Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline "Why RPG fans should play MOBAs"

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
The only people who would want to migrate to this are a specific subgroup of MMO players who are only interested in that genre for the competitive aspect and don't care for the content or the progression, but then again these people wouldn't play RPGs to begin with.
I agree with the rest of your post more or less, but you're wrong here. The genre actually started as a purely PvE thing, a sort of RTS version of dynasty warriors with upgrading during the battle. The risk/reward of going back to spend your money and get stronger vs maximizing time spent getting that money (and fighting back the enemy forces) has a lot of nuance and makes for an interesting challenge in and of itself. It's original incarnation was also somewhat akin to a roguelike in the sense that it had the whole RPG progression thing in a format that you could lose and have to start over entirely if you died or lost the base. I haven't played any of these games in the last couple years, but I used to, for the same reason I enjoy pretty much any game: it was a complex system that was interesting to try and master.

Also, the salt in this thread is overwhelming. Bitter about something guys? Did you lose the dick measuring contest?

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
I agree with the rest of your post more or less, but you're wrong here. The genre actually started as a purely PvE thing, a sort of RTS version of dynasty warriors with upgrading during the battle.
I'm no expert but AFAIK the genre started with Aeons of Strife, which was a multiplayer map and had pretty much all the trappings of the genre (roster of heroes, AI-controlled minions, xp for upgrades from killing said minions, 3 lanes...). In any event my argument was about MOBAs now, I was arguing against the article's thesis that people who like RPGs should migrate to current MOBAs; I wasn't making any statement about historical or early games of either genre (and neither was the article for that matter). That said the game you describe does sound interesting.

Also, the salt in this thread is overwhelming. Bitter about something guys? Did you lose the dick measuring contest?
It's a retarded article and people are making fun of it. You've been on the Codex for over a decade, this is pretty much what we always do.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I don't think this absolute garbage, stupidity, and inanity deserves any comment other than this, given that looking at it made my brain hurt and my heart despair as to the future of gaming:

John of Patmos said:
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Damned Registrations

That said the game you describe does sound interesting.
The original really was- it had 4 lanes, each of which had unique static enemies and scripted events (counter attacks at certain times or reaching certain areas and such) along with a constant stream of enemies that got stronger as the game progressed, and far outclassed the friendly cannonfodder. You had a number of heroes to choose from (was broodwar so 'xp' was just minerals to spend on normal upgrades) and could also purchase extra units to defend or attack or whatever, that could also be upgraded. You basically needed 4 players to even have a chance past the first 10 minutes or so. I never even got close to winning the map, finding 3 rando decent players was hard enough, nevermind legit expert players at that specific map- shit was hard. Getting killed meant you were out of the game, and while the enemy cannon fodder couldn't really hurt you after the early bit, the enemy generals were fairly scary, especially in large groups, and the enemy static defenses could be really dangerous as well. Healing required running to the back of the player base, which took quite a while, especially for slower hereos. OTOH, buildings and seige tanks tended to be worth a lot of resources so the best players would take them out ASAP to start snowballing.

Broodwar had a number of pretty cool maps in this style, like a D-day themed one as well, or the special forces vs alien horde one.

Anyways, eventually they made a pvp version of Aeon of Strife and it evolved from there. I still wish someone had made a standalone version of that original style though, it was like a far superior version of Left for Dead style games with a lot of tension and room for the best players to stand out from the scrubs.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Let's see how much the writer knows about RPGs...
One of my favorite RPG franchises is the Dragon Age series. Each playthrough will take you between 40 and 100 hours, depending on how many side quests you undertake. When playing through the mammoth open-world Dragon Age: Inquisition, I actually gave up on sidequests around 130 hours and powered through to the end of the game, but there was still plenty more to do. But I’ve never actually experienced most of what that game series has to offer in terms of mechanical challenges outside of my preferred class of dual-wielding rogue. I just don’t have the time to slog through the game as a warrior or mage.

Ho ho, he plays RPG so he can enjoy playing pretend as a ninja.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
FFS the entire point I play and enjoy RPGs in the first place is I'm too uncoordinated for all these first person shooter and RTS-lite fandangles.

Damned Registrations

I agree with the rest of your post more or less, but you're wrong here. The genre actually started as a purely PvE thing, a sort of RTS version of dynasty warriors with upgrading during the battle.
Where did you get that?
I used to play a shit to of custom maps for broodwar back in the day. The original Aeon of Strife was one of them. I'd be surprised if you could still find it though, I'd imagine most of those broodwar custom map archive sites have gone defunct, and even if they haven't they were pretty spotty with what they had available back then. RIP awesome maps. Not that there's anyone to play them any more anyways.

Delterius

Arcane
Where did you get that?
I used to play a shit to of custom maps for broodwar back in the day. The original Aeon of Strife was one of them. I'd be surprised if you could still find it though, I'd imagine most of those broodwar custom map archive sites have gone defunct, and even if they haven't they were pretty spotty with what they had available back then. RIP awesome maps. Not that there's anyone to play them any more anyways.
AoS didn't have PvP?

Norfleet

You WISH the Russians were retards. That's the problem. Russians aren't retards, they put thought into how they ruin everything. Russians are griefers, and they think wrecking shit is hilarious.

Absinthe

Arcane
Please don't negative rate me, I'm only here to post how retarded the article is instead of actually saying you should play ASSFAGGOTS.
Don't be a ratingswhore. You can fuck off to reddit if you're into that sort of thing. The codex ratings button parade is more of a joke (and way to discourage people from quoting shit just to say "I agree" "I approve" "Nah" and other vacuous shit like that by giving them convenient buttons to push instead). If you're telling me your sense of validation revolves around funny ratings then I'm telling you you're a bitch and a faggot.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
There's a strong chance I have at least one of the AoS versions you care for:
q5rO34w.png

The archive above (2+ GB) is from the gitlab link outlined in this post. It's also surprisingly not that difficult to find people (primarily on US East) that'd play EVOLVES, Cat n Mouse, LotR Hero Siege etc. if you wanted to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom