Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which Oblivion Dev Lied The Most?

taxacaria

Scholar
Dementia Praecox said:
Well, it's more to it than that. Bethesda is being hailed as the new messiah of RPGs in all the mainstream media, and thus setting the standard for RPGs in the Industry...
Every RPG (not that it's been that many) reviewed or previewed after the release is, without exception, compared to Oblivion in one way or another.

Indeed.That are the scaring consequences.
And if you have a look at the current market, you'll see one dumbed down action hack&slash next gen 'cRPG' after another. Quests are no longer a chance for role playing - they are in to provide more action, and they can be easily solved by the usage of thousands of signs and markers - so the last moron will succeed at first attempt by some mouse clicky clicky. In addition to the epilepsy warning they should warn of atrophy of the brain. :evil:

Mayday

Augur
Well, sorry to break it to you: the majority of humans is stupid. Therefore it's worth more to make games for them. (I advise reading the "Technopriests", a weird comic book that is exactly about this problem).

piydek

Cipher
it's true that this "bethesdan" kind of development is inevitable in this capitalist world.

however, there IS a possibility for amateur enthusiasts to make a game and release it. distribution shouldn't be a problem anymore because of internet. and to be honest, i'm not sure why there's so few developer groups that operate in this manner. it would still be profitable regardless of market being small, because costs of development wouldn't really be big - those wouldn't be games with carmack engines and shiny effects. just smart, challenging games.and you don't need huge MATERIAL resources to produce that.

Mayday

Augur
Actually, with Ogre3d, making beautiful games is really easy.
I mean, if it's talented people, it doesn't take as many of them.

KreideBein

Scholar
dongle said:
piydek said:
oh, and there is one other lie that i haven't seen mentioned. that the game world is about twice the size of morrowind's. that's complete crap.
If this map is the correct scale, then yeah it is in fact a fair bit bigger.
http://til.gamingsource.net/maps/minibi ... re31gv.jpg

In theory, Cyrodiil should be much bigger than the island of Morrowind, but the size difference in the games is actually very small:

cyrocells2.jpg

dongle

Scholar
Lumpy said:
Not true - when I turned HDR on, it actually looked just as nice as in those screenshots - and with just as much Bloom. Water reflections certainly worked.
Bloom, shmoom. The LoD system looks like creamed shit, from a guar with diarrhea, no matter what settings you use. No matter what hacks you apply. No matter what texture mod packs you use.

Yes, one could replicate the exact views of official screenshots and have it look reasonably similar. The point is; they are carefully composed to hide the middle distance, which is what looks so bad, and that is most of what you see on-screen when you really play. Thus, while technically the screen shots are really from the game, they paint an extremely deceptive picture.

dongle

Scholar
KreideBein said:
In theory, Cyrodiil should be much bigger than the island of Morrowind, but the size difference in the games is actually very small:
Interesting. Each one of those blocks represents the same amount of area?

KreideBein

Scholar
dongle said:
KreideBein said:
Interesting. Each one of those blocks represents the same amount of area?

So far as I know; each one is something like 384'x384'.

Dark Helmet

Novice
I tried using that picture in a "Why does Oblibimans seem so small" thread, and it was met with "that's not what the devs said". :?

KreideBein

Scholar
R00fles! You know that fanboyism has reached its worst when the words of a developer are thought to be able to refute blatant evidence to the contrary.

piydek

Cipher
dongle said:
piydek said:
oh, and there is one other lie that i haven't seen mentioned. that the game world is about twice the size of morrowind's. that's complete crap.
If this map is the correct scale, then yeah it is in fact a fair bit bigger.
http://til.gamingsource.net/maps/minibi ... re31gv.jpg

yeah, that map is not in the correct scale. that's how it's SUPPOSED to be, but game terrains of mw and ob are not of those sizes.

this is completely subjective from the playing, but although those gameworlds are probably of the very similar size, oblivion feels MUCH smaller than mw actually due to the cretenoid design. and when you se how much of the terrain they've spent on the north of cyrodiil which they've made like slopes of some small berg, for which they've also been saying it's a fearsome mountain of snow and nordic doom, you can't help but think that they think their LOD is actually GOOD, since that guar poo, like you've said, is the only thing you see when you look south from those positions.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
Mayday said:
Well, sorry to break it to you: the majority of humans is stupid. Therefore it's worth more to make games for them. (I advise reading the "Technopriests", a weird comic book that is exactly about this problem).
Unfortunately, the majority of people using this argument are no smarter than the rest, but more dangerous.

Solomon Doone

Novice
dongle said:
Lumpy said:
Not true - when I turned HDR on, it actually looked just as nice as in those screenshots - and with just as much Bloom. Water reflections certainly worked.
Bloom, shmoom. The LoD system looks like creamed shit, from a guar with diarrhea, no matter what settings you use. No matter what hacks you apply. No matter what texture mod packs you use.

It seems that they have forgotten the lost art of mip mapping.

Seriously, how hard would it be to trilineally filter a higher LOD?

Mayday

Augur
GhanBuriGhan said:
Mayday said:
Unfortunately, the majority of people using this argument are no smarter than the rest, but more dangerous.

I wouldn't call inept, dumb, lying, obnoxious gamedevs dangerous, Iolo. Do you think Oblivion's financial success will impact any good RPGs in the making? I don't think so.

cutterjohn

Cipher
JarlFrank said:
It actually is a bit bigger than Morrowind, but it's just so generic that you dimply don't care because all looks the same. And it's only a minimal size difference.

Oh, and they said there were more dungeons than in Morrowind. I guess that was wrong, too. Maybe I also say that because MW's dungeons were a lot better regarding athmosphere and quality, but Oblivion really seemed to have much less dungeons.
Actually your wrong. IIRC Oblivion cells were back imported into Morrowind and it turns out that Oblivion is either a) the same exact size as MW, or b) slightly smaller.

There is also an offset in that exterior cells in Oblivion are 1/4 or 1/3rd the size of exterior cells in MW. (I stumbled across this while looking at progress on MGE and MW Infinite View distance, which now has some models rendered in the distance view, with addition of static object(IIRC) currently being worked on. They also added in a new shader that allows purty shaded water in the distant view, but it also overrides normal distance water shaders.)

Thinking about this again, it may NOT have been backported into the MW engine, but it MAY have been a map generator that I ran across somewhere that used the game/cell data to generate maps. I'll have to put in the link when I stumble across it again. NM it looks like Kreidebein found it, and if you visit the homepage or thread or wherever it was that, that came from you'll find all the pertinent details.

All I can say is that the above maps MAY have been what was INTENDED for size, but with the last two games the entire continent of Tamriel must only be about the size of the entire British Isles...

LOD: Oblivion does a MUCH better job at this than G3(even with tweaking, I've tried... still eventually looks like total shit). Any other recent games that I have I can't really compare though as they severely(and probably purposefully) limit viewing distance by artfully contrived geographical, building, impassable vegetation, etc.

suibhne

Erudite
cutterjohn said:
LOD: Oblivion does a MUCH better job at this than G3(even with tweaking, I've tried... still eventually looks like total shit). Any other recent games that I have I can't really compare though as they severely(and probably purposefully) limit viewing distance by artfully contrived geographical, building, impassable vegetation, etc.

I'm running with a top-of-the-line rig right now, so I don't know how it would look otherwise, but G3's LOD looks far better to me than Oblivion's out of the box. With modding (not just tweaking - I mean real modding, based on user-made textures that Bethesda never gave us), Oblivion's can look better, but that's not what we're talking about.

Just my opinion, of course. :wink:

piydek

Cipher
cutterjohn said:

wow, i don't agree in the slightest. default g3's lod is FAR better than oblivion lod even with the best 4096x4096 textures and normal maps. and default oblivion lod is just plain laughable.

dongle

Scholar
piydek said:
wow, i don't agree in the slightest.
Yeah, I really honestly don't get it. Maybe it's just that I now a little bit about how a game is put together that I notice flaws more? Maybe some folk's eyes are just hooking into their head differently? To me Morrowind did a better job of representing an outdoor 3D world than Oblivion. No contest.

piydek

Cipher
dongle said:
Yeah, I really honestly don't get it. Maybe it's just that I now a little bit about how a game is put together that I notice flaws more? Maybe some folk's eyes are just hooking into their head differently? To me Morrowind did a better job of representing an outdoor 3D world than Oblivion. No contest.

that's what i think too when it comes to morrowind/oblivion outdoor 3D world.

and i don't have a slightest clue about how a game is put together, so...

i don't know how anyone could say anything but the most harsh words about the oblivion LOD (yeah, it'd be very cool if that was one of the 10 most important things about oblivion, but that's what we're on now) - it's just a complete CUT about a hundred metres from you and then it's undifferentiated gooey, pooey mass that has cardboard cut-out "trees" on top of it. when it comes to graphics and even more - consistent look of the world, that takes away from the game so much. fog would have been so much better.

Mayday

Augur
dongle said:

Hey, I'm interested in this whole LODding technique, could you elaborate on how to improve the method used in Oblivion? Gothic has it's flaws too, IMHO (I saw floating trees in the distance at the very beginning of the game).
I liked Ob's terrain (not the LOD technique, mind you) because it was the first 3d game, in which I could look at the landscape and say "now that's some beautiful, realistic (well, almost) mountains, yessir". (I love mountains).

dongle

Scholar
Mayday said:
Hey, I'm interested in this whole LODding technique, could you elaborate on how to improve the method used in Oblivion?
Well, LoD stands for "Levels of Detail" and there just aint enough levels in Oblivion.

I'll be the first one to admit that Oblivion looks pretty good when you're standing right next to stuff, well except for people. :shock: The mountains in the far, far, distance also look OK. It does a piss-poor job of blending one into the other.

The first problem you notice is that the ground textures start to repeat obviously when they are more then a few feet away:
http://www.rpgcodex.com/images/news/View%205.JPG
Check out the grass just to the left of the cursor. See how it looks like a patchwork quilt? There are plenty of techniques to blend textures will smaller and smaller ones as they get farther away. Morrowind had, I think, six levels of this. The "quilt effect" was much less noticeable there. Also using better made textures can reduce this.

Also look at that same image just above the cursor. See how the grass goes from a high-res texture, to an ultra-low one? Just, BAM! Guar shit. Properly done this would be filtered to gradually fade from one to the next so the seam was a blend of the two textures. Also an interim level, or two, of medium detail textures would lessen the effect.

A third issue is the grid system. See how the high-res grass is applied to a square section of ground? A certain number of squares around the player are loaded with the high-res stuff, and the rest get the guar shit. It looks very unnatural. Properly done the engine would apply the high-res stuff in a circle around the player, and blend to lower-res ones as the radius from the player increases. Smoothly blended, not all looking like a checkerboard.

Then we have the LoD models:
http://www.rpgcodex.com/images/news/Disneyland%203.JPG
See how the houses look like little cubes? And they bear only a passing resemblance with the actual buildings inside Anvil? One can sub in a low polygon model as the player gets farther away. Only they've gone far too low a detail, far too soon. Notice also that the castle keep is visible, but the lighthouse right next to it is completely gone? :roll:

Only the major cites have any kind of LoD models. Notice how you can go waaay up into the mountains and still see the Imperial City? Yet, when you stand outside the Imperial City the hills look barren. They should be littered with forts, ruins, and towns. Imagine how cool that would look! They only bothered with the low-detail models for a couple of buildings. The engine could easily handle LoD models for most buildings, look how few polys are in that Anvil shot, like twelve per house! Plus a medium detail version in the middle would avoid the rinky-dink look when the player is only on a nearby hill.

It is easy to generate these low detail models in 3Ds Max, especially if you build the models with LoD in mind. Very little extra development time from the modelers.

Worst of all, IMO, is the "pop". As you move around all the things I mentioned "pop" into or out of view. All of them on this grid system too - so whole checkerboard squares, like an acre across, pop into view. Very disconcerting. Things should fade slowly into high detail, with more levels between high and low.

What I don't understand is how they managed to get SpeedTree to work as badly as the rest of their game? Try any of the demos, the one I played were released years before Oblivion. Lots more trees. They fade almost imperceptibly through six or eight levels of detail, with no annoying pop-in grids. Even the grass works better. How they managed to fuck up a turn-key tree solution is beyond me.

This did have somewhat of an effect on gameplay for me too. (just so I don't get flamed for being a graphics weenie) I found it very tedious and annoying exploring the hills around the Imperial City. You can clearly see the hills from the city, but the only detail you get is the rough idea of a road. Not until you go out there, fighting off something every two steps, do you get an idea of the lay of the land. Enormous forts simply pop up just before you stumble upon them. Then disappear before you reach the next town. Impossible to get a feel for what's where, and formulate a game plan. You really have to stumble around and take notes, or consult the map, when you could be seeing this stuff on-screen.

dongle

Scholar
This was another lie BTW, that prolly got lost in The Great Forum Purge.

Pete claimed, only a short time before release IIRC, that the whole of Morrowind's Vvardenfell Island would fit comfortably within Oblivion's view distance. Maybe it'd fit, but you wouldn't actually see more than dim lumpy forms at a distance of more then a few yards.

Solomon Doone

Novice
Awesome post - it's a nice game, but it's certainly got some pretty gaping holes, especially when it comes to blending and whatnot; the game is utterly atrocious.

Especially the bodies, damn those bodies...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom