Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Why are so many codexers in heat for MCA?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
It seems to me that so many codexers are in heat and are desperate for a solid pounding by MCA. Yes, he has done some decent writing and I enjoy Fallout: New Vegas quite a bit, but some of you act like he is some infallible god. It's disgusting and intellectually dishonest since your "god" is a bit shoddy on the quality of games at times (Alpha Protocol comes to mind). Perhaps I missed an important detail?

NOTE: I posted it here since MCA mostly works on RPGs.

racofer

Thread Incliner
jrz6df.jpg

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
DragoFireheart said:
It seems to me that so many codexers are in heat and are desperate for a solid pounding by MCA. Yes, he was done some decent writing and I enjoy Fallout: New Vegas quite a bit, but some of you act like he is some infallible god. It's disgusting and intellectually dishonest since your "god" is a bit shoddy on the quality of games at times (Alpha Protocol comes to mind). Perhaps I missed an important detail?

Dunno why that happens. Don't really care. The whole premise that the game devs should become some kind of cellebrities for some reason is appalling to me.

But to be fair - his name is also brought up to discussion by detractors of storytelling in games in order to invalidate the points of the other side. They seem to mean by that, if a guy who can write for shit said something stupid, we all must share his views for some reason, ergo - be wrong in our opinions.

DragoFireheart

Jaesun said:
DragoFireheart said:
Cock! Cock! Cock! Yummy Yummy Cock!!! I just can't get enough Cock!!! I love it in my ass, and mouth COCK!!!!

:thumbsup:

Oh look, Jaesun is venting. What's wrong Jaesun? Still in heat?

JaySn

Educated
He's the successful version of
Jeff Vogel
and rolled a character with high charisma, tagging barter.

And, and. If things worked out like the way he describes what he wants to accomplish, things might be pretty rad . . . But that doesn't seem to be the case.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
DragoFireheart said:
It seems to me that so many codexers are in heat and are desperate for a solid pounding by MCA. Yes, he has done some decent writing and I enjoy Fallout: New Vegas quite a bit, but some of you act like he is some infallible god. It's disgusting and intellectually dishonest since your "god" is a bit shoddy on the quality of games at times (Alpha Protocol comes to mind). Perhaps I missed an important detail?

Yes, you are missing the fact that Avellone has been bashed regularly as well.

Why do you keep doing this DragoFireHeart? Why do you keep inventing some Codex hivemind, and claiming that people in the Codex always say such and such?

We are one of the most diverse communities on the internet, with divergent views on everything, and even take it for granted most of the time. Yet you constantly keep reducing us to a group of monoliths with homogenuous opinions that are supposedly influenced by others.

Besides, Avellone - while a developer with a mixed record - still did 70% of the work on Torment, including item descriptions and voice casting. Back in 1999, he was an overworked maniac pushing himself to conduct diverse responsibilities normally handled by different people. He already had the core game done within weeks, and others were brought later to polish what he already made. These are not his claims, but those ofh is colleagues. I don't consider him god, but I do believe he is a highly unusual case in the gaming industry. Does anyone consider this a stupid opinion, by the way?

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
@dragofa ireheart
lurkmore bro
@Wyrmlord
What other unusual cases do you know of?

Angthoron

Arcane
DragoFireheart said:

'sup Liberal, don't they like MCA in Georgia anymore?

DragoFireheart

Wyrmlord said:
Yes, you are missing the fact that Avellone has been bashed regularly as well.

- I never denied he has been bashed, but usually this is done to counter-act the unhealthy praise.

Why do you keep doing this DragoFireHeart? Why do you keep inventing some Codex hivemind, and claiming that people in the Codex always say such and such?

- I never said nor implied the entire codex was like this. I am subtly referencing this topic:
http://rpgcodex.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=61842

We are one of the most diverse communities on the internet, with divergent views on everything, and even take it for granted most of the time. Yet you constantly keep reducing us to a group of monoliths with homogenuous opinions that are supposedly influenced by others.

- I did that once. I believe that topic was about how the codex treats newer gamers and in that case generalizing was wrong, hence I was wrong. All other times I did not identify the entire codex. I am merely posting my own anecdotal experiences.

Besides, Avellone - while a developer with a mixed record - still did 70% of the work on Torment, including item descriptions and voice casting. Back in 1999, he was an overworked maniac pushing himself to conduct diverse responsibilities normally handled by different people. He already had the core game done within weeks, and others were brought later to polish what he already made. These are not his claims, but those ofh is colleagues. I don't consider him god, but I do believe he is a highly unusual case in the gaming industry. Does anyone consider this a stupid opinion, by the way?

-No, I see nothing wrong with that opinion.

MetalCraze

Arcane
DragoFireheart said:
Yes, he has done some decent writing and I enjoy Fallout: New Vegas quite a bit, but some of you act like he is some infallible god.

This is a key to understanding the Codex.
Why even me, the guy who seriously hates Obsidian now (incl. for raping Fallout) knows that Avellone had nothing to do with NV?

But you fucking "RPG-fan" don't?

The attrocity that is NV is mostly the fault of Sawyer who has proven that he is a piece of shit of a game designer time and again since Black Isle.

Avellone was too busy butchering Mitsoda's writing in Alpha Protocol so it would appeal to imbeciles who find MGS to be a deep game. Guess that explains his popularity on the Codex.

DragoFireheart

MetalCraze said:
The attrocity that is NV is mostly the fault of Sawyer who has proven that he is a piece of shit of a game designer time and again since Black Isle.

I did not know this.

Edit: I thought MCA did some of the writing for vanilla FNV?

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yes, he's full of shit, what with quality gentlemen like Peter "Kinect is the new mouse" Molyneux or Cristoph "Imma let you finish" Hartmann around to incline the industry.

circ

Arcane
Christ. You know what I think of when I hear well written game? Stuff like Alpha Centauri or Homeworld, that had pretty sparse writing that in AC's case consisted of quotes mostly. But it was all delivered extremely well and the design was excellent so it all came together in a good game. By comparison AP is a pretty awful game in every detail. And fuck, people were saying shit like DS3 had good writing, especially dialogue. Are you fucking kidding me? Obviously people don't even know shit about game writing to begin with.

Avellone did well on Torment, telling a fun fantasy story with a lot of genre subversions, one that was well integrated with design (well, until UnderCurst). But other than that, he hasn't done much worthy of praise. Icewind Dale was simple and serviceable. Icewind Dale 2 was straight up retarded and an example of way too much pretension for a simple dungeon hack.

KOTOR2 was an entertaining enough yarn, but was poorly paced, and bogged down by awful gameplay. NWN2 didn't seem significantly better to me than a Bioware affair; characters were certainly less derpy than something like Dragon Age, but the overall plot in the game could herp with the derpiest of them. Plus, more awful gameplay.

Alpha Protocol...that's a tough one. I feel like there was no unifying presence in the team; the writing feels very different from mission to mission and the quality varies with these changes. There are some good characters, but equally many that are facepalm worthy. The plot leaves a lot to be desired as well, and the gameplay is a complete mess; very ambitious in many ways, but a total clusterfuck is the end result.

MCA sure can talk the talk and say all the right things...but he really hasn't delivered a superb game in twelve years. I suppose, however, he makes a pretty good idol given the people who populate the games industry. An average man looks like a titan among midgets.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom