Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RTS Which RTS have a good single player campaign?

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
Empire at War.

laclongquan

Arcane
Warzone 2100. The single player campaign is persistent, meaning what you build and advanced are with you throughout campaign. Coupled that with a customized workshop the like of SMAC and you got a fantastical experience. The graphic might be slightly blocky, but that mean you wont be lag when you launch tens of missiles or mortars into the melee firefight of nearly one hundred tanks shooting at each other.

Perkel

Arcane
Ground Control 1 and 2. Though they are more from unit based type of RTS rather than building base.

Last edited:

vazha

Arcane
I remember Castle Strike (2003) having a rather neat solo campaign, with some rpg-lite elements - takes place in medieval Germany, with inquisition involved and all that.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I don't know if I should make a seprate thread about it by why do 4x games (and related) generally not have a proper campaign? Are there games like say ... stellaris but with good campaign? Is age of wonders one of them?

Deathsquid

Learned
I don't know if I should make a seprate thread about it by why do 4x games (and related) generally not have a proper campaign? Are there games like say ... stellaris but with good campaign? Is age of wonders one of them?
Endless Legend/Endless Space games have campaigns. They're not as set in stone as a normal campaign would be in an RTS, for example, but you get a bunch of campaign quests that lead you to the faction-specific victory condition. You can, of course, win through the generic 4X victory conditions as well.

Citizen

Imperium Galactica 2 and Deadlock 2 have story-driven campaigns.

Age of Wonders, HoMM and Disciples are not really 4Xs, but have nice campaigns, AoW:SM is the closest to 4X from them, with research, city building and stuff.

And why do you even need campaigns in 4Xs in the first place? They are for larping your own empire and to satisfy your mass-murder desires, not for fancy stories.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
And why do you even need campaigns in 4Xs in the first place? They are for larping your own empire and to satisfy your mass-murder desires, not for fancy stories.

I dunno man I know that is the case but I just can't find motivation to play without beginning and end sort of thing and a story. My mind has been corrupted by other genres.

Also tbh being hopeless lefty I would just make a communist empire and ally everyone while giving out free shit to random aliens. Yea... hard to reach win conditions that way :(

Also I appreciate the list man looks really cool. I knew about HOMM already. Although question... are homm 1,2 worth?

Imperium Galactica 2 looks cool but gog reviews say its a shit version not the original. ... and nvm further reviews said its since been fixed. People not updating reviews decline...

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
HoMM 2 is definitely worth it, some still hold it above the third instalment in the series.

Deathsquid

Learned

I dunno man I know that is the case but I just can't find motivation to play without beginning and end sort of thing and a story. My mind has been corrupted by other genres.

Also tbh being hopeless lefty I would just make a communist empire and ally everyone while giving out free shit to random aliens. Yea... hard to reach win conditions that way :(

Also I appreciate the list man looks really cool. I knew about HOMM already. Although question... are homm 1,2 worth?

Imperium Galactica 2 looks cool but gog reviews say its a shit version not the original. ... and nvm further reviews said its since been fixed. People not updating reviews decline...
HoMM 2 is worth it, yep. It's not really a 4X though. If you're lenient enough to consider it alongside 4X games, you can also look into Thea (you get one city, and do quests/explore the world to complete a global objective for your faction campaign), King's Bounty series (It's basically an extremely long HoMM-like singleplayer campaign each game), and maybe Eador, although it's not quite as story-driven or 4Xish. Still fun though. And the aforementioned Endless Space and Endless Legend games.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
If you're lenient enough to consider it alongside 4X games, you can also look into .

Yea I don't give a shit too much about it being 4x or not. In fact I usually stay away from 4x (except had fun with stellaris for a bit) specifically because I like campaign too much. Ty for list.

Edit: I am currently playing Majesty 1 HD and its fucking amazing. But I heard its one of a kind.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
HoMM 2 is definitely worth it, some still hold it above the third instalment in the series.

HoMM isn't RTS or even close to RTS so i don't know why you people suggest it.

Yea but what else would you call it that doesn't get hella confusing? Its like my arguments about dark souls being an rpg. Like yea its not your classic rts but for communication purposes its close enough.

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron
TBS turn based strategy, duh

Yea but like most people dont use TBS term and instead consider TBS to be under RTS for convenience. Kind of like MOBA doesn't make sense when you think about individual words but its historically been used to classify shit like dota. I,e I think RTS is short for strategy games for most people not Real-time strategy games. I know its decline but whatever honestly.

Deathsquid

Learned

Yea but like most people dont use TBS term and instead consider TBS to be under RTS for convenience. Kind of like MOBA doesn't make sense when you think about individual words but its historically been used to classify shit like dota. I,e I think RTS is short for strategy games for most people not Real-time strategy games. I know its decline but whatever honestly.
Nope, the turn/real-time distinction is clear enough for just about everyone to make that distinction really. It's tactics and strategy games that people habitually lump together.

Citizen

HoMM2 is amazing. It's not complex or deep, but the gameplay is simple and addictive, looks and sounds are beautiful and replay value is infinite. Succession wars campaign is amazing, price of loyality - pretty good. The best thing are insane custom maps, just play them.

HoMM3 is also one of my favourites, gameplay is even better, music is amazing, but the visuals are weaker and campaigns are not so engaging. There's also Heroes Chronicles - standalone campaigns for HoMM3 (6 games, IIRC), nothing special, but I only played the first two.

HoMM1 plays like a prototype for HoMM2, I enjoyed it (for World of Xeen looks mostly), but it misses some qol features from the second game.

But, mind you, they are not really 4X, more of a wargame/map exploration. There's no diplomacy, simplistic city management, economy is driven mostly by your armies looting the map, and so on. That doesn't make them bad, just different games.

Imperium Galactica 2 looks cool but gog reviews say its a shit version not the original

Yeah, get a full rip from here, or disk image from here.

HoMM isn't RTS or even close to RTS so i don't know why you people suggest it.

He asked about 4Xs, not RTS. Wrong thread, yes.

I think RTS i think basically strategy games as a whole

What? RT <-> real time, TB <-> turn based.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkiNNyBane

Liturgist
Patron

Yea I get it man. I am not arguing anything, just sayingI psychologically dont really care enough to make distinction, and I think many people don't either. Exactly same way I don't give a shit if rpg is turn based or not. I know full well the actual meaning of the term means Real Time tho. But in casual conversation I generall say RTS regardless of it being TBS or not.

Also I appreciate the response :)

vota DC

Augur

Why? Everybody says that RTS are dead, so it is obvious that TBS or Grand Strategy games aren't included.

index.php

Arcane

Yea I get it man. I am not arguing anything, just sayingI psychologically dont really care enough to make distinction, and I think many people don't either. Exactly same way I don't give a shit if rpg is turn based or not. I know full well the actual meaning of the term means Real Time tho. But in casual conversation I generall say RTS regardless of it being TBS or not.

Also I appreciate the response :)
vex98i.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
He asked about 4Xs, not RTS. Wrong thread, yes.

4X and RTS are not incompatibile. Best example of that is Seven Kingdoms 2: Frythan Wars which is fucking amazing imho and i spend good few months playing it non stop. Especially campaign which worked like total war one.
Keep those troops and train them, train and train and train !

I wish there was SK3 so much potential.

edit:

Speaking of which i installed Warzone2100 and Earth2150 for fuck sake i wish those have modern UIs. Especially Earth since it doesn't have open source version and what there is, is very clunky now. Still fucking amazing.

lophiaspis

Arbiter
In all honesty the best single player RTS campaign would have to be Brutal Legend.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom