _Conan the Barbarian_ that reads “That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
I'm doing a graphics review. I thought I'd share the new version of the LICH that I just did. The first one represents the old one and the second represents the new and improved version.

I think that LICHES ARE AWESOME because they look great and they can drain levels ;)

And my publisher, Double Sided Games has found me a technical resource who will help me with file compression. The number of disk sides will definitely go down from 4 disk sides 3, perhaps even 2.

hitfan

Double Sided Games
Developer
My artist has been doing rough sketches of concepts of what is going to appear on the box cover for this release. One of these are going to be featured on a promotional poster at World Of Commodore 2018 (http://worldofcommodore.ca) where Realms of Quest V will be running on an actual VIC-20 set up at my publisher's booth, http://doublesidedgames.com.

file.php

Here's a before and after re-do of the Lurker as I continue my monster graphics review. The latter is more up close and clearer, but I could see how people might prefer the composition of the older one.

file.php

And here's a video that shows the introduction sequence that I've been working on: https://twitter.com/hitfan2000/status/1067809246652157952

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom