Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[deleted]

Delterius

Arcane
If I made a game or class based around Necromancy I wouldn't necessarily focus on masses of zombies or skeletons. Archetypical, sure, but those are nameless and kinda boring. Interesting enough for a war game but not an RPG, IMO. Better to focus on single undead at a time and the history behind them. A Wraith could be bound by the gruesome torture and murder of an innocent child. A Skeleton built from the hallowed bones of a dozen priests, martyrs who died inside a church during war. Ghouls could be expressions of recent deaths by famine. And so on.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Maybe in Diablo 2, but I'm not sure if I'd be happy with skeletons pulling everything in sight in a game like Dark Souls or Temple of the Elemental Evil.
You need at least minimal control over the AI like the mentioned aggressive/defensive mode. That could just be one button.

Yeah, a defensive/aggressive/passive button is a necessity, but even hack and slashers have those now. They even have an "attack this" button. ToEE is turn-based, so that's completely different. Dark Souls and its myriad of copies aren't really built around any kind of pet classes.

If I made a game or class based around Necromancy I wouldn't necessarily focus on masses of zombies or skeletons. Archetypical, sure, but those are nameless and kinda boring. Interesting enough for a war game but not an RPG, IMO. Better to focus on single undead at a time and the history behind them. A Wraith could be bound by the gruesome torture and murder of an innocent child. A Skeleton built from the hallowed bones of a dozen priests, martyrs who died inside a church during war. Ghouls could be expressions of recent deaths by famine. And so on.

That's what I'm trying to avoid. This is just a single-pet class, but with an undead as a minion. We have plenty of those.

Delterius

Arcane

That's what I'm trying to avoid. This is just a single-pet class, but with an undead as a minion. We have plenty of those.
Not necessarily a single pet class. An approach for quality still allows for multiple pets, just not the horde type of thing. See Paper Sorcerer.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Grim Dawn will get a Necromancer, probably in the expansion.

D3 also gets one, but we don't talk about that here.

deama

Prophet
In heroes of annihilated empires you can pick a necromancer (in skirmish, I'm not sure if you can find the spells in the main campaign) and summon skele's from corpses (and maybe some other undead based units); though they don't last forever.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Pet classes are typically trash tier because of ~balance~, and the ability either exists as a supplemental to a mage/fighter/thief on a game which doesn't care about such things as classes, or the necro is nerfed on survivability somehow or the 'pet' is single instance only

Speaking of that, Divinity 2 has a upgradable necro pet.

For massive amounts of skeletons i guess you could play a fantasy strategy, of which there are many... AoW series, Dragon Commander, Dominions etc.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Summons as a concept tend to be either overpowered or underpowered in RPG's since they tend to fill a similar role as something else, but they either do it with less risk and resource management or significantly more.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'd make permanent summons take up a party slot and be as powerful as a companion. Have unique summons/undead (maybe from quests?) you can fill up your party with if you want, some Necro themed spells for the PC and gg. Yeah, you give up on some/all of the companions, but that might simulate their lack of desire to travel with a necromancer. Have one companion who is willing to travel with you even if you fill all the other slots with undead.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom