Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why dying is cool

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
One thing I've noticed about this game that I've always wondered why more CRPGs didn't do is that it draws from the rogue-like tradition of telling you a bit about yourself when you die. When you die in Teudogar, it tells you your skill levels, how full your stomach was when you died, reputation things, and so forth. It's a damned nice touch.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Hehe. Yeah, I did like that as well. You can also get this info from the 'esc' menu as well though. There's even an option to see all the technical info about the game, and there's alot of it...... ALOT. :shock:

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I died as one of those when I decided to eat some red mushrooms from the Priest's Glade. I started tripping out and the warriors came and attacked me. Damned priest and his goon squad.

Section8

Cipher
It's very spiffy. Kind of like retiring in Civilisation. It's nice to get a bit of feedback on who you are and what you've done. It's also nice to see how many fleeing robbers have copped a spear in the back from you as they flee.

Seven

Erudite
Alright, I'll bite. This post just convinced me to download the demo, and IF it's any good I'll buy the game. I've never heard of this much detail though. :D

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Seven9 said:
Alright, I'll bite. This post just convinced me to download the demo, and IF it's any good I'll buy the game. I've never heard of this much detail though. :D

It's a nice slice of heaven for an indie game. Especially if you enjoy waxing nostalgiac over the old Ultima games. And there's a history lesson to be had there as well. Nicely done.

Greenskin13

Erudite
Speaking of death and rogue-likes, how creative are the deaths in Teudogar. Of course, being a historical RPG limits the siliness of potential deaths, are they comparable to the deaths of ADOM and NetHack?

Can someone get rid of Mistress Zelda or whatever the fuck?

More games should have needlessly, insanely detailed list of everything you did, but not in anymore rogue-likes. I suck balls in those games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom