Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Who likes hacking games?

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Anyone checked out Digital Hazard? It's fairly straight forward, similar to Uplink, but offers nifty features like modding and skinning.. And the trace system is fairly slick, showing a satellite view of the trace homing in on you.

Psilon

Erudite
Well, I just played through the demo, and it's pretty good. It also tends to require a bit more thought than Uplink does; the steps involved in getting "Neon's" phone number are straightforward but require some thought.

Uplink, by contrast, walks you through most of the missions. They're both pretty linear, but DH makes you feel like you're doing the brainwork.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
I didn't like Uplink's interface at all. I felt like I was fumbling around trying to get anything done, so Digital Hazard's shell console interface seems much better to me than Uplink's crude GUI. I think DH deserves huge props for that alone.

Psilon

Erudite
File transfers are a hell of a lot easier, even if my Unix tendencies make me continually type "get" and "put" rather than "dl" and "ul".

It's also nice that I can actually read the data files I find. Still, though, the file sizes are obscene for the amount of data you get. 58MB for a four-line MOTD file? What is this, Microsoft Office 2008?

Greenskin13

Erudite
The game is slightly glitchy for me. I find that text in the console starts to bleed down into open spaces, which makes the reading pretty hard. The map interface is much better than Uplinks, but the demo feels very rigid and linear. Perhaps the later levels will have more freedom.

Psilon

Erudite
Console bleeding can be stopped by clearing the screen, as I discovered.

More importantly, they need to make the "update" command far more visible. It took me forever to find the v2 password cracker, which you need to finish the demo. Fixing the typos would be nice as well.

Akilae

Novice
Damn, the game seems to have huge problem with azerty keyboards, no way to type the minus symbol, so i cant connect to atm.w-a-b.econet. Seemed a nice alternative to uplink in some ways, liked the command line interface.. too bad.

exosyphen

Novice
Hello,

My name is Robert and I am the developer of Digital Hazard.
I just want to mention that the homepage is http://www.exoSyphen.ro
The link above is broken.

I have went through the postings above and I am glad that you like my game.
I have taken some suggestions into consideration and they will be implemented in the game (around 35% of the features were added by request from gamers).

I would also like to announce you the recent release of our lates game, BS Hacker - Replay. Try out the demo ... it birngs many more features.

Regards,
Robert

jvn3t

Novice
Looks pretty slick, I played the hell out of the Uplink demo so I'll probably dig this too.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
Is it freelance like Uplink? Realbumpbert just can't get enough of them freelance games.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Realbumpbert said:
Is it freelance like Uplink? Realbumpbert just can't get enough of them freelance games.

You do get some freedom with Uplink, but not a whole lot of variety. I definitely recommend the game though. Especially if you go to the site mentioned above and get some of the mods there. Specifically Uplink: The Mod. It's almost a total conversion that has a different plotline to it. Also, get the FBI mod which adds our favorite agency to the game as well as lots of new missions and such. All around great game with some good mods for it out there.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
Oh, cool! I thought the Uplink Mods just added new gateways and stuff...I'll check these out.

Greenskin13

Erudite
I hear that with the Dev CD, people can start modding some serious enhancements into the game, besides skins and gateways.

exosyphen

Novice
Why do you have to pay for an extra CD to be able to mod a game you have already purchased?

/me smells profit hungry people here.

Psilon

Erudite
Yeah. New gateways, companies, LANs, and graphics are possible without the DevCD, but adding new mission types requires the CD.

Did anyone ever get around to fixing networked mode? I tried it once, but the coordinates didn't scale properly. Everything on the map seemed centered on Alaska.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom