Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wild West war games?

Zeus

Cipher
Can anyone recommend, or even think of, a strategy war game set in the Wild West?

I'm thinking something like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but with Cowboys instead of Cao Caos.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Can anyone recommend, or even think of, a strategy war game set in the Wild West?

I'm thinking something like Romance of the Three Kingdoms, but with Cowboys instead of Cao Caos.
Hmmm... There was that western commando's spin-off. Desperados: Wanted dead or alive or something like that. Not sure if it was a wargame or just a strategy puzzler.

I think the closest you're gonna get is american civil war games. Sid Meier's Gettysburg or Scourge of War perhaps?

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Age of Riffles? It has Kwan-Mexican war, Civil war in the west, and Kwan-Spanish war.... Speaking of which they should make kickstarter of it.... from 1713 to 1870 or so... Russian-Japanese war scenararios just didn't have the feel of earlier war... Machine guns and barbed wire need another engine INMHO.

Morkar Left

Can't say anything about the game, I only knew there was a Wild West rts once released in the 90's because I remembered a screenshot:

America

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Don't remember the name but there was a Wild West game in the same vein as Cohort II and Rorke's drift in which you managed an outpost and had to defeat bandits and an indian uprising. Probably from the same devs as the graphical style is the exact same.

There was also a game including several minigames in which you had to start a farm and had to deal with indians, bandits and competing farmers. Replayed it about a decade ago and while archaic it was still fun.

20 Eyes

Liturgist
Give me a couple of years, I'll see what I can do.

y3vEI.png

Morkar Left

I made a Wild West Choose Your Own Adventure book as a kid...

spectre

Arcane
Hmmm... There was that western commando's spin-off. Desperados: Wanted dead or alive or something like that. Not sure if it was a wargame or just a strategy puzzler.
You could call it a tactical game with strong puzzler elements. It's not as anal as Commandos about keeping a low profile at all times.

Tough call though.
There are mods for Mount and Blade. To call it a strategy game is a stretch, but it's definitely possible to apply a strategic approach to an extent. "1866" is probably the best and most polished, but lacks a sense of directionm I think there are at least two, but their quality may vary (one is called old frontier or somesuch, never gotten around to playing it).

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Defintely try out Wars in America

There are some very interesting scenarios in it, like Pontiacs War, or French Indian War. Large parts of the map is wild, impassable terrain, and it's fun to find solutions, like transporting units with canoes over the Great Lakes. But you will lose a lot of men through attrition.

Secretninja

Cipher
Not really a war game but Far West was pretty fun. You had to fight cattle rustlers and such

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom