Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Whitemithrandir's review of "The Void"

Phelot

Arcane
How do you kill the sisters? Does it have something to do with what colors you plant?

Great review BTW

In the Void section at the bottom left there's a purple colour that constantly runs out, how do you fill it?

Lesifoere

Liturgist
You pull color ("lympha") from the right-hand palette and feed it into free hearts in your avatar's body. Has to be the same color, of course, so if your heart has got 5/25 gold left, you'll have to fill it with 20 gold to make it full. The colors then drain from your hearts, filling up the left-hand palette, becoming "nerva" that you can then use to draw glyphs.

Here's a walkthrough/guide, it's got helpful tips: http://faqs.ign.com/objects/056/056417.html

phelot said:
How do you kill the sisters? Does it have something to do with what colors you plant?

Much later you'll receive a "vampire" glyph that lets you rip their hearts out.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I don't really agree with many of the arguments of the review, but I do support the conclusion(I.E great game).

Here are some general tips for those of you who think it is too hard:
1: Draw big glyphs, it makes it easier for the game to recognize them. For the Donor glyph make a small hole and long "threads".
2: Plan ahead. Especially early on, when it is essential to maximize the output of your gardens.
3: Always have 100 gold in your hearts when feeding a sister as it reduces color needed by about 50%.
4: Always have 100 Silver and 100 Purple when establishing gardens, the former reduces predators and prevents output reduction and the latter reduces investment.

Lesifoere said:
You pull color ("lympha") from the right-hand palette and feed it into free hearts in your avatar's body. Has to be the same color, of course, so if your heart has got 5/25 gold left, you'll have to fill it with 20 gold to make it full. The colors then drain from your hearts, filling up the left-hand palette, becoming "nerva" that you can then use to draw glyphs.
I meant the purple bar at the bottom left in the Void above the two circles divided into white sections. My hearts were full when I got the game over screen.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
That's what I meant. The purple bar measures the total colors in your body (as in, in the organs, not in the palette to the right or the left).

This is what a completely filled body looks like (full everything, full purple bar):

vazquez595654

Arbiter
Okay I've only played this game about an hour, and it's been pretty boring. Does it get better? The OP talking about the game looking stunning and graphical feats with the blooming tree sounds retarded. It's not impressive at all, really.

Any reason to play this game? I have little desire to continue after the first two levels. Does it get better?

Micmu

Magister
Yes, it does get better when brothers arrive.

I managed to endure it for at least 10 hours until the batshit insane color micromanagement drove me crazy and I deleted it with pure hate.
Nah, definitely not for me. All I wanted is an adventure game.

Pathologic >> The Void, really too bad the translations are fucked.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Been playing it for a couple of nights now. Hm, don't really know what to say about this one. The gameplay sure doesn't have many redeeming values. But but... I felt compelled to pay for the game.

Heresiarch

Prophet
micmu said:
Yes, it does get better when brothers arrive.

I managed to endure it for at least 10 hours until the batshit insane color micromanagement drove me crazy and I deleted it with pure hate.
Nah, definitely not for me. All I wanted is an adventure game.

Pathologic >> The Void, really too bad the translations are fucked.

Yeah, I'm having the same "going crazy" feeling, and I'm only at cycle 12. There REALLY is a great tension feeling (hence the origina gamel name "Tension"?) with the colour management and the time limit only makes things worse. I'm feeling some kind of stress even when I'm not playing the game. "Have I already fucked my game up with no turning back???" with no obvious warning is a really depressing feeling.

But hey, the game IS challenging, but I don't dare imagine replaying the game unless I use some cheats.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Haba said:
Been playing it for a couple of nights now. Hm, don't really know what to say about this one. The gameplay sure doesn't have many redeeming values. But but... I felt compelled to pay for the game.

Good boy. And yes, it's a deeply compelling game. Everything else I played in 2009 was less challenging and more, well, fun. But nothing kept me playing for hours at a time the way this one did.

Everyone else: it gets more interesting when you meet more Sisters and they tell you more of what the fuck is going on, though there're several different versions of "what." At the very least, you'll enjoy the decor of their chambers. Fantastic art.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
The gameplay is challenging but fun if you like that sort of thing. The lack of hand-holding is refreshing for once and you can never be comfortable since some sort of crisis might leave you without colour the next cycle. That plus you'll likely be trying to find out what the hell is going there.

It may not be to everyone's taste but The Void is one of those rare games that manage to merge the story and gameplay together.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Hmmm probably I should give it a proper try this time after reading some posts in this thread. Although paint micromanagement is arghhh

Hory

Erudite
That's just your subconscious generating inane "events" for you to post about. Surprised you didn't start a thread.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
I doubt you can totally avoid it, and you'll probably need to defeat the Brothers, but most of the time it is preferable to avoid combat.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Did not like! Pretentious and boring. Thanks for recommending boring shit.

Pipeweed

Arcane
I'm in the 20th cycle already and I need to choose a waifu... fast. I hate how the game pushes you towards that ugly mutant midget called ole.

9fYzfzs.png

1uYiGcs.png

Last edited:

Knut

Educated
the void is an excellent game. i'm surprised the codex connoisseurship didn't recognize it as such... :troll:

the game is hard as fuck (i got through it with an "easy mod"), has strong story and excellent visuals.

figuring out the gameplay and the difficulty of the gameplay ARE the actual story here, you piece it out yourself, along with vague exposition.
it does have some pretentiousness with poetry and symbolism but it matches with visual impression and great atmosphere, along with one of the best soundtracks in videogames IMO.
i think it is hard to appreciate this game fully if you cannot identify with it a little, or perhaps you just need to be a bit of an artfag.

considering it is unique on the market it is well worthwhile.
and btw, what is the stance here on thread necromancy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom