Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do Codexers like KOTOR 1?

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Basically there was nothing else to play, and it was a *good* Star Wars game after a lot of shitty ones, so it got popular? IDK.

I like both KOTOR 1 and 2, but neither one is an amazing total package game.

Theldaran

Liturgist
They're OK games and totally enjoyable. But apart from playing it in 2005, I've never managed to finish KOTOR 1 again.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
and it was a *good* Star Wars game after a lot of shitty ones, so it got popular? IDK.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (1996)
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (1997)
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (1998)
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (2001)
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002)
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (2003)
Star Wars Galaxies (2003)

And before that there was the entire XWing vs TIE Fighter series. There have been a lot of really good Star Wars games.

boot

Prophet
Bastila Shan gave me my first lewd dream

I tortured her on the Leviathan, tastefully

I woke up feeling villainous

That's why I like KotOR anyway.

Severian Silk

People say the Lego Star Wars games are good too, though they don't have original storylines.

It's the plot of the original trilogy nailed to a standard fantasy crpg framework. It'd have to be pretty bad for people to actively dislike it.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
and it was a *good* Star Wars game after a lot of shitty ones, so it got popular? IDK.
:nocountryforshitposters:

Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (1996)
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (1997)
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (1998)
Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader (2001)
Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (2002)
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (2003)
Star Wars Galaxies (2003)

And before that there was the entire XWing vs TIE Fighter series. There have been a lot of really good Star Wars games.

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
Star Wars: Ep 1: Jedi Power Battles (2000)
Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing (2001)
Star Wars: Obi-Wan (2002)
Star Wars: Flight of the Falcon (2003, GBA though)

Okay, I guess you're right, because most of these are shitty Ep 1 tie-in cash shills.

I've never played Galaxies, but the Knight and RS games are great, true.

Still, I remember when KOTOR 1 came out and it was the first Star Wars game I enjoyed in quite a while (in my mind anyway, I did play Jedi Outcast when it came out, which came out about 1,5 year earlier).

KidBoogie

Learned
I saw KOTOR for Ipad and decided to replay it.

Combat's fine. Was not interested in a challenge with this game and I like watching lightsaber fights so it works. Go play wasteland or whatever if you're an aspie min/max wanna-be tactical genius.

Dialogue with companions is lacking in this game though. Each companion seems to get maybe one new dialogue sequence per planet and that's not enough.

Also, the game tends to force you into reacting to insignificant situations that I'd rather ignore. Beggar asks for some credits and you get two options:

1) Give credits
2) Kill the beggar

Wish there was an option to just walk away from such time-wasty shit.

Bastilla's hot tho will bang

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
280975%20-%20Bastila_Shan%20Cathar%20Juhani%20Knights_of_the_Old_Republic%20Mission_Vao%20Ranged_Weapon%20Star_Wars%20Twi%27lek.jpg

It's because in Kotor you can get a harem.

I was a kid back in 2004, and KotOR was my first RPG. I loved the shit out it - the idea of a game where I was actually my character. I was too young and dumb to notice the cliché or the unsubtle hints to the reveal. KotOR was to kids and teenagers in the 2000s as to what the original trilogy was to that generation; it was a fun adventure and morality tale with some cool and likeable characters.

Now that I've grown up I can see what's wrong with it. But it's still probably one of the best kids games of all time, and I like revisiting it to tap into that sense of amazement when I first went through it.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Kotor 1 was maybe the completest of all Bioware games at the time. every one of your companion, not just a few, had a quest and you know at the end more about them. Maybe the developed even a little bit. The story was also better passed compared to Baldurs Gate 2, where you always forgot what you really should be doing (rescuing Imoen) and NWN 1, where they took the plot from. The quests were good and varied, some of them even great ( I remember that two murder cases with their different outcome) and it just felt like Star Wars. The presentation at the time also helped. I can't remember any western RPG 2003 that looked as good as Kotor 1 and told its story so movielike. To be fair, I think 2003 was a very lousy year for RPG's, besides Temple of elemental Evil.

Today, the parts still work and it continues to be a good game. The plot may be naive, but since its Star Wars, you can forgive it for that. I would also say, that without Kotor 1 naivety Kotor 2 couldn't hit as hard as it did. So yeah, Kotor 1 is still fine. Not challenging, but fine.

Freddie

Savant
KOTOR1 has a number of redeeming features. The pacing is good, the voice acting is, on the whole, good, the atmosphere is good, the story holds up well with a nice tension and the twist, it has some unarguably cool NPC's (notably HK-47), and it's more Star Warsy than some extremely megahuge members of the franchise. It may read like fanfic, but it reads like competent fanfic, unlike some things I can think of <cough>phantom menace<cough cough>.
This sums up what I recall from it as well. It was good game back in the day even for someone like me who felt whole Star Wars was just too ridiculous to be entertaining any more with couple of exceptions (Dark Forces I and II). KotOR was a nice surprise.

Then KotOR II came and I still not know what to think. It rips SW apart, but for me at least, it's also overall much better game, buggy, yeah, worth it, definitely. The thing is KotOR I is pretty much required to play before II to fully appreciate it, then I starts to feel really lame. They sort of form a complete experience of two parts that hate each others.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
I don't see why people say this is a good game. As far as I can tell it's a clunky third person action adventure with cool vehicle sections. I hate to go off-topic but I just want to know what people see in this game.

Deleted member 7219

Because it's the first good Star Wars game since the Jedi Knight series.

KOTOR 2 surpasses it in every way, though.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
I don't see why people say this is a good game. As far as I can tell it's a clunky third person action adventure with cool vehicle sections. I hate to go off-topic but I just want to know what people see in this game.
That was what passed for a good game on the 64.

Severian Silk

I don't think either KoTOR was very good. The small maps and shitty combat ruined everything.

Frozen

Arcane
It has Star Wars atmosphere and Bastila is waifu material.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom