Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG had the strongest effect on you as a person?

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Arcanum. It had a great style and atmosphere, made me fall in love with Victorian era aesthetics. I was something like 14 when I played it for the first time and I was hooked.

There are plenty of games that I liked more even in terms of atmosphere but that love for Victorian era had remained with me.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
Or wait, is it a joke thread?

BioWare games had taught me that I just have to be nice to girls and give them gifts so that eventually sleep with me. This had affected my personal life on many levels leaving lasting emptiness in my existence.

Zlaja

Arcane
Fallout 3. The game in question led to the creation of the greatest sig the world has ever witnessed. No matter what someone may think on the subject of the holocaust no one can fail to recognise the sheer genius that led to the signature's creation.

ilitarist

Learned
Illiterate Village Idiot
What? Is it some quote I don't understand or something? Or is it as boring as it looks to me?

Realms of Arkania HD.
On a serious note, Gothic was probably on of the first rpgs where I not only bothered to acquire the ways of thievery but also the one where I had the satisfaction of looting every single container. Also kicking Bullitt's ass. And being an asshole in general.

you referring to this one?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/237550/Realms_of_Arkania_Blade_of_Destiny/

Is it good?

I read that it is the first part on the description notes, does it mean that a sequel is in development?

Drowed

Arcane
Realms of Arkania HD.
On a serious note, Gothic was probably on of the first rpgs where I not only bothered to acquire the ways of thievery but also the one where I had the satisfaction of looting every single container. Also kicking Bullitt's ass. And being an asshole in general.

Is it good?

I read that it is the first part on the description notes, does it mean that a sequel is in development?

Star Trail is out. I don't think we'll get another one.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/288860/Realms_of_Arkania_Star_Trail/

Cael

Arcane
Realms of Arkania HD.

Is it good?

Remember to play through the entire trilogy right from the beginning. Carefully husband your characters and grow attached to them and how much they've grown up. Then come back here and tell us about your experience on completing the third one :D

Generic-Giant-Spider

Shadowrun for the Sega Genesis. It taught me trying to solve all my issues by attacking random drug dealers offering me frag grenades (and a patronizing math lesson) from a dark alleyway wasn't the way to go. Especially when those drug dealers turned out to be highly efficient Lone Star enforcers that turned me into street paste.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dragon Age 2.
It was after playing this game that I found out that enemies can materialize within ceilings or from thin air and then proceed to jump down on your party

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Arcanum and Morrowind. I played them when I was a young teenager and my English was still bad, and these games taught me the language better than our shitty school system did. Also, the games really left a huge impact on me and a huge part of what I would consider the perfect RPG is informed by Arcanum and Morrowind. Open exploration, no hand-holding, high character customization, tons of equipment, quests with multiple solutions etc.

These are the two games that shaped my image of what cRPGs should be like.

Realms_of_Arkania_Blade_of_Destiny/
and then Star trail?

Remember to play through the entire trilogy right from the beginning. Carefully husband your characters and grow attached to them and how much they've grown up. Then come back here and tell us about your experience on completing the third one :D

To which trilogy are you referring? ARe you referring to the names I wrote above?

Trashos

Arcane
Fallout's finale and Dak'kon's story in PST led me to a lot of soul searching and rethinking past events.

BG2, the first DnD game that I actually enjoyed, made me wonder what a modern adventurer group would look like, what a modern day warrior really is.

Self-Ejected

Sacred82

Self-Ejected
Dumbfuck
Ultima VII: Black Gate

I think it was the first thing I'd played that really deserved the name RPG. Of course, even as a kid and not really knowing much about games, it was obvious how shitty the combat was. But everything else just seemed completely wondrous. As people tended to do back then, the first thing was reading the manual. Even before loading up the game for the first time (which proved to be a real pain), my razor sharp kid reasoning deduced that Batlin was probably not the nice guy he presented himself as, and his ideas were kind of questionable in their logical conclusions.
So I was pleasantly surprised when even in the starting town it became clear the Fellowship was not the blessing Britannia deserved :smug: :negative:

But just the detail of worldbuilding, the interactivity of the world and the fleshed out NPC's totally blew me away. Up to that point I thought vidya games were nice little timewasters, but UVII really opened my eyes to the possibilities of the medium.

Drowed

Arcane
To which trilogy are you referring? ARe you referring to the names I wrote above?

Realms of Arkania is a Trilogy. We have: Realms of Arkania 1 - Blade of Destiny, Realms of Arkania 2 - Star Trail and Realms of Arkania 3 - Shadows over Riva. So far, we got 2 remakes. I don't think we'll get the third game, since the reception wasn't the best - and I bet that the sales were underwhelming.

You can get the classics here:
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/36470/

Or better yet, on GOG:
https://www.gog.com/game/realms_of_arkania_1_2 (1+2)
https://www.gog.com/game/realms_of_arkania_3 (3)

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks Drowed . Can I play the two remakes then the original third, or are they more than remaster and actually change content?

Drowed

Arcane
I don't really know Sergio, I didn't play the remakes/remasters. I remember reading somewhere that there are some changes and adjustments (both dialogues and gameplay), but nothing absurd. But don't quote me on that.

Ultima VI. I had recently upgraded from an MSX to a 386 DX with 4 MB of RAM and a VGA graphics card (a SoundBlaster 16 plus a 4x CD-ROM drive would follow a year later).

It was not my first PC RPG (that honour belongs to Megatraveller), but it was the one that amazed me with the realism of its world, the depth of the characters and the lively graphics. Plus the awesome music, when I got the SB16.

Cael

Arcane
thanks Drowed . Can I play the two remakes then the original third, or are they more than remaster and actually change content?
The biggest thing you have to worry about is compatibility. You can carryover/use the same characters over the whole trilogy. If you play the first two in remaster and the third as the old one, you might have problems porting your party from 2 to 3.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Diablo, don't know why but it crawled in me head and refused to leave.
Atmosphere and elf-free entertainment.

Yeah and soundtrack, bloody good graphics for time, nice restrained art design, and probably one o best examples o pure adnd-like dungeon crawling wi all fluff carved away. Minimalist masterpiece.

Yeah, Diablo 1 was pretty tight and I think it's way better than Diablo 2. Loved the sound effects, music, ambiance and the simple yet effective storytelling that amounted to going down further and further until you found yourself in the bowels of Hell. Loved the look of Tristram too, held that "this town looks quaint and comforting but there's some sinister shit" vibe on lock.

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
Ultima III. The game was awful, but it brought my dad and I in to RPG's and we've been bonding over them ever since. Ultima III is still the only Ultima that either of us ever finished.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom