Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are you guys so negative?!!!

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
http://eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts ... &start=120

Eurogamer has always been a "friend" of the Codex, bitching about the Codex about as much as we bitch about Oblivion, but this one is amusing:

Shoot me now... Take one perfectly good RPG, look at a thread of it on RPGCodex, after reading two posts get so sick of the game you'll never want to play it again. :mad:
That's sort of my point. The whiniest posters over there hammer you over the head about how those games are the yardstick by which all other games should be measured to such an extent that you wan't to dislike them out of pure principle.
I'm not so sure about that. Knee-jerk derision of everything new isn't really better than sycophantic admiration IMO.

There are of course voices of reason over at RPGCOdex. However they are often drowned out loud mouthed whiners who complain about everything that deviates from the impossibly strict rules they have regarding what constitutes a real RPG.

I remember reading a recent thread where a few, as i understand it, profilic posters instintivley dismissed the dialouge wheel system in Mass Effect, basically just because it wasn't a traditional dialouge tree. They really weren't the slightest bit interested in how it would work in practise.
Is it true, guys? IS IT? HMM?!!! Did you really do that?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I don’t get it. 99% of the posters here are FPS fans…but they like FPS’s with a couple stats and a little dialogue. I would bet my life that everyone that bitched about Oblivion bought Oblivion. And I would win because they all talked about how playing it sucked. The big game people here are looking forward to is an FPS (Bioshock). The only difference between this site and other sites is you can swear; and, of course, the people here whine about Oblivion before they buy it, instead of praising it and then buying it. People like and adore the same crap ass fake rpgs here as anywhere else for the most part. And I’m pretty sure you’re all gay. VD’s making a real game so I’ll exclude him, but the rest of you cocksuckers aren’t happy unless your madly clicking a mouse while in awe of the fancy graphics of the latest FPS “rpg” or have a ballsack slapping on your chin and your tongue rubbing circles around the head of a penis. Keep drinking your mocha cherry coffee coolata and playing your rad super fresh games, bicthes. In a couple of years when all your games are made only for the consoles real men will take back the PC and these sites will be gay free.

bryce777

Erudite
Roqua said:
I don’t get it. 99% of the posters here are FPS fans…but they like FPS’s with a couple stats and a little dialogue. I would bet my life that everyone that bitched about Oblivion bought Oblivion.

Shall you kill yourself or may I have the honor?

Seven

Erudite
bryce777 said:
Roqua said:
I don’t get it. 99% of the posters here are FPS fans…but they like FPS’s with a couple stats and a little dialogue. I would bet my life that everyone that bitched about Oblivion bought Oblivion.

Shall you kill yourself or may I have the honor?

I'll throw my hat in too; does that mean that he gets to die twice?

onerobot

Scholar
Roqua said:
I don’t get it. 99% of the posters here are FPS fans…but they like FPS’s with a couple stats and a little dialogue. I would bet my life that everyone that bitched about Oblivion bought Oblivion. And I would win because they all talked about how playing it sucked. The big game people here are looking forward to is an FPS (Bioshock). The only difference between this site and other sites is you can swear; and, of course, the people here whine about Oblivion before they buy it, instead of praising it and then buying it. People like and adore the same crap ass fake rpgs here as anywhere else for the most part. And I’m pretty sure you’re all gay. VD’s making a real game so I’ll exclude him, but the rest of you cocksuckers aren’t happy unless your madly clicking a mouse while in awe of the fancy graphics of the latest FPS “rpg” or have a ballsack slapping on your chin and your tongue rubbing circles around the head of a penis. Keep drinking your mocha cherry coffee coolata and playing your rad super fresh games, bicthes. In a couple of years when all your games are made only for the consoles real men will take back the PC and these sites will be gay free.

I'm kind of new here. What exactly is wrong with this person?

Vival

Augur
onerobot said:

Nothing at all! Roqua is the fucking soul of this site. He reminds everyone of what is true roleplaying while the rest of us self-loathing faggots are sucking the cocks of some gay ass, twitch game,realtime with pause, pseudo rpg developers.

Twinfalls

Erudite
Vival said:
Roqua is the fucking soul of this site.

I find your stereotyping of black people offensive to my chardonnay-swilling latte-lapping inner-city sensibilities. Next you'll say he's our Chef.

Anyway, Eurogamer are a bunch of pretensious pansies who play nintendo.

Gambler

Augur
Why do all people who like to play, watch and read crap want to believe they're doing the right thing, that crap is good for them, and that people who don't like crap are marginal negative elitist snobs?

onerobot

Scholar
Shoot me now... Take one perfectly good RPG, look at a thread of it on RPGCodex, after reading two posts get so sick of the game you'll never want to play it again. :mad:
I for one base my actions solely on the amount of discomfort it causes the people at eurogamer.

...dislike them out of pure principle.
...loud mouthed whiners

They got this part down except for the official terminology. We're all either Angry Cunts or Stupid Cunts, and it would be nice if they showed they cared and got it right.

I remember reading a recent thread where a few, as i understand it, profilic posters instintivley dismissed the dialouge wheel system in Mass Effect, basically just because it wasn't a traditional dialouge tree. They really weren't the slightest bit interested in how it would work in practise.

I didn't read that thread, but I'm sure we figured out how it worked and that's where the problem was. It seems to be a system with absolutely no benefit over dialogue trees thats sole surpose is to make it incredibly simple to dumb down the dialogue. When one side of every dialogue is represented by an icon it makes detailed conversation impossible, meaning that they can just reuse a few generic phrases over and over again as the concept of communication abstracted to such a ridiculous level. The phrases don't even have to make sense under the context since it would only mean that the player didn't imagine their side of the conversation correctly. Sounds wonderful.

Is it true, guys? IS IT? HMM?!!! Did you really do that?
Yeah, we all suck.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
onerobot said:
Roqua said:

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. He's just a representative of the dark (or should i say, kinky) side of Codex. For you see, RPGCodex isn't famous just because it's some sort of renegade site devoted to cRPGs. Just like a cigar is not just a cigar.

obediah

Erudite
Twinfalls said:
Vival said:
Roqua is the fucking soul of this site.

I find your stereotyping of black people offensive to my chardonnay-swilling latte-lapping inner-city sensibilities. Next you'll say he's our Chef.

Anyway, Eurogamer are a bunch of pretensious pansies who play nintendo.

chardonnay (that you can afford) is total ghetto swill.

I bet you even like the fake-butter malolactic fermented-all-to-hell shit. *barf*

P.S. Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA should be a controlled substance. I'm horrible lit at 18:46 on the sabbath off a 4-pack.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
onerobot said:
Roqua said:

I am the only one here that is straight. I guess in a hippy Dungeon Siege is an rpg and beer tastes yucky sort of way thats whats wrong with me. Keep sucking dick buddy, all that jizzum will make you really strong.

And being one of the few straight men left alive I have transended being a person, and I'm now a super man. I can get thruogh the day without using any hair products. I could even squish your fucking head in my ass crack. So I think you should edit your post to say "What exactly is wrong with this super man?"

Self-Ejected

dojoteef

Self-Ejected
obediah said:
P.S. Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA should be a controlled substance. I'm horrible lit at 18:46 on the sabbath off a 4-pack.
Yeah that is a great IPA. I've been wanting to try the 120 minute, but I can't find it anywhere.

obediah

Erudite
dojoteef said:
obediah said:
Yeah that is a great IPA. I've been wanting to try the 120 minute, but I can't find it anywhere.

I bought a bottle of it once - good, but certainly not something you'd drink more than one of at a time. It's been a few years, so I can't remember enough to actually describe the flavor - very characteristic though.

Blacklung

Arbiter
The geological, topographical, theological pancake
Roqua said:
onerobot said:
Roqua said:

I am the only one here that is straight. I guess in a hippy Dungeon Siege is an rpg and beer tastes yucky sort of way thats whats wrong with me. Keep sucking dick buddy, all that jizzum will make you really strong.

And being one of the few straight men left alive I have transended being a person, and I'm now a super man. I can get thruogh the day without using any hair products. I could even squish your fucking head in my ass crack. So I think you should edit your post to say "What exactly is wrong with this super man?"

You seem much more confrontational these days. Can I offer you a blunt? How about some Guinness? Or perhaps dinner and a movie is more your style sweetums.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Roqua said:
99% of the posters here are FPS fans…but they like FPS’s with a couple stats and a little dialogue.

I'm trying to remember the last FPS I bought. Heck, one of my big complaints about System Shock 2 was that it felt way too much like Half-Life, but I'm betting that SS2 was the last thing I bought which could be considered an "true" FPS. The only things after that which might be considered FPS-ish would be Morrowind and Bloodlines, but I never actually shot anything in either game. But hey, my big complaint about Bloodlines was the main plot stuff deteriorates pretty quickly in to an FPS style type map mission deal which revolves way too much on making everything on the map dead.

Then again, I still like Doom 2.

Dungeon Siege is an rpg

Well, it is. It's just a really, really, really, really shitty one that's barely even a game.

Still, you have to admit that Dungeon Siege did have some neat dungeons and a pretty snazzy engine. If they took the level design of Dungeon Siege and added in an ACTUAL character system(as opposed to ripping off Dungeon Master's), and gave it some decent combat which felt like you were actually doing something important during the brawl.. It would have been a pretty kick ass dungeon crawler. Unfortunately, the character system and the combat are pretty fucking critical to a good dungeon crawler. Level design is nothing without those.

If you're feeling suicidal clap your hands!
If you're feeling suicidal clap your hands!!
If you're feeling suicidal and your brain wants to be idle
Just come on over to the Codex and you'll jump!

/wrists

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
I hate when new people find a 6 month old thread which they then try to raise from the dead with some witty pun. It's nice that you used the search feature and all but really, there are newer threads.

Nedrah

Erudite
Yeah, but those don't have Saint and more importantly, mostly suck.
Not that this one wouldn't, though. I didn't even notice the dates until Saint's appearance got me interested.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom