Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Wings Over Flanders Fields

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The sound is pretty accurate but it is too monotonous. Here you hear an example that WW1 aircrafted sounded much more interesting (at some point the pilot is throttling the engine off and on which gives a pretty unfamiliar sound, but supoposedly this is how the engines operated)

Hellshade

Literate
A little bit of an apples to oranges comparison, in my personal opinion. Outside views of the craft flying by is going to change the monotony of the engine sound due to the doppler effect of sound. Much as a fire truck siren sounds different driving towards you than it does going away from you. You can hear the change clearly as he switches directions in your video. (My apologies if you are already aware of that) My videos were overwhelmingly "in the cockpit" so you wouldn't get the doppler effect. A recorded video from inside the cockpit isn't going to have much change to the sound of the engine either, except of course for throttle changes.

To the point of throttling the engine on and off, WOFF UE does include a blip switch option as well. Entirely possible to "blip" the engine as that Camel pilot is doing in WOFF and get a similar effect.

Burning Bridges

Perhaps you should watch the plane from the ground and you would see (I mean hear) that the sound ain't no good fanboi.

Hellshade

Literate
On a positive note - I can't argue with you. The blipped engine of a Sopwith Camel does sound different than an unblipped engine of a Sopwith Pup.

Burning Bridges

I just browsed over the system requirements. So you don't need CFS3 any more? I still have the disk somewhere, but I am not sure I know where to find it.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
At least they offer a download now, in the beginning, you could only get on in CD, which was annoying for European customers.
The system requirements are pretty high for a 15 year old game :D

Hellshade

Literate
Ironically, they have folks waiting on a DVD version because they don't have the bandwidth to download it. Who knew that was possible in 2016? ;)

Yep, the system requirements are high but the screenshots and videos show the devs have put a lot of working into improving the visuals way beyond what were possible in 2002. That said, no matter what they do it can't match a shiny new DX12 title, to be sure. Most folks who get it are more interested in the deep single player campaign experience, but I do have to say that the cockpit damage modeling that debuted in WOFF 3 is awesome. It really makes combat feel more 'stressful' and immersive.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Rise of Flight was ok, but I really play these games for the single player and that wasn't too great. Red Baron (3D) is still fondly remembered, though I don't think I ever reached the end of the war (I always started at the earliest date of course).

Hellshade

Literate
I have Rise of Flight too and it has some very nice aspects to it. Unfortunately the single player experience isn't really one of them although Pat Wilsons 3rd party PWCG helps a lot. Single player is the pure focus of WOFF. There are community run DiD (Dead is Dead) campaigns that you might enjoy as well, where everyone reports in with their After Action Reports. They often include pics and a lot of role playing to flesh out their pilots.. I recommend introducing yourself to the SimHQ WOFF forum community and taking a look around. Costs nothing to talk to folks and ask questions. With the sim on sale for 25% off, now would be the best time to find out about it.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/forums/372/1/Wings:_Over_Flanders_Fields

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
There is a sale right now, if someone wants to get it, it's the best time, the latest 'ultimate edition' was released year ago, containing everything they made so far, last patch a month ago, there is also some free downloads on their main site for the 'ultimate edition' like more skins etc.

Burning Bridges

LOL. it's almost 8 years since I last played OFF but the terrain is still almost on par with DCS :lol:

The clouds are even still ahead.

Points where it shows its age are realistic lighting, the exterior models of planes, cockpits and sound.

But it's still one hell of a successful mod.

The Old Kiwi

Educated
I already have half of a bookshelf row of various air combat sims I always wanted to be able to fly. As a youth, I actually took lessons in Piper Cubs and Cessna 150s, and was told that I was a promising student -- but only the simplest of MS Flight Simulator practice is workable when I want to play in a virtual airspace!

No real talent with the comparatively different feel of the PC joystick compared the the real thing in those old light planes back then. I have Red Baron, a couple of versions. Reading this, today, I am tempted to get down one or another of the MSCS games I have on that shelf . .

Probably not the best idea I'll have, however.

Burning Bridges

The Old Kiwi OFF was nice when I first played it in ca 2006 but this shit is now simply getting too old.

I recommend you get DCS, there is a completely free version on Steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/223750/DCS_World/

And if you like it, get the 2.1 Alpha .. if you wait for a sale then terrain and 1-2 planes will cost you ca 50-100$ and maybe more, but it is glorious

The Old Kiwi

Educated
Thanks, Bridges! I'll look up the system requirements here after a bit, and maybe dust off an old joystick, who knows?

Burning Bridges

Of course I did not want to persuade you from trying OFF, I just think that nothing gets you as close to flying than that other sim, which has much more fidelity in a lot of areas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom