Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why do Codexers like KOTOR 1?

Ninjerk

Arcane
KoToR is the best Star Wars game second only to Tie Fighter. The plot itself is better than the movies. I love the dark side factions in the SW universe and this is one game that delivers. The sequel only makes sense under the conditions of the evil ending to the first game which is what Obsidian seemed to be aiming for at least unofficially. As for the combat I liked it although the second game is where the series shines. The same for party characters who are mostly boring but there are some very memorable companions. KoToR has flaws but they're eclipsed by everything that made it good. The game needs to be massively updated but I heard the mac edition significantly improved the difficulty.

Not sure why Taris is unpopular its by far the biggest and most immersive world in the game. I wished all the subsequent planets were like that but was pretty disappointed except for Korriban. The Force Awakens was clearly inspired by KoToR from the melee stormtroopers to the main villain and other elements. Judge a game by its era though. It may not be as impressive today but back in the early 2000s it deserved all the acclaim it received. Its too bad that shitty MMO ruined what could have been a great franchise.
:what:

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
did people actually play jade empire lol? i only got like an hour into that game and it was way too gook for me, felt like i was playing anime and i hate gooks and anime

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
did people actually play jade empire lol? i only got like an hour into that game and it was way too gook for me, felt like i was playing anime and i hate gooks and anime

This is why nobody ever strays from the tropes and motifs associated with the fantasy and sci-fi genres. People have great enthusiasm for the idea of RPGs set in other speculative genres but then sales are stillborn on release.

Trotsky

Arcane
KoToR is the best Star Wars game second only to Tie Fighter. The plot itself is better than the movies. I love the dark side factions in the SW universe and this is one game that delivers. The sequel only makes sense under the conditions of the evil ending to the first game which is what Obsidian seemed to be aiming for at least unofficially. As for the combat I liked it although the second game is where the series shines. The same for party characters who are mostly boring but there are some very memorable companions. KoToR has flaws but they're eclipsed by everything that made it good. The game needs to be massively updated but I heard the mac edition significantly improved the difficulty.

Not sure why Taris is unpopular its by far the biggest and most immersive world in the game. I wished all the subsequent planets were like that but was pretty disappointed except for Korriban. The Force Awakens was clearly inspired by KoToR from the melee stormtroopers to the main villain and other elements. Judge a game by its era though. It may not be as impressive today but back in the early 2000s it deserved all the acclaim it received. Its too bad that shitty MMO ruined what could have been a great franchise.
:what:

You're so edgy bro.

Hegel

Arcane
Kotor I-II were great games, wish they made a party based isometric with turns Kotor 3.

Bradylama

Arcane
KOTOR 1 had a lame plot with a twist you could see coming a mile away, with the cheapest ending imaginable. It was eclipsed in every way by KOTOR II which is still the best Star Wars story ever told.

I played all of Jade Empire and I don't remember anything about it.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Up to this day Bastila from The Knight of the old Republik is one of my most memorable companions. Thanks to her I actually had my first "real" emotional moment in a pc game.

In my first playthrough I was (of course) being a good and shiny hero. So we bonded and everything was going fine until she was captured by this sucker Malak. And he started turturing her. That mofo! I was really sitting at my desk in anger and sweared to kill him for killing my beloved Bastila! Imagine my pure joy when I landed on some port and saw her in the distance! Alive and as beautyful as ever! Wohooo! So I ran to her and was totally and utterly shocked to discover that she had turned to the dark side! That is until today one of the most impressive moments a PC game created for me. Eventhough I was well aware that it was just a game and that I was just following a storyline on the cognitive level it got me deeply involved on an emotional level and for the rest of the game I desperately tried to "save" her.

In contrast on my second playthrough as The Lord of Evil I was happy to have a pretty chick beside me that I could rule the universe with.

I also still remember Mafia (the good 1st part) when I was walking home Sarah and in this dark alley we were approached by this bunch of thugs. I was not only beating them up, because the game mechanics wanted me to. I was beating them up to protect her.

So I guess what is working for me very strongly to get involved is to appeal to my protective instinct.

Deleted member 7219

KOTOR is a lot of fun if you don't expect anything challenging - both in terms of story and in terms of combat.

If it were a trashy sci-fi film it would be a good one, in terms of pacing and characters.

KOTOR2 exceeds it in every way.

I see some people have brought up Jade Empire. I hold that up as the best game BioWare have ever made. Some say it is a ripoff of KungFu movies - I would be interested to know which.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
Up to this day Bastila from The Knight of the old Republik is one of my most memorable companions. Thanks to her I actually had my first "real" emotional moment in a pc game.

In my first playthrough I was (of course) being a good and shiny hero. So we bonded and everything was going fine until she was captured by this sucker Malak. And he started turturing her. That mofo! I was really sitting at my desk in anger and sweared to kill him for killing my beloved Bastila! Imagine my pure joy when I landed on some port and saw her in the distance! Alive and as beautyful as ever! Wohooo! So I ran to her and was totally and utterly shocked to discover that she had turned to the dark side! That is until today one of the most impressive moments a PC game created for me. Eventhough I was well aware that it was just a game and that I was just following a storyline on the cognitive level it got me deeply involved on an emotional level and for the rest of the game I desperately tried to "save" her.

In contrast on my second playthrough as The Lord of Evil I was happy to have a pretty chick beside me that I could rule the universe with.

I also still remember Mafia (the good 1st part) when I was walking home Sarah and in this dark alley we were approached by this bunch of thugs. I was not only beating them up, because the game mechanics wanted me to. I was beating them up to protect her.

So I guess what is working for me very strongly to get involved is to appeal to my protective instinct.

i dont say this often

but holy fuck you're a faggot

Bradylama

Arcane
I see some people have brought up Jade Empire. I hold that up as the best game BioWare have ever made. Some say it is a ripoff of KungFu movies - I would be interested to know which.

The whole premise was to do a Kung Fu RPG, so that's not exactly a fair criticism. It's not a bad concept it just hasn't been done at all ever since then.

Deleted member 7219

The whole premise was to do a Kung Fu RPG, so that's not exactly a fair criticism. It's not a bad concept it just hasn't been done at all ever since then.

Good post bro. Glad you got unprosperised.

Adon

Arcane

I played all of Jade Empire and I don't remember anything about it.

I went through the whole thing last month and I barely remember anything.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Lucky your mom didn't walk in on you having an emotional moment with Bastila.

pippin

It was an entry level rpg made in a time where lots of people were discovering rpgs, and it had Star Wars on top of it.
I bought it recently as part of a bundle but I'm having kind of a hard time playing it for more than 2 hours. It's just too "Bioware" for me at this point, but I still want to finish it so I can play kotor2. It's a pet peeve of mine.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
KOTOR1 is boring as fuck and it's not even very relevant to KOTOR2. Unless you have an obsession with finishing earlier games before touching sequels, there's no reason to play KOTOR1.

laclongquan

Arcane
Nobody make a kungfu games because A people been watching kungfu movies since forever, and B China and Korea make kungfu games in their moonrune version also forever. It's a stale and staid market, you have no future in it.

and i hate gooks

Yeah man, gooks are the worst. Can I get an AMEN from the white folk!
Why so bitter, paco? Did some young gook chick turn down your offer to play RPG together?

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It's a fun star wars rpg, like dark forces was a fun fps or jedi Knight was a fun action adventure game.

Sometimes games don't need to be deep or complex to be good.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Critical lore failure. The Kodex Kritikal Konsensus is that KOTOR is shit.

I happen to like it but more for the story, specifically the characters and setting, rather than its RPG prowess. The Old Republic is the best part of the Star Wars universe, or it was until Mickey Mouse decided lolnope it doesn't exist anymore.

But even I'll admit the first part is completely banal shit boring, it only really starts when you get off the first planet. And Mission is probably the worst character.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
It was fun and light-hearted Star Wars adventure that in many way reminded people of original trilogy during the dark age of prequels.

Trotsky

Arcane
KOTOR1 is boring as fuck and it's not even very relevant to KOTOR2. Unless you have an obsession with finishing earlier games before touching sequels, there's no reason to play KOTOR1.

The sequel was naturally better than the original it simply expanded on what was already established like a good sequel should. Everything from the story, characters, universe, and even the gameplay engine. That was an era in gaming when sequels got better. However considering the dismal state of the game at launch and for several years afterward objectively KoToR II was not superior. Your attitude is very indicative of the pitfalls of starting something basically from scratch and how little credit that actually receives.

Critical lore failure. The Kodex Kritikal Konsensus is that KOTOR is shit.

I happen to like it but more for the story, specifically the characters and setting, rather than its RPG prowess. The Old Republic is the best part of the Star Wars universe, or it was until Mickey Mouse decided lolnope it doesn't exist anymore.

But even I'll admit the first part is completely banal shit boring, it only really starts when you get off the first planet. And Mission is probably the worst character.

The Kodex consensus is shit. Take Jade Empire which was an amazing journey into Chinese fantasy but apparently nobody remembered anything. The lush universe was easily the most memorable setting in a Bioware game. One of my favorite rpg companions was Ya Zhen the evil counterpart to the demon residing in the little girl. The "neutral ending" was in reality an alternative evil ending and by far the most interesting of the three. Jade Empire actually deserved a follow up but its probably better off with its legacy intact.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom