Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which of these games should I play next?

roshan

Arcane
I've been looking for a good 2D isometric RPG to play ever since beating Dragonfall. The following is a list of games I haven't played yet:

Shadow Watch
Throne of Darkness
Gorasul: Legacy of the Dragon
Prince of Qin
Seal of Evil
Divine Divinity
Beyond Divinity
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader
Sacred Gold
Kult: Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition
Inquisitor
Unrest
Nightstone
Eschalon Series
Akuma: Demon Spawn
Restricted Area
Metalheart: Replicants Rampage
Shadow Vault
Siege of Avalon
Bastion
Transistor
Anito: Defend a Land Enraged
The Broken Land
Harbinger
Necromania: Trap of Darkness
The Omega Syndrome
Konung 1
Konung 2
Another War
Weird War
Spells of Gold
Valhalla Chronicles
Icarus: Sanctuary of the Gods

Are any of these worth playing? Which do you suggest I try out next?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Try Divine Divinity.
Prince of Qin has its merits, but Engrish and a bit unstable.
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader- Apparently it sucks after Barcelona.

kain30

Cipher
Try Divine Divinity.
Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader- Apparently it sucks after Barcelona.
that´s true, it sucks after barcelona and go downhill after france

valcik

Arcane
Eschalon Books, I'd say.
Avoid Restricted Area though, its crappiness would melt your brainz!

Shadenuat

Arcane
If you're going to play Divine Divinity you should read some sort of guide about it's skills, because DD1 has a lot of trap choices, and also a few imba choices that win game for you automatically, and you probably would want something in-between.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
You just finished Dragonfall? Pretty much any of the games on your list would be a bit dissapointment then. Dragonfall had some masterpiece writing, music and atmosphere. Could be a bit harder tho.

I'm surprised that somebody outside Russia knows about Konung series. Did you know there is also Konung 3? Among these, the first part is the best. I kinda fail to see what is Shadow Watch doing there, since it's not an RPG at all - it's a squad-based tactical combat sim. If you're into some mixed genres, why not try Disciples 2? It has absolutely great story, soundtrack and overall atmosphere - the one to match Dragonfall.

But if I am to stick to the list... Can't go wrong with Siege of Avalon. Absolutely brilliant gem. BUT it's certainly not for wide audience. Some may consider it tedious. If you're not sucked in after like 1-2 hours of gameplay, better drop it then.

V_K

Arcane
None of them are terribly good.
Kult:Heretic Kingdoms is at least quite original, setting- and mechanics-wise. Unfortunately, combat is rather bland.
Eschalons are purely explorefag's games. Everything aside from exploration is rather mediocre there. It's also one of the two TB games on your list if I'm not mistaken (the other is Icarus but it's awful).
Siege of Avalon is on the other hand a storyfag's delight (the developers' motto even had something to do with "playing a good book"), everything else - once again, mediocre.
Divine Divinity is basically Diablo meets Ultima 7. Would be much better without the first component.
Stay away from Akuma, Nightstone and Broken Land - they're pure garbage.
Transistor, Bastion and Necromania aren't RPGs. Unrest is questionable.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Siege of Avalon is on the other hand a storyfag's delight (the developers' motto even had something to do with "playing a good book"), everything else - once again, mediocre.
OP just finished and seemingly liked Dragonfall. Of course he is a storyfag! Besides, inventory system and chardoll are very good and realistic in this game, far ahead of it's time. I loved it a lot back in the days.

Divine Divinity is not Diablo. The sequel, Beyond Divinity, is. The first part can be finished (almost) without grinding.

Agree on the rest of your statements.

roshan

Arcane
I'm surprised that somebody outside Russia knows about Konung series. Did you know there is also Konung 3? Among these, the first part is the best. I kinda fail to see what is Shadow Watch doing there, since it's not an RPG at all - it's a squad-based tactical combat sim. If you're into some mixed genres, why not try Disciples 2? It has absolutely great story, soundtrack and overall atmosphere - the one to match Dragonfall.

I had seen the first two Konung games listed in Wikipedia before as being Infinity Engine games. Do you have any idea whether that is correct or not? If so would be cool to try the bastard stepbrother to the well known IE games :)

Transistor, Bastion and Necromania aren't RPGs. Unrest is questionable.

I tried Harbinger, and basically, it isn't even remotely an RPG, there doesn't even seem to be any stats. More like an isometric action game similar to Zax. Are Transistor, Bastion, Necromania also not RPGs in that sense, IE no stats and character building?

roshan

Arcane

OK so I tried this... For some reason the Engrish adds to the game rather than detracts from it! The voice acting is terrible though. Seems to be a Baldur's Gate style RPG mixed with Diablo-esque combat, could have been much better but the combat just doesn't feel fun or fluid. It's actually weird how few of the Diablo clones actually manage to nail the combat.

I remember this getting some praise from the Codex back in the day. What's the verdict on this now that many years have passed?

Haven't heard of most of those, but you can't go wrong with Divine Divinity. Very underrated game. Would probably get trashed by lots of people here for not adhering to the Codex party line (turn based combat, C&C, etc), but many of them would then go play it in the basement like a guilty pleasure.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Haven't heard of most of those, but you can't go wrong with Divine Divinity. Very underrated game. Would probably get trashed by lots of people here for not adhering to the Codex party line (turn based combat, C&C, etc), but many of them would then go play it in the basement like a guilty pleasure.
No, not really. #56 http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9453

Anyway, most of these seem like shovelware. All I can say myself is to not bother with Sacred or Inquisitor. Inquisitor just has shit combat while Sacred...also has shit combat.

Amn Nom

Learned
Kult: Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition: I loved this game when I played it earlier this year. The lore behind the game is someone literally killed god, put his power in a sword, and an inquisition was formed to make sure religion never rises again. Very underrated gem I would recommend to anyone who likes an interesting setting in their hack and slash.

Transistor: Not really an RPG, but still a phenomenal game. Another game with an interesting background and scenario, plus the combat system was fun for my playthrough. Also the ending made me cry, can't remember the last time that happened in a game.

Eshcalon: I didn't like these games, it felt like they took all the worst aspects of RPGs from that time period, with none of the good.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Here is another great concept that was never fully

I had seen the first two Konung games listed in Wikipedia before as being Infinity Engine games. Do you have any idea whether that is correct or not? If so would be cool to try the bastard stepbrother to the well known IE games :)

Bullshit. They have nothing to do with infinity engine. If they do, then fuck me - us russians can really fuck it up.

All three games are actually in their own genre, some fucker in old gaming press called it "russian rpg". We have jRPG subgenre and half of the wordld likes it. And then we have rRPG and nobody knows about that. Ok. So. Konung series are three games, which have only a slight plot connection, but you can pretty much play any of these in any order. Not that it would make any difference - the games are pretty similiar. Different playable chars, different maps, different quests and a couple of new features in part 3, like "global map stategy" and "open world attempt". What you may or may not find cool/dissapointing about these games:

1. They are all soaking in slavic atmospehere and folklore. Man, now I REALLY want to play it in english. I can't wait to see how the poor guys translated all those smart-ass dialogues. And yes, you'll only fight "rusalka's", "vodyanoy's", "leshiy's" and other hard to pronounce bullshit - enjoy yer russian national monsters.
2. Char building is pretty decent, actually. It's relatively easy to bump yuorself up at the start, but gets extremely hard as you go. So you gotta decide the playstyle from the start. Wanna be a mighty-wariiror-type of Konung (which means "leader" or "ruler" - well the closest definition I can come up with. It's actually called "Knyaz" in russian, and so is the game) - bump yer pshisical atts. Wanna be a cool leader of men and take 6-8 druzhina with you? Bump yer charisma and leadership.
3. The whole game is about alchemy. Not like Withcer - even worse. You simply CANNOT complete this shit without making and popping potions. Healing, poison, experience, oil for arrows - gotta make them all! So don't throw away those empty flasks of yours.
4. Want some magic? Fuck you.
5. Want some easy mod? Fuck you. It's not just difficulty daggers - the game will fuck you right from the start and continiue on the whole time. Either you find grindspots - which aren't many or you make saome hardcore alchemy, waiting for ingridients to regrow, gathering and mixing them again and again, etc. Some chars are more easy to play, coz they all start from different spots and in different conditions. You can choose a village Konung - something like a village elde, having a small army besides you. Or you can go hardcore and play the hardest guys possible. Like the mongolian (can't remember who he was exactcly) guy in Konung 3, who starts naked and imprisoned in enemy town prison. Good luck escaping from that. It's not like prison in Oblivion, you know - you will ragequit countless times before you' ll figure it out.

But all this info will be probably useless to you. Coz how can you possibly find this game? You can't like BUY it anywhere today, right? Especially english version, which I didn't even know exists. Yeah, the russian one is still out there on russian torrents, but how can you possibly run it on modern windows? You know what, I actually have all three on old CD's. I'll try them out on Win8 and tell you if it worked our. Besides, a fucking nostalgia striked me just now. These were nice games, actually.

V_K

Arcane
I tried Harbinger, and basically, it isn't even remotely an RPG, there doesn't even seem to be any stats. More like an isometric action game similar to Zax. Are Transistor, Bastion, Necromania also not RPGs in that sense, IE no stats and character building?
Bastion and Transistor have no character building, Necromania has some (IIRC), but it's more of a battle arena game.

Eyeball

Arcane
Out of the games listed, Divine Divinity (NOT Beyond Divinity, that one sucks) is the best of them and is a must-play for RPG fans.

Of other games that are worth playing:

Restricted Area is Diablo crossed with Shadowrun, but it shipped half finished and has a shitload of bugs and half-finished content. I fucking love it because it does a lot of very innovative things that other hacknslash games have since copied without giving credit, but its basic gameplay is pretty weak.

Throne of Darkness is a Samurai themed Diablo clone, only you get a team of 7 samurai to control at the same time, making it kind of squad-based-lite. It is mostly notable for its excellent crafting system, as the skill system and combat system are both kind of a mess.

Bastion is very pretty and fairly enjoyable, but I got kind of fed up with it 3/4ths through. It's a "style over substance" game, but it is well worth playing if you like popamole.

Shadow Watch is an excellent game, but it as as already stated a tactical turn-based squad game with RPG elements rather than an actual RPG. I heartily recommend it, though, and wrote a Codex review for it too: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ear-2000-squad-turn-based-strategy-rpg.89856/

Games on that list that I consider putrid dogshit:

Another War. A WW2-themed Diablo clone but a fucking horrible one with terrible voice acting and even worse gameplay. Avoid.

Harbinger. Diablo in spaaaaace, but very bland and badly done.

Inquisitor. Unique setting, but clunky, badly written and just no fun to play.

Metalheart. FO2 clone that does everything horribly wrong. One of the worst FO clones I've played.

Seal of Evil. Not actually about evil seals. Fucking false advertising, man. Is basically an oriental-themed Diablo clone with a combo system overlaid, but monsters are titanic damage sponges and require ridiculous shitloads of damage to put down, making it an exercise in tedium to land enough hugeass combos to kill even the most basic enemies. Coulda been cool, turned out derp.

The rest I've either not played or can't remember.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
From the list definitely DivDiv. If you manage to make your way through the first (horrible) dungeon the game becomes a huge open world game with lots of fun stuff to do and explore. Don't let the Diablo like looks fool you.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Icarus: Sanctuary of the Gods
Wow, how did you get hold of this one?

This is the only game from your list I have finished - a tactical RPG, something like Final Fantasy Tactics, but much worse. It has a terribad plot and dialogue (but entertaining in a b-movie kind of way), and atrocious character system that requires grinding and abusing the game to progress (hardc0re oldskull), but the characters are somewhat interesting and it has nice graphics and animations.

If you are going to play it and do not want to grind, just kill every enemy with one character. If you try to spread the XP among the party, they will all become so underpowered, you will not be able to fight effectively.

Others I have played:
Divine Divinity (worth playing)
Kult:Heretic Kingdoms (worth playing)
Eschalon (worth a try, although I got bored rather quickly)
Lionheart (not worth the inevitable disappointment)
Harbinger (nice mood and setting, but horrible gameplay - not worth it)
Another World (unplayable because of combat)

mondblut

Arcane
Metalheart is alright if you approach it unbiased and without "baww, they promised me Fallout 2.5, burn them" sentiments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom