Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will PoE be shit?

Will PoE be shit?

• Total voters

SymbolicFrank

Magister
The intellectual property created might make a good MMO, but a lot has to happen to make it into a good Squad-based game, let alone an IE successor.

I blame JES: abstraction is great, but what you see on your screen should be understandable, and it has to be Fun!

Johannes

Arcane
No hard counters in an IE-like game is just retarded and nothing like what they promised. But maybe it'll get polished to passable levels.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
What I don't understand is that if RTWP is a deal breaker for so many people why are they following news and participating in discussions/threads about PoE at all? Why give a shit?

Athelas

Arcane
It must be because of the game's very original setting.

Schadenfreude is the obvious answer.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
lol @ anyone who voted "It could have been good, but J.E. Sawyer happened" as if there's anyone at Obsidian more competent or who would even give you what you want.

DA:O is an awful and thoughtless mix of grog and modern though.
This might be a new idea to you, but actually, here are more game companies than just Obsidian.

And even Obsidian could have made other choices.

That JE seems the best dev to you might not make him the best dev to everyone else.

Grimlorn

Arcane
What I don't understand is that if RTWP is a deal breaker for so many people why are they following news and participating in discussions/threads about PoE at all? Why give a shit?
Because hate is good for the soul.
:x

Lhynn

Arcane
I want to believe the game is going to be good, but they seem incapable to replicate even the simplest most basic systems and featuresfrom the old IE games, like spliting your team to enter houses, the whole stealth thing. The combat is shit, one of the worst things ive seen in an RPG, and this is a fucking combat centric game.
The setting is banal and boring, ive read some of it and id rather be reading a pamphlet about using water responsibly, it is on the level of kingdom of amalur bad. but not quite as shit as DA:O.
This and the fact that it simply doesnt feel like D&D, which is why im expecting from the game.

The characters i honestly have no idea, obsidian has always delivered on that front and im sure it will deliver again, and so will the writing in general.

Last edited:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
All this talk about how the writing will be awesome sand save the game. All I can is L0L. I mean this impressive writing includes going to kick an ogre's azz because he steals some fuckin' animuals. DEEP

This might be very wellthe worst written Obsidian game... Nah.. It won't be as bad as Alpha Shiticol.

Again, the whole thuingw ill be average. All the Obsidian devs will do awesoem things then Sawyer will shit all over their hard work bringing it down to his level.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
but they seem incapable to replicate even the simplest most basic systems and featuresfrom the old IE games, like spliting your team to enter houses,
Agree.

the whole stealth thing.
Stealth looks much more interesting than the basic shit the IE games had.

The combat is shit, one of the worst things ive seen in an RPG, and this is a fucking combat centric game.
LOL, exaggerating much? The combat has problems, but after some fine tuning, it will be decent.

The setting is banal and boring, ive read some of it and id rather be reading a pamphlet about using water responsibly, it is on the level of kingdom of amalur bad.
LOL, you still like to exaggerate, don't you? We barely know anything about the fine details of the world, and what we know is not better or worse than the Forgotten Realms setting.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Learn from the failures of others, naturally.

Also, it is entertaining to see Roguey dig an ever deepening hole for xir.

Gozma

Arcane
Probably less tedious/boring/degenerate than BG2 because of better low level mechanics, but with much less "content", probably of moderately higher quality maybe (a lot of F:NV was seriously bad, I dunno how their writing/level design duties are structured but their quality control of freelancers is awful)

Hopefully this is the "wow I guess RTw/P is fundamentally a disaster guise" game

Lhynn

Arcane
the whole stealth thing.
Stealth looks much more interesting than the basic shit the IE games had.
I dont see how its "more interesting", its stealth, pretty basic concept, a dude hides and moves around unseen. Now you have 6 motherfuckers stealthing their way into a dungeon because they cant make just one of them do it. you cant use it in the midst of combat because its an out of combat mechanic. I really cannot believe its this bad, tho i need confirmation on this.

The combat is shit, one of the worst things ive seen in an RPG, and this is a fucking combat centric game.
LOL, exaggerating much? The combat has problems, but after some fine tuning, it will be decent.
Not an exageration, it is the worst part of the game atm and the single strongest reason as to why a lot of people think this game is going to be shit. If anything i dont think i can stress how bad it truly is, words cant make it justice.

The setting is banal and boring, ive read some of it and id rather be reading a pamphlet about using water responsibly, it is on the level of kingdom of amalur bad.
LOL, you still like to exaggerate, don't you? We barely know anything about the fine details of the world, and what we know is not better or worse than the Forgotten Realms setting.

True, but what i have read is about as interesting as reading about a fake country in made up europe, but with generic fantasy tropes tacked on and absolutely NOTHING interesting ever happening or currently going on. I read fantasy shit because it draws me in, it makes me want to find out more about the setting and the world, but Mehoras just makes me want to give it a pass, far less interesting than forgotten realms (which may be extremely dumb at times, but it is at the very least entertaining to read or ocmment on)

I am not exagerating at all, mostly because i have yet to play it and i want to be fair to the game, these are just the honest impressions i got from watching and reading, and they seem to be confirmed often enough that i dont really think im wrong.

Athelas

Arcane
I dont see how its "more interesting", its stealth, pretty basic concept, a dude hides and moves around unseen. Now you have 6 motherfuckers stealthing their way into a dungeon because they cant make just one of them do it. you cant use it in the midst of combat because its an out of combat mechanic. I really cannot believe its this bad, tho i need confirmation on this.
You're complaining about not being able to become essentially invisible right in front of an alerted enemy? I thought you were a simulationist?

Anyway, PoE's system of positioning and perception radius is much more interesting than a dice roll every 6 seconds determining whether an enemy can see you.

Lhynn

Arcane
]You're complaining about not being able to become essentially invisible right in front of an alerted enemy? I thought you were a simulationist?
You could always break LoS, nwn did this well. Breaking line of sight didnt help in BG if you were being targeted tho, but i thought it was a bug (if i remember correctly).
I am a simulationist when it favors the game, but there are some things where a gamist aproach is simply better in the spirit of it.

Anyway, PoE's system of positioning and perception radius is much more interesting than a dice roll every 6 seconds determining whether an enemy can see you.
I agree, such a shame that it applies to the whole party. Making it basically a better system with less functionality, ill take a bad system with good execution over a good system with a shitty one any day of the week, because thats ultimately all that matters.

Athelas

Arcane
You could always break LoS, nwn did this well. Breaking line of sight didnt help in BG if you were being targeted tho, but i thought it was a bug (if i remember correctly).
I am a simulationist when it favors the game, but there are some things where a gamist aproach is simply better in the spirit of it.
Not sure what you're talking about. All I remember about stealth in the IE games is that standing in front of an enemy or on the opposite side of a room didn't make any difference for being detected, it all depended on the dice roll checking your hide in shadows/move silently skill every 6 seconds. I wouldn't call this a good stealth system.

I agree, such a shame that it applies to the whole party. Making it basically a better system with less functionality, ill take a bad system with good execution over a good system with a shitty one any day of the week, because thats ultimately all that matters.
Why? You can still scout ahead with one character, nobody forces you to move the entire party.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
Not sure what you're talking about. All I remember about stealth in the IE games is that standing in front of an enemy or on the opposite side of a room didn't make any difference for being detected, it all depended on the dice roll. I wouldn't call this a good stealth system.

I say PoE system is better, but it has less functionality, which is a shame. You have something better designed that cant do more than the old one could? talk about a waste.

Why? You can still scout ahead with one character, nobody forces you to move the entire party.
Yes but i cant lets say start a fight with my fighter, who lures away their heavy hitters as my rogue makes his way silently past them and rapes the mage without ever being seen. Those things are what make stealthing fun, scouting not so much.

Bonerbill

Augur

Because if the other parts of the game is good (Story, atmosphere, character building, graphics, etc), then I can deal with passible crappy combat. I got though BG2 and NWN after all.

People can complain about the combat all they want; it's not going to to be fixed. PoE's combat was doomed from the start since it was announced as RTwP.

Athelas

Arcane
If you consider BG2 to have 'crappy combat', I would advise you to stay far away from PoE (or any RTwP game for that matter).

Yes but i cant lets say start a fight with my fighter, who lures away their heavy hitters as my rogue makes his way silently past them and rapes the mage without ever being seen. Those things are what make stealthing fun, scouting not so much.
There are no backstab modifiers in this game.

I believe Sawyer said a while back they might consider giving the Rogue an Invisibility skill which could be used to stay hidden during combat.

Lhynn

Arcane
Oh fuck in the ass anyone that didnt like BGII combat, it was fun and well executed. and half the reason for this was because it was turn based under the hood, which gave the player a sense of structure and flow of the battle, allowed you to predict where it would go and react to it.

Bonerbill

Augur
Oh fuck in the ass anyone that didnt like BGII combat, it was fun and well executed. and half the reason for this was because it was turn based under the hood, which gave the player a sense of structure and flow of the battle, allowed you to predict where it would go and react to it.

It's a RTwP system based on one of the worst D&D editions. It's pretty bad. The spell system was pretty interesting, but that doesn't save it.

Lhynn

Arcane

It's a RTwP system based on one of the worst D&D editions. It's pretty bad. The spell system was pretty interesting, but that doesn't save it.
its not on 5th, 4th nor on 3rd, not even 3.5, so im at a loss of why you say iits the worst, other than to clearly leave in evidence how much of a shit taste youve got.

Sòren

Arcane
i knew this game was going to be rather mediocre after realizing that Sawyer was lead designer of the most unbearable of the New Vegas addons.

hes really not that competent... everything he's done is average at best.

Johannes

Arcane
I believe Sawyer said a while back they might consider giving the Rogue an Invisibility skill which could be used to stay hidden during combat.
There's no Invisibility spell / potion / whatever in the game currently? Talk about lame... What spells does the game have then, did they strip out everything else cool as well, with that gone and apparently also no proper immunity or spell defense spells either? Is there anything that feels properly decisive, outside direct damage dealing stuff?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom