Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. You can now buy a 16 GB Codex Troll USB 3.0 for $30 USD (includes postage), simply [donate to the campaign] here! (Only 35 / 100 remaining)
  2. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why Einstein is so famous?

Discussion in 'SCIENCE!!' started by Chuck Norris, Feb 24, 2012.

?

Do you think Einstein deserves all the credit he gets?

1. Yes

38 vote(s)
    59.4%
  2. No

17 vote(s)
    26.6%
  3. No idea, but I like to vote anyway.

9 vote(s)
    14.1%
  1. Chuck Norris Learned

Chuck Norris
    Click here and disable ads!
    He's OK, but his dedication to the world of science and his fame don't match. Especially since his theories and stuff don't have a direct effect in our life significantly. I mean there are lots of other scientists who have done far more important researches and created far more important things, but are hardly known by the public. ( Like the guys who discovered DNA, Wilhelm Rontgen who discovered the X-Ray and many other. )
    The fact that he is so famous while his dedications don't live up to it gives me the idea that he wanted to be some sort of celebrity and was an attention whore. But maybe you people can clarify this. Maybe I don't know enough about the influence of his works.
    ^ Top  
  2. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    [​IMG]

^Because of this, and I'm serious.

He is memmorable, Einstein = Tongue Pic LOL and E=MC2, is just simple and unique. Just like Stephen Hawking is famous mostly because he speaks through computers, not because of his research. Same way some people like Nikola Tesla just because he has a cool name and created "lightning machines".
    ^ Top  
  3. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    Einstein's discovery was paradigm shifting. When you challenge Newton and win? That gives you some credit.
    ^ Top  
  4. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    Because these things, however revolutionary, simply involved finding another piece of the puzzle. We know X-rays are just photons of particular wavelengths - nothing amazingly special about that nowadays.

Relativity, by contrast, was Einstein's creation. DNA has been there all along - when you hear about it, the association with its finders is non-obvious. By contrast, before Einstein, there was no relativity. You can't look at E=mc^2 without realising it was penned down by him.

And that aside, as FSM, it's a paradigm shift. Anyone could've guessed that there are things inside cells. It was simply a matter of finding out what, and someday, someone was bound to do so. By contrast, there's nothing obvious about time being relative and the universe twisting upon itself in gravitational fields and various frames of reference. Any undergraduate student struggling to understand the formulas is bound to be awed by the fact that, almost a century ago, someone was able to figure all that stuff out from scratch.
    TalesfromtheCrypt Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  5. Lumpy Arcane

Lumpy
    So yes, he deserves all the credit. As for his popularity - certainly, there were other scientists in the 20th century that were equally brilliant. But, Einstein was the first of them to become prominent, in an age where the population actually started to care. Hence, he became associated to the concept of 'genius', and it just stuck.
    ^ Top  
  6. Captain Shrek Orbis non-sufficit Dumbfuck

Captain Shrek
    It is difficult to appreciate Einstein's contribution without being a Physicist.

Einstein changed the very foundations of Physics by redefining what time is. Before Einstein, the physical interpretation of time was a singular variable that is essentially not bound to systems but rather is outside the systems. Physicists knew relativity of course, but in the sense that two objects moving independently perceived different Momenta (velocities) but not times.

Beyond simply that he did a LOT other things:

1) He solved the fundamental problem of Maxwellian Electrodynamics. Maxwell's equations predicted a constant Speed of light. But no one before Einestein actually had managed to explain the reasons. Relativity (special) is crucial to the resolution of this problem because of which most scientists did not believe the recent Fiasco with the FTL particles.

2) He also contributed greatly to the developmental of statistical Physics (my favorite science) by introducing the foundations of Fluctuation-dissipation theorem. This is the theory on which Modern stat. phys. is built.

3) Finally, he solved the problem of Photoelectric effect. Tragically his only Nobel, for a lesser contribution than the above mentioned ones.
    ^ Top  
  7. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
  8. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    This. Getting closer to understanding the very fabric of reality is not discovery of some faggy rays.

Besides, GPS is quite useful, so is understanding what the fuck happens in nuclear reactions. Understanding many things about astrophysics is not too shabby either, although I think that we'll have to wait for many practical application.
    ^ Top  
  9. ~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T Arcane Patron

~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T
    Serpent in the Staglands
    Except Watson and Crick just stole Rosalind Franklin's research for the most part. So I would say Einstein is much more deserving than them.
    Grunker, Kz3r0 and Sceptic Brofist this.
    ^ Top  
  10. Wyrmlord Self-Ejected Patron

Wyrmlord
    It's difficult to understand physics without being a physicist, and it's not possible for physicists to explain complex physics concepts to non-physicists.
    ^ Top  
  11. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    More than that, other people were working on DNA research and were relatively close (Linus Pauling comes to mind). Everyone *knew* about DNA, the question was the particular form and composition. Watson and Crick were just the first to cross the finish line (stealing a lot of the research, as Wyrmlord said). Einstein came out of no where. His paper on Special Relativity had no footnotes, no references. No one else was even sniffing what he was doing.
    ^ Top  
  12. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    True that, nonetheless the mathematical aspects of relativity were worked out by Levi-Civita and E=MC2 was first discovered by Olinto De Pretto, even if, admittedly, where is no proof that Einstein knew of his work.
    Paradigm shifting, yes, completely out of the blue, no.

Edit:
    It can be said that the rejection of the Ether hypothesis made his work progress more than others.
    ^ Top  
  13. Random Arcane Patron

Random
    Of course, everyone thought he was on crack at first, until that one English scientist proved his theories by simply taking pictures of the stars during an eclipse. Or something. It's been a while since I watched that docudrama. It was pretty good, it had David Tennant as the English physicist.
    ^ Top  
  14. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    WWI fucked up his own experiment. He had to get the fuck out of South Russia.
    ^ Top  
  15. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    Only because he didn't give due credit, or, if you prefer he wasn't aware of other people's work:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Relativity_priority_dispute
    For everyone that wants to have a reference while researching on its own.
    Without addressing every aspect of the question it's safe to say that Einstein's Relativity wasn't born in a vacuum and where were numerous collaborations in creating the theory and prior works that deserve credit.
    ^ Top  
  16. Flying Spaghetti Monster Arcane

Flying Spaghetti Monster
    I was aware of the laser test that disproved the ether theory some years before, and there was another scientist that was on the edges of what he developed... and I'm also aware that he could have well cited other research in his paper. To put it in Kuhnian terms, anomalies were adding up to a critical mass and Einstein came in and presented what would become the new paradigm. Plus, he's a jew, so he probably stole the work from some hard working Protestant somewhere.
    ^ Top  
  17. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    The meaning of this post?
    ^ Top  
  18. Captain Shrek Orbis non-sufficit Dumbfuck

Captain Shrek
    Its hard to believe but dear Einie was an extraordinary man. You can steal data, ideas but not the kind of insight he had. I can explain to you exactly what that insight was (and anybody else who really understands relativity in mathematical terms) but I am interested enough to tell you.
    ^ Top  
  19. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    First, I don't think that was a serious comment, second the math was developed by Levi-Civita:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tullio_Levi-Civita
    ^ Top  
  20. Captain Shrek Orbis non-sufficit Dumbfuck

Captain Shrek
    Look lady, do you know waht Minkowsky four vectors are? Do you even know how Poincare contributed to the understanding of 4 vector manifold? Do you even know why was it necessary to apply this to Physics?

You don't.

"Math was developed by xxx"
    :lol:

Mathematics was developed for Linear algebra in the 1800's. Heisenberg applied it in 1920's for QM. Does that mean he does not get the credit? You are plain retarded anti-establishment hippe who does not understand how physics develops.
    skuphundaku Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  21. Kz3r0 Arcane

Kz3r0
    My suspect that your knowledge of mathematics and physics is fake has been confirmed.

PS:
    Levi-Civita mathematical contribution to relativity is something taught in every physics course at university level.
    ^ Top  
  22. Captain Shrek Orbis non-sufficit Dumbfuck

Captain Shrek
    Look Kaisero,

I don't care. He probably contributed significantly to mathematics. I am NOT a mathematician. Einstein probably used his formulations. It does not mean that Einstein is any less a genius. Einstein used Euclidean geometry too. He used Riemann integrals. Does not mean that Reimann developed theory of relativity. You are just a hack going against the popular idea. I was not taught Levi-Civita's formulations neither am I going to teach them to my students in CM. So fuck off.
    ^ Top  
  23. Oriental European Learned

Oriental European
    Fixed. Very good post overall, :brofist:.
    Kz3r0 Brofists this.
    ^ Top  
  24. Random Arcane Patron

Random
    Einstein must have made a deal with the devil to create special relativity so that he could become famous for discovering something. ITZ ALL A LIE, ITZ ALL A TARP! FEAR THE TRUTH ABOUT THE UNIVERSE!
    ^ Top  
  25. villain of the story Unwanted

Unwanted
    MCA
    LOL Captain Shrek's butthurt is very entertaining.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)