Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Will PoE be shit?

Will PoE be shit?

• Total voters

Shannow

Waster of Time
So Pillars of Eternity (aka He-Man RPG, aka PoE) is taking an eternity to beta test rapidly advancing towards release.
As usual on the codex there is a lot of controversity over in the beta and Roguey threads. With usually the same subjects circle jerking discussing the same issues over and over. At the moment there are more haters critics of Sawyer's design decisions in general, their implementation and the current PoE build, than apologists defenders, though the defenders make up for it by posting thrice as much.
I also have the impression that at least some have become more radical in their positions. But that is beside the point.
Judging from previous Obsidian Entertainment discussions - especially when comparing their games to their more successful direct competitors, Bioware and Bethesda - I've always had the impression that OE was getting a way more lenient treatment than the other two by a majority here. (Obsidianfandex.net)

So now I'd like to check if it's only a vocal minority criticising OE at the moment or if it's incline of the codex there is really a majority of critics (in this special case).
I ask mostly out of interest and as reference for internal discussions.
BTW, the vote is public.
PS: I disagree with many of Sawyer's decisions and think that many opportunities have been missed (TB, D&D or at least a good alternative, etc) but I still expect the game to be decent, perhaps even good. Yeah, I'm positive like that.

Disclaimer: This question includes a three month period after release for patching and fine-tuning.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
It'll be playable. Not the awesomesauce I wanted. It won't be even near as good as WL2. It might not even be as good as DOS or SRR, though.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

Duraframe300

Arcane
From a narrative standpoint (Including reactivity and all that stuff) it will be great.

From a gameplay standpoint it isn't. But, its going in the right direction and has a decent chance of getting at least ok/good in the end.

It won't be perfect.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
I'm not expecting anything from them (haven't pledged for the ks), so if its good, I'll get it and I'll play it. Not keeping my hopes up tho.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't think it will be "shit", but as presented thus far it seems pretty damn underwhelming. I can't find any real hooks that would draw me in; the setting doesn't appear very intriguing, the combat is... well, it just is, and the presentation overall is covered in a sort of miasma of blandness. I'm starting to wonder what made me throw as much money towards this as I did, what did I see back during the KS. The game has all the ingredients (except for TB combat) to make a good RPG, but I can't really point a finger to exactly why it doesn't seem to work with me (I could point towards the combat is... but it's not that alone, that's just one part of the problem). Maybe it's a sum a lot of little things that alone would be insignificant to the point of not being noticeable but have now piled up, or maybe I just expected something else, I dunno.

A lot will be fixed towards the release, no doubt, and in the end it'll probably wind up being a nice game overall, but as of now... it isn't delivering (and I am taking into account that this is the beta stage).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Not shit, but it will require an overhaul to ~feels~ anything like an IE game.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It'll be like Dragon Age Origins if it had better writing. A decent setting with a decent plot and good writing, but horrid systems.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I still have hopes. But not that much anymore, but well. I guess it will be enjoyable for what it is or something.

Won't be an IE successor tho.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Doomed to shit when it decided to pick RtWP instead of TB anyway, nothing to do with any recent events.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
lol @ anyone who voted "It could have been good, but J.E. Sawyer happened" as if there's anyone at Obsidian more competent or who would even give you what you want.

It'll be like Dragon Age Origins if it had better writing. A decent setting with a decent plot and good writing, but horrid systems.
DA:O is an awful and thoughtless mix of grog and modern though.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I voted for " It could have been good, but J.E. Sawyer happened." but my real opinion is that the combat will probably be meh to ok-ish but Avellone will save the game from being mediocre. If the game will be just good or great depends entirely on the effort of the writing team.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I voted for " It could have been good, but J.E. Sawyer happened." but my real opinion is that the combat will probably be meh to ok-ish but Avellone will save the game from being mediocre. If the game will be just good or great depends entirely on the effort of the writing team.

Avellone isn't the lead writer.

Athelas

Arcane

Avellone isn't the lead writer.

Then I guess it will be shit.
Obsidian has plenty of other talented writers. Heck, Avellone arguably hasn't lead designed a 'full' game since Kotor 2, so it's not as if he's even responsible for the majority of their writing accomplishments.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
where's the obvious "good for what it is" option?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom