Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why would anyone play HoMM

Eyeball

Arcane
I love both HOMM and AoW. Suck it, dipshits.

rvm1975

Educated
466682.jpg

Some people play with the same toy long time. Later they do the same with videogame

whatevername

Arcane
I know this is a troll thread butt fuck you faggot

Maybe you're talking about HOMM 4,5,6? Then I agree and no butt fuck AIDS for you.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded

Maybe you're talking about HOMM 4,5,6? Then I agree and no butt fuck AIDS for you.
I'm talking about everything. There is no strategy in HoMM, they are repetitive, all you do is wander around fighting trash mobs and collecting resources and other crap.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
My first ignore. Congratulations, OP.

Last edited:

Vibalist

Arcane
Was there ever any point to splitting up ones armies in Heroes of Might and Magic? As far as I remember, the guy with the biggest stack won everytime.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Of course there was. For example archers so you get to shoot more times. Even if the damage was split you might want to shoot two different stacks. Or half a stack of archers could be enough to kill or almost kill an enemy stack and the other half could shoot at another one. And of course if you just want to shoot at the same stack just shoot with both of them. So actually there's isn't much reason to NOT split them, unless I don't know, you don't have enough space in your army.
Or the archangels so you can cast resurrection two times or resurrect each other.

Probably more like this, but that's as far as my amateur player knowledge goes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of course there was. For example archers so you get to shoot more times. Even if the damage was split you might want to shoot two different stacks. Or half a stack of archers could be enough to kill or almost kill an enemy stack and the other half could shoot at another one. And of course if you just want to shoot at the same stack just shoot with both of them. So actually there's isn't much reason to NOT split them, unless I don't know, you don't have enough space in your army.
Or the archangels so you can cast resurrection two times or resurrect each other.

Probably more like this, but that's as far as my amateur player knowledge goes.

I think he meant "armies" as in, having multiple heroes, not splitting unit stacks within an army.

I like the part of HomM where you explore the map and fight monsters guarding resources.
Towards the end of the level it gets dull for me, when its just you and the computer spamming hydras and dragons, its just a numbers game then.
Maybe I'm just not a strategy fan and HoMM has just enough roleplaying to get me to play it.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
If you enjoyed the role playing aspect, the walking around the map fighting monsters aspect, but hate the when it's just you and AI chasing each other, then Kings Bounty Legend or Crossworlds are perfect for you.

They dump the monotonous and uselsss strategic part of Heroes, but keep and focus on the tactical battles.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Was there ever any point to splitting up ones armies in Heroes of Might and Magic? As far as I remember, the guy with the biggest stack won everytime.
Mostly when at the start if the game or when fighting weaker enemies. For example, split ranged units in 2-3 stacks so that they don't overkill target. Also having two stacks of fast units was good to attack two different targets. Two stacks of angels in HoMM3 allowed you to resurrect twice (at half-power), which could if you lost a few units in two stacks.

Vibalist

Arcane
Sorry, should've been more clear. Like Infinitron pointed out, I meant dividing armies between different heroes.

I just seem to remember that, towards the end when fighting only the AI in HoMM3, it made absolutely no sense to have more than one army. If split in two, it became useless because you'd run into a concentrated force and lose due to inferior numbers. There was no clever way of using tactics in order to defeat a larger army, it was, like Slenkar said, merely a numbers game.

That's how I remember it being anyhow. Very one dimensional in that sense. I do, however, love both HoMM3 and 4 due to nostalgia, visuals and their amazing soundtracks.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Didn't like that one, potential was there, but similarly to the new King's Bounty it's way too repetitive and boring.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Regarding splitting your forces between multiple heroes, it can be useful to have a secondary hero used for defense when the main hero is attacking.
I don't make them equal, but I try to have the secondary hero visit experience stones, mercenary camps, star axis, etc, as well as fighting some weaker monster groups.
This technique is particularly useful when you have two castles from different factions.

Bulba

Learned
Also on larger maps you will have different castles with different creatures and you can't fit them all in one army

whatevername

Arcane

I'm talking about everything. There is no strategy in HoMM, they are repetitive, all you do is wander around fighting trash mobs and collecting resources and other crap.
There is like only 1 playable map in AOWSM and it's because the "AI" has lots of cities and troops at day 1. Every other map I tried is either barren/half-empty , made by storyfags or you can rape the "AI" with anything. By barren I mean there are no resources other than gold and mana, and mobs can't guard anything since there's almost no content.
The combat and strategy are superior to HoMM, but the AI fucking sucks... like 16 of my lvl 2 units can rape 8 lvl 6 orc warlords with 0 losses and it should be the other way around.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I like that the maps are barren. You don't need to constantly fight trash fights for resources and other trinkets.

HoMM are alright, but when there is AoW i don't get the urge to play them.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Score is based on time spent, so having more than just one army you can cover more ground and finish quicker.

If you enjoyed the role playing aspect, the walking around the map fighting monsters aspect, but hate the when it's just you and AI chasing each other, then Kings Bounty Legend or Crossworlds are perfect for you.

They dump the monotonous and uselsss strategic part of Heroes, but keep and focus on the tactical battles.

I liked kings bounty for DOS so these look good also

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom