Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Which part of the Gothic series is the best? (Poll)

The beste Gothic game is...

• Total voters

sullynathan

Arcane
Maybe it's just you. I played Witcher 2 with both controller and kb+m, the game was made for the former and so was the UI.
I'm talking about Twitcher 3. Combat is p. different from 2.

And the UI is much, much better with KBM, one key press opens any screens, item tooltips on mouse over without needing to navigate one by one and wait for stupid delay for stats to show up at the bottom.
well nevermind.

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Gothic 3, as it's the only one I could play for any length of time without falling asleep. It's Oblivion with stats, characters, no(?) level scaling, and some semblance of plot. If that's your thing then fine but I've had more fun watching paint dry. Risen was better, and I that bored me sufficiently that I never completed it.

Edit: I thought Two Worlds 2, an obvious Gothic/Risen clone, was much, much worse.

hivemind

People who can't appreciate native Gothic controls are actually mentally ill imo.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Behead those who complain about Gothic's controls. Then, stick their head on a pike.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The only thing that is noticeably missing in Gothic 2 is someone to get even with from the beginning of the game, like Bullitt from the first.

Gothic 2 is much better without the expansion

In which way? I never played it without expansion, but isn't difficulty the only real difference in the main game? And I remember the game had a reputation of being far too easy when it originally appeared.

ScubaV

Prophet
A good related question is why hasn't anyone else made a game similar to the Gothics? Or, if they have, please point them out to me. Obviously they weren't blockbusters, but it seems like the sales would be good enough to keep a small to mid-size developer like Piranha Bytes afloat. Perhaps the cost of modern graphics for a 3rd person (A)RPG is too high?

Murk

Arcane
There's been varying degrees of "meh" clones, but one rather good game that was much earlier was Outcast. Scifi and aliens, and uses voxels so it's different on first glance but the overall experience has some similarities.

Other ones would be games like Pirates of the Caribbean, Venetica, and Two Worlds... of the top of my head.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Takes 5 minutes to get used to the controls. Damn mouse babbys.

I tried Gothic 2 for several hours. That camera is garbage. The way the main character moves is garbage. The melee-combat-with-no-canceling is garbage. The archery is garbage. The keyboard-only inventory is garbage. The non-keyboard-shortcut-utilizing dialogue window is garbage. I thought Morrowind was janky, but that was playable enough to complete. This game is unplayable cargo cult Eurotrash. Fucking Deutschland.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I tried Gothic 2 for several hours. That camera is garbage. The way the main character moves is garbage. The melee-combat-with-no-canceling is garbage. The archery is garbage. The keyboard-only inventory is garbage. The non-keyboard-shortcut-utilizing dialogue window is garbage. I thought Morrowind was janky, but that was playable enough to complete. This game is unplayable cargo cult Eurotrash. Fucking Deutschland.
lolno

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Gothic 2's camera gives me literal motion sickness. I guess in Deutschland they just grit and bear it, as that is their nature.

Edit: as Kurt Cobain would say, I'm not the only one

http://forums.stardock.com/34626/page/1/

Gothic 2 was bad as well. Lots of people loved that game. I think it's great judging from the reviews, but the perspective from which the game is played just made me horribly sick. I couldn't stand it. Everytime I turn my character around, I felt like I was going to spin off my chair.

Medal of Honor, The Suffering and as far as I remember, any game played from first person viewage had that same effect on me. Although some are worst than others. I got used to Morrowind, but not Gothic 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Gothic-II-PC/product-reviews/B000069D75?pageNumber=6
I've played dozens of PC and console graphical RPGs, and this one has the absolute worst graphical interface I've ever seen. I bought it because of the good reviews, but shortly after installing , I quit struggling with the controls that aren't logical, don't make good use of the mouse and create a feeling of motion sickness from the bobbing screen views and uninstalled it in disgust. What a waste. Doesn't matter how great the content is if you can't play it effectively.

Last edited:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Man, I'm a huge sucker for Gothic 1. A lot of my affection for this game probably comes from the fact that I played it a lot as a kid (in fact, it's one of the first cRPGs I've ever played!), so I have huuuge nostalgia for this game, its atmosphere, characters, storyline, exploration, everything - even the stupid control scheme and inventory managment don't bother me as much as they probably should. Even today, hearing the soundtrack gives me goosebumps. I will agree that Gothic 2 is probably the better game overall (except, of course, in the atmosphere and story department. I mean, we went from penal colony mystery to "Oi, mate, there be some dragons, go kill them, lol"), but muh feels demand that I vote for G1.

Yeah, p. much the same thing.

mondblut

Arcane
The best part of the gothic series was the russian cover of the first one:

206139-gothic-windows-front-cover.jpg

Naked cunts used as footstools, we need moar of these.

mondblut

Arcane
I wonder how a game where in the setting women are used as trade currency would fare nowadays. :M

Well, Dominions does pretty fine :smug:

Speaking of which, somebody should notify fullmacintosh about a game where female virgins are routinely kidnapped, sold for gold and gems, then horrifically slaughtered to summon demons. One twat of his will make Illwinter millionaries overnight.

Murk

Arcane
The gothic games are so good that they make scrubs physically sick. Truly, the best of games :martini:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I'd love to be a fly on the wall of their mother's basement when some Elder Scrolls faggot plays Gothic for the first time.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member

l2p

Doktor Best

Arcane

Maybe what you say is true, OR maybe you are just a handicapped person. Regarding the thousands of gothic fans who grew used to the controls id say the latter is true.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000 mit Tapatalk 2

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Maybe what you say is true, OR maybe you are just a handicapped person. Regarding the thousands of gothic fans who grew used to the controls id say the latter is true.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9000 mit Tapatalk 2

Motion sickness simulators are only playable to krauts and those as sadomasochistic as the average kraut.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom