Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Which part of the Gothic series is the best? (Poll)

The beste Gothic game is...

• Total voters

Murk

Arcane
The lever in xardas' tower

it's a button, on the fireplace near the bed

there's a decent 1h sword in the coastline near the paladins' ship where the lizards are roaming (pirate cutlass; 65 str i believe)

I love g2 so much.

apples give str when you eat like 10 of them, make sure to buy 'em all up

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
It's always interesting to hear opinions from people who aren't self-professed RPG experts and haven't played some of these games at launch. Although I admit to feeling frustrated after seeing him leave all that loot and stuff he could be picking up/skinning even though I shouldn't really be.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
I have to say Gothic 2. While for the most part Gothic 1 had the superior atmosphere, due to your circumstances, Gothic 2 was greatly well-rounded in pretty much every other aspect. And the soundtrack, my god the soundtrack. That moment when you return to the Valley of Mines and this song kicks in...

Skall

Learned
I wouldn't say that the atmosphere of Gothic blew me away as it had a fairly generic fantasy setting. It was still filled with neat little touches like people gathering around a campfire to eat and drink, but compared to Thief (which was mentioned earlier) and its perpetually dark and mysterious city where a religiously technological faction battled it out with a pagan cult while mystics watched on... it was a bit bland.

Still, Gothic did what so few CRPGs managed: create a believable world. The island's magic-ore was its main economy and its link to the outside world, and the king traded with the inmates for the precious resource. It wasn't the solitary commodity, though, with hunters and rice farmers producing food -- and the latter schnapps as well -- various fighter types taking on protection jobs, the New Camp trying to siphon away ore, blacksmiths creating weapons, the Swamp Camp producing swampweed "cigars", etc. Everyone either reprised their role from the outside world, or had a good reason not to. And when they did, they didn't do it for free; they traded their expertise to get a respected position in the harsh hierarchy of the settlements.

The whole setting just had an internal consistency to it, and those details made it that much easier to suspend one's disbelief. I honestly wish more CRPGs did their world building by presenting the inhabitants as people with needs and goals -- food, safety, leisure, etc. -- instead of just infodumps of a 10,000 year old history.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom