Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why was BG2. . . subpar?

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Indeed. I wish some thinking head at Wizards actually understood they have a PNP playerbase of creative people that wants to build without restrictions, by the very nature of the product they sell, D&D. (...) Instead they burn money into pieces of shit like SCL.

I feel like Wizards is mistreating the game, and misusing its potential. Probably the times have changed and D&D will be nowhere near as popular as in the 80s. But it can still be a somewhat profitable business. Since it's plain stupid to sell dozens of books with more player options (it gets old very soon), they could expand to the digital world, and to D&D fans with a PC, much like the maneouver from White Wolf to let Paradox exploit their product line. Ultimately, remember that Wizards belongs as a brand to Hasbro, real money grabbers, and I think they are hoping for the next MTG, but both businesses are really apart. Maybe it's even time for Wizards to relinquish D&D as a product, and pass it to someone else.

Yeah, more or less the problem is that. D&D is a profitable and nice niche product, but for a megabillion company like WotC/Hasbro, it is an uncomfortable franchise that works by strange rules they don't know how to predict. Trying to make D&D reach millions and earn billions, is a lost cause that will only destroy the brand; then put it in the hands of people that will be satisfied with much smaller scale of business.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
IMO

bg1 > bg2

but thats me ^.^

i liked wandering around the wilderness more in bg1 :), never understood why people bitch about lack of content in forest/plains locations, it's not a fking urban area or even a populated area, whats supposed to be there besides mobs tree's and maybe a few diff encounters(most maps have at least 2-3 things to do, some with only 1 thing though :s )

half of bg2 is boring to me (ch3 onwards ): )

in bg1 the npcs kept their mouths shut and did as told

in bg2 i had aerie bitching about her wings and that faggot cleric whining about his asshole dad and how he can't be a paladin

both games got problems but i liked both ^.^

but neither are in my favorite rpg's ever xD

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
Uh, hadnt seen that post. Its kind of shitty and shows lack of understanding about what makes BG2 work. Nothing more than a list of things that in theory are bad, but nontheless work very well in the game without ever asking yourself why.

Nope, you lost it at "makes BG2 work", because BG2 doesn't work. It's pretty bad on its own, compared to BG1, it's shit. Plain and simple. It's an idiot's version of Baldur's Gate, made for autistic munchkins.

It's Bioware at it's most typical.

Lhynn

Arcane
Nope, you lost it at "makes BG2 work", because BG2 doesn't work. It's pretty bad on its own, compared to BG1, it's shit. Plain and simple. It's an idiot's version of Baldur's Gate, made for autistic munchkins.

:lol:
What the fuck am i reading?

Stokowski

Arcane
BG2 is a wonderful game, if only for the fact that one of the only super bastard insta-gib traps of getting-chunked-so-bad-they're-not-coming-back-from-that-ever-even-with-a-resurrection-spell is just around the corner from where the plot intends you to save Imoen.

Choice and consequence. Indeed. :obviously:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
BG2 is a wonderful game, if only for the fact that one of the only super bastard insta-gib traps of getting-chunked-so-bad-they're-not-coming-back-from-that-ever-even-with-a-resurrection-spell is just around the corner from where the plot intends you to save Imoen.

Spellhold was pretty good but that trap was just recycled from Durlag's Tower of BG1, the highlight of the series.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter

Durlag's Tower of BG1, the highlight of the series.

No.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
:lol:
What the fuck am i reading?

You're reading the left side of the panel, which contains general account information, instead of the right side of the panel, where the actual content which offends your poor taste in videogames is posted.

Retard. :greatjob:

Lhynn

Arcane
You're reading the left side of the panel, which contains general account information, instead of the right side of the panel, where the actual content which offends your poor taste in videogames is posted.

Retard. :greatjob:
No, im reading trash from an idiot thats uncapable of making a decent argument.
If a newfag like you cant be bothered to try hard, then you are worse than what we regularly get.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
Uh, hadnt seen that post. Its kind of shitty and shows lack of understanding about what makes BG2 work. Nothing more than a list of things that in theory are bad, but nontheless work very well in the game without ever asking yourself why.

why u so mad lol

i like bg1 more aswell but how is bg2 designed for "autistic munchkins" lol

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
BG1 is for autistic munchkins too. The computer doesn't even explode if you dare to reroll your stats. In fact, I think all CRPGs since Wizardry are for munchkins.

except the wizardry games are boring and terrible lol

bloodlover

Arcane
Random BG2 question: Assuming you make a custom party in MP and then rolling with it in SP, without recruiting any NPC that the game gives you (well except the main story ones ofc), can you still make the quests for the Troll Keep, Circus and any other place? Would you miss a lot of content?

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Random BG2 question: Assuming you make a custom party in MP and then rolling with it in SP, without recruiting any NPC that the game gives you (well except the main story ones ofc), can you still make the quests for the Troll Keep, Circus and any other place? Would you miss a lot of content?
I don't think you miss any content except the personal NPCs quests of course, since they are not in your party. I played the game in SP using only the three MP characters I made as a party and I don't remember missing on anything.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady

It's the same as soloing: you talk to Nalia, Cernd etc. and you say "I'll meet you there" and the quests and areas open up without needing to recruit anyone. You mostly just miss out on fluff like banters, interjections, romances and the companion quests, all of which are minor.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
You do miss some quests, but the only interesting one is the Jaheira's Harpers quest - that one actually offers some decent encounters and two notable items - the better of two wizardry rings that can be obtained in the game and one of the best amulets (tough this one is for Jaheira only).

Other quests from requiring NPCs are very insignificant and you can get all the major ones (Planar Sphere, D'Arnise, Druid Grove et al.) without recruiting anyone.

Just a word of advice: I definitely recommend going full party creation as imo it's a better way to enjoy the game than suffering through Bioware npcs, but do use difficulty increasing mods or at the very least move the difficulty slider to the far right (afair tweak pack offers the option for max hp rolls for all creatures - that's a decent way of increasing difficulty as well). Otherwise the game will become trivial way too quickly, especially if it's not your first playthrough.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I don't think you miss any content except the personal NPCs quests of course, since they are not in your party. I played the game in SP using only the three MP characters I made as a party and I don't remember missing on anything.

The only thing I ever regretting missing is the Ring of Wizardry form the Harper's. Don't think you get to kill them if Jaheria is not in your party.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Yeah, that's part of what I refered to as personal NPCs quests. It doesn't amount to much.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yeah, the two RoWs in BG2 are minor things.. unlike in BG1.

Bah, BG1 fanbois! They dont surprise me anymore~

Btw, I've criticized various aspects of BG1 in my sig link (and in the post you quoted), so in no way am I a "fanboi".

laclongquan

Arcane
bah, do not present fact to sway my biased judgement.

no way will I click on that trap

:troll:
Just kidding, read your blog way earlier. Dont want to reread it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom