Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline "Why RPG fans should play MOBAs"

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
https://archive.fo/JwgDC

WHY RPG FANS SHOULD PLAY MOBAS

There doesn’t seem to be a lot of crossover from the story-oriented RPG fanbase and the strategic, action-oriented MOBA fanbase, but there should be. MOBA distills the entire RPG mechanical progression into an experience shorter than a sitcom episode.

The MOBA genre began as the Aeon of Strife and Defense of the Ancients mods for Starcraft and Warcraft 3, respectively. Rather than managing an entire base and army, you controlled a single powerful hero unit supported by computer-controlled minions while your opponents did the same. Your objective was to fight your way past your enemy’s defenses and destroy their core.

This genre grew into Riot Games’ League of Legends (LoL), a standalone version of Defense of the Ancients (DOTA), and its sequel managed by Valve. Despite the genre being based on two of its biggest properties, Blizzard took its time getting involved in the MOBA genre with Heroes of the Storm (HOTS). For the record, I’m primarily a HOTS player, so I’ll be largely writing from that point of view.

Progression and fun

Almost every single game these days has a progression system designed to take you on a journey from a peasant with a stick to a foe-crushing badass. When the system is well done, it helps create an immensely satisfying experience. In most single player games, this process can take anywhere from 25 to 100+ hours. Horizon Zero Dawn and Shadow of Mordor are some of the best experiences I’ve had with progression systems in recent memory. You start the game running from small mobs and spend end the game taking the biggest, scariest threats head on. This is the hero’s journey in game form.

MOBAs start similarly. Your hero starts at level one with a few basic abilities, but nothing too powerful. You have little ability to significantly impact the battlefield or AI minions. Your gear, if you have any, is important, but not very impressive. As you engage with AI minions and your human opponents, you level up and gain power. A fast round may end before you can reach your hero’s full power, but a well-played, even match will let you reach high ranks. By the end of the match, you will have a good understanding of how to outplay your foes and bring the hammer down on them. You’ll have better gear that’s helping you power your way to victory.

But the best part for me is that this journey is compressed into an experience about 20-30 minutes long. You don’t have to wait dozens of hours to smash through the opposing force. You get there in a matter of minutes.

Build experimentation doesn’t require weeks-long additional playthroughs. If you think you might enjoy the game much more as a tricky assassin type or a fire-wielding mage, you can experience those roles immediately, up and down the power spectrum. It’s easy to iterate on builds and approaches.

One of my favorite RPG franchises is the Dragon Age series. Each playthrough will take you between 40 and 100 hours, depending on how many side quests you undertake. When playing through the mammoth open-world Dragon Age: Inquisition, I actually gave up on sidequests around 130 hours and powered through to the end of the game, but there was still plenty more to do. But I’ve never actually experienced most of what that game series has to offer in terms of mechanical challenges outside of my preferred class of dual-wielding rogue. I just don’t have the time to slog through the game as a warrior or mage.
Whereas in HOTS, I’ve gotten to experience the full power arcs of ice wizard spellcasters, tank warriors, damage-dealing bruiser aliens, a stealth sniper, and a Russian dude who heals people by infecting them with an evil parasite. While it’s rare to fully understand a character in a single match, you can see how they perform and decide quickly whether this class is for you.

The beginning and the end are the best parts

The most enjoyable hours of an RPG are often the first dozen or so. You are rapidly adapting to the game’s mechanics, learning how to assess and confront challenges, and deciding on your character’s build. You level rapidly and earn many new skills and other goodies. Your ability to affect and control the game world expands exponentially. The second most exciting section is the endgame, wherein you’re accessing your apex abilities that define your character and what they can do. There’s often a longish mid-game slog wherein ability unlocks are incremental and much less exciting.

Every MOBA match takes those two excellent bookend moments and slams them up against each other, clearing away the detritus in-between. No need to wade through a hundred hours of grinding and middling talents - you get the thrill of rapid growth and the glee of ultimate power in a condensed, exciting package.

The HOTS progression system lets you choose between several talents at levels 1, 3, 7, 10, 13, 16, and 20. Each of these moments feels like a real event, the perks provided at these levels change your hero significantly. This isn’t just a minor increase in key stats like damage and hit points - it takes you down a developmental path that changes how your character does battle and supports their team. A warrior that maximizes the damage of their skillshot plays very differently than the same warrior spec-ed for AoE slow effects.

Where MOBAs and RPGs differ

I’ve presented MOBAs as power fantasy and wish fulfillment, but it doesn’t always go that way. Sometimes you get a bad ally, your team doesn’t gel, or you just have a bad day. Because opposing teams level independently, you may get out-leveled and spend the match trailing, always running from your opponents. Feeling outmaneuvered and outgunned is also part of the MOBA experience. On the plus side, if things go poorly, your next match might be completely different.

MOBA gameplay requires speed and reflexes in a way that many RPGs do not. Folks who are used to JRPG-style menu system combat may find the fast-paced click-based combat of MOBAs to be very stressful. However, folks with a background in RTS or FPS will feel right at home.

For folks who play RPGs for the solo experience, MOBAs are almost exclusively multiplayer. You can’t win by lone-wolfing it, and even the best players can’t carry an entire team on their backs. You need your teammates to perform well, and that can be tough to adapt to. We’d be remiss if we didn’t mention that the MOBA community has a hard-earned and well-deserved reputation for toxicity. That mute button will be your friend.

All that being said, the MOBA adventure is one worth taking, particularly for fans of isometric American RPGs. If you long for the feel of an old school hack and slash or you just want to take the hero’s journey over and over again while polishing your overall skillset, give MOBAs a shot.

Cael

Arcane
... What the hell is a MOBA? Sounds like a white whale with an attitude problem...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Lv0vDic.gif

mobas

Last edited:

Mark Richard

Arcane
Summary - MOBAs are RPGs broken down to their base components, therefore RPG fans should love MOBAs. Also if you love drinking water, why not consume the hydrogen and oxygen separately for a smoother taste.

Althorion

Learned
Sure, I’ll try MOBA. As soon as they will make one with single-player in mind and turn-based combat. :positive:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
But the best part for me is that this journey is compressed into an experience about 20-30 minutes long. You don’t have to wait dozens of hours to smash through the opposing force. You get there in a matter of minutes.
This single statement is the key to understanding the article and the popularity of MOBAs, and incidentally why RPG fans do NOT in fact want to play MOBAs.

CRPGs by their nature are long; the satisfaction in character progression comes from this progression being slow and steady and is directly linked to the sense of accomplishment for having invested time and effort, whether it's an XP or learn-by-doing or skill system or whatever. The other part of the satisfaction comes from using your newfound power to beat previously-insurmountable obstacles and explore new and unique content (whether it's an exploration, combat or story heavy game, the principle is exactly the same). And when I say "long" the game doesn't even need to be that long; 10 hours is perfectly fine to establish steady progression, different challenge levels and meaningful content, though you could argue this would make for a "short" CRPG comparatively.

MOBAs are the complete antithesis of this: there's no content to explore since it's a multi-player arena-based game at the end of the day, the progression is compressed as much as humanly possible and its point is to keep up with opposing players in a literal arms race, again a design that stems from the multiplayer aspect and that has nothing to do with the way progression in an RPG works. We all know the end result: instead of having a game where each play session progresses you a little further (whether the progress is becoming stronger, or mapping more of a dungeon, or advancing the story, or whatever), the MOBA is designed for short burst gameplay of 20min where the session is the beginning and end. The only people who would want to migrate to this are a specific subgroup of MMO players who are only interested in that genre for the competitive aspect and don't care for the content or the progression, but then again these people wouldn't play RPGs to begin with.

Leitz

Learned
Please don't negative rate me, I'm only here to post how retarded the article is instead of actually saying you should play ASSFAGGOTS.

Protip: You should've started the thread with "look at this shit guys:"

PorkBarrellGuy

by Justin Woo

Another name to add to the "shit for brains" list. Yes, I'm sure that the mechanical progression is the only reason we play RPGs, Justin. Fucking asstard.

EDIT: Also, calling ASSFAGGOTS fun so thoroughly devalues the word "fun" and drags it through the mud as to render it meaningless.

Lurker47

Savant
MOBA's are the number one genre of games where I can't see any of the appeal in. That or TPS shooters. I think videogames would be a lot better without the influence of those two- after all, we wouldn't have shit like Overwatch.

gestalt11

Arbiter
I find MOBAs really boring. I have no real aspersions to cast at the genre or those who play it, I just think they are boring and uninteresting.

PorkBarrellGuy

I honestly don't know what a MOBA is.
Massive Online Battle Arena. Imagine an RTS but with one super strong unit that levels up and gets special abilities it can use to try and kill other super strong units. It's all stupid clicks per minute shit and pointless online dickmeasuring between 13 year olds with daddy's credit card.

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
Massive Online Battle Arena. Imagine an RTS but with one super strong unit that levels up and gets special abilities it can use to try and kill other super strong units. It's all stupid clicks per minute shit and pointless online dickmeasuring between 13 year olds with daddy's credit card.
It's Multiplayer Online Battle Arena. The core gameplay is interesting but the majority of the playerbase for the games are too shit, if they were with smaller communities and made by good developers that care about more characters than the top 20 then it would be a good genre.
I prefer Ares of Strife Styled Fortress Assault Game Going On Two Sides, also known as ASSFAGGOTS.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Even if the MOBA genre did deliver a similar experience to RPGs, why would I play them when RPGs themselves exist?

It would be like picking a Pepsi from the fridege because it's similar to the Coke which you prefer, which is sitting on the shelf next to it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom