Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why would anyone play HoMM

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
When there is Age of Wonders?

I've got HoMM2 - 4 installed, but haven't touched them since i started Age of Wonders 1. Strategically, and tactically, it's the superior game.

And the map is not a clusterfuk like that of the heroes series which were full of resources and pick ups and all kind of stupid crap. Not to mention the tons of trash mobs guarding said stupid crap.

hakuroshi

Augur
Because gameplay is sufficiently different to enjoy both? Sometimes you don't want complex and shit, but cheesy and zounds of black dragons. And, besides, why anyone would play AoW when there is Eador? :troll:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
possibly_retarded.png

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Less micro-management. "Harvesting" various sites once a week can be a chore, though.
Better AI.
Quicker combat. AoW has better combat, but the prepratory phase (due to distance to enemy units) got rather tiresome in AoW 1.

But I agree AoW in general is superior to HoMM, with AoW:SM being the best of the whole bunch, IMO.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I hate the resource pickings. It's just too goddamn randoms and can make or break games.
Not to mention some abilities are either worthless or random instant wins.

FeelTheRads

Arcane

That's fun.
Exaggeration with instant wins, though.

Heroes 3 is the most unbalanced in this way. Heroes 4 is the least. Did not play 5-6.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

That's fun.
Exaggeration with instant wins, though.

Heroes 3 is the most unbalanced in this way. Heroes 4 is the least. Did not play 5-6.

I've not played 4 or 6, but of the rest 5 definitely has the best skills and character development.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
I've not played 4 or 6, but of the rest 5 definitely has the best skills and character development.

I found it to be boring shit. Probably it's not a bad game technically, but damn it was boring. And Heroes 3D = no, thanks.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
I tried AoW, but didn't like it compared to HoMM, though can't remember why.

7/10

Learned
Age of Wonders is like a retarded child of Master of Magic and HoMM. It rips ideas from both, while having neither the depth and the scope of MoM nor the the simple, fun gameplay of the earlier HOMM games. In other words, it's an overrated, boring turd.

GreyViper

Prophet
Or oh I don't know maybe because Age of Wonders wasn't even released when people were playing HoMM and thus were playing the later iteration HoMM3. Hey what can I say it was the crazy 90s. But really stupid questions much?

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Age of Wonders is like a retarded child of Master of Magic and HoMM. It rips ideas from both, while having neither the depth and the scope of MoM nor the the simple, fun gameplay of the earlier HOMM games. In other words, it's an overrated, boring turd.
Actually it isn't as tedious as Master of Magic, nor simplistic and repetitive like HoMM. It's perfect in between.

Onyxme

Novice
Durr, why would anyone play Master of Orion when Civilization exists???!!1 :retarded:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom