Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Which genres do you want to make a comeback?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by Ezekiel, Jul 28, 2017.

1. t4ngr4mgender: ⚧ Page of Swords Patron

t4ngr4m
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Too many puzzle platformers, especially these days, test reflexes rather than presenting a conundrum; or they've got a narrative focus, which isn't gameplay in any sense of the word. A modern take on Sutte Hakkun would be great. That's the zenith of the genre, in my opinion. Escape Goat comes very close to capturing the essence of Solomon's Key, but I preferred Solomon's Key 2 (aka Fire 'n Ice.) The reboot of A Boy and His Blob is cute, but too easy. ibb & obb is a mixed bag. It suffers from being action oriented, but I have to congratulate the devs on creating a coop experience from the ground up. Designing puzzles for two is infinitely more difficult than most implementations of multiplayer. That's why Portal 2 was so thoroughly playtested. Even taking into consideration the stinkers and indie shovelware, there aren't enough of these games being produced.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  2. oddech_wymarlych_swiatowgender: ⚧ Erudite

oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
    Parrots:
    Apart from 90's fps (which will never happen so give up) I'd like to play:
    a) moar western fighting games, most of them died with early-to-mid 90' Mortal Kombat hype, now all that's left is Killer Instinct reboot and Netherrealm (ex-Midway) MK and DC titles
    b) moar fighting games based on simple attacks, specials and strategy rather than on 102928-hit combos, counters, breakers, juggles and all of this modern Tekken shit. Something Like TRUE successors of original NON-super-duper-hyper-turbo Street Fighter 2
    c) solid 2D (!) RTS

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Leechmongergender: ⚧ Learned

Leechmonger
    Parrots:
    Space combat games (good ones, like Freespace)

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again The Brazilian Slaughtergender: ⚧ Arcane

The Brazilian Slaughter
    Parrots:
    RTS. I would love to see something that takes cues from RTS like Outpost 2, Warzone 2100 and Earth 2150.
    A RTS with a campaign that's not just a series of linear campaign maps with no relation or persistance from one another, so its not just tactics, but strategy as well, in the pursuit of a goal.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Trodatgender: ⚧ Erudite Patron

Trodat
    Parrots:
    I think they are still being made, mostly for hand helds and the japanese market though. For example SE somehow thought that westerners don't care about that kind of games anymore.

Like Bravely Default. I haven't played it but I guess it is enjoyed by people who are into that 90s Final Fantasy style.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
    ^ Top  
  6. Deflowerergender: ⚧ Learned

Deflowerer
    Parrots:
    Tactical shooters.

:negative::negative::negative::negative::negative:

Adventure games just got dumbed down too much, and even the purists were fine with that direction. I know I am a contrarian, but all the ways the earlier adventure games could fuck you over as well as having interactions that were there just for flavor and fun was part of the appeal. Once they got streamlined to hotspot clicking and "good design" was worked out, one realized how hollow experiences they are compared to other genres which did better in the storytelling department as well.

And I feel like having too engaging of a story in an adventure game just doesn't work for majority of gamers, especially in an age where you want to be "done" with games and beat them as quickly as possible. I had this problem with Gabriel Knight. It got so interesting at some point that I just had to look up a walkthrough so I could experience the story faster, and not get bogged down by the puzzles. I know, it is degenerate, but that's also the reason why TellTale moved away from gameplay to interactive cutscenes. They know. Mind you, I don't really like that approach.

As for beatemups, there is Yakuza series.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. PorkyThePaladingender: ⚧ Arcane

PorkyThePaladin
    Parrots:
    Sandbox MMOs. The Holy Grail of game development, we have yet to have the one great one. UO and SWG in their prime came the closest, but were still very flawed. If the sandbox sub-genre ever got something equivalent to WoW in themeparks, people would literally never leave their apartments.

RTS - something deeper than just build/harvest/kill though. Deep supply chains, RPG elements, social and religious aspects. Something like CK but in RTS format.

^ Top  
  8. bussinroundsgender: ⚧ Savant

bussinrounds
    Parrots:
    With actual campaigns

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. Teepogender: ⚧ Scholar

Teepo
    Parrots:
    I forgot about the Bouncer. I remember playing it for sure, but it's been such a long time I hardly remember the game.

^ Top  
  10. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Agree with proper MMORPGs like Ultima Online. WoW destroyed the genre for me.
    Also make a Sacrifice 2 god damn it.

^ Top  
  11. Ezekielgender: ⚧ Learned

Ezekiel
    Parrots:
    Someone recommended that to me on another forum. I might give it a try when I have a PlayStation again. My second PS3 died two years ago. Yakuza seems to be more about the story and adventure elements, though. Streets of Rage gets right to the fun.

I tried the demo of Zeno Clash. It was alright. Might buy it when it's discounted. I also played a bit of The Warriors after someone recommended it on a previous page. I stopped during a mission where you have to tag walls, after accidentally aggroing the spray paint merchant. But I intend to give it another go soon. Seems like it could be fun. Edit: Oh, there is more than one spray paint merchant in the mission.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    ^ Top  
  12. sullynathangender: ⚧ Cipher

sullynathan
    Parrots:
    as someone who is just playing yakuza 5 for the first time, its story doesn't get in the way of the action. matter of fact you can have too much of it because the game has random encounters

^ Top  
  13. SwiftCrackgender: ⚧ Arcane

SwiftCrack
    Parrots:
    As far as beat em ups go, double dragon 4 was released earlier this year and it's pretty good (something feels off with it though). DD: Neon was pretty good too (actually, it was pretty great for what it tries to be). The remake pack was shit though.

4: http://store.steampowered.com/app/528610/Double_Dragon_IV/
    neon: http://store.steampowered.com/app/252350/Double_Dragon_Neon/
    remakes: http://store.steampowered.com/app/314150/Double_Dragon_Trilogy/

^ Top  
  14. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    I would vote space sims with stories except I suck at sims and cen never remember the controls. :(

^ Top  
  15. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    Those mission briefings look really familiar!

^ Top  
  16. Make America Great Again Unkillable Catgender: ⚧ WHERE THE FUCK IS YOUR CHIN? Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    Turn-based tactical games. Jagged Alliance, X-Com etc, except maybe with a little less emphasis on realism. Lazer Squad and Lords of Chaos were loads of fun, and more modern versions of those would be awesome.

A good space game would also be welcomed. Think games like No Man's Sky with actual gameplay and content. Think someone trying to recreate games like Starglider (2) and Mercenary, where the game world is just one solar system instead of a whole galaxy or something oversized like that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Have a gander at Stellar Tactics if you haven't yet.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Unkillable Catgender: ⚧ WHERE THE FUCK IS YOUR CHIN? Patron

Unkillable Cat
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014
    *ganders*

EVE Online ripoff, turn-based tactical combat, yuge game world... and Early Access.

Deserves at least a place on the wishlist while it develops further.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again v1rusgender: ⚧ Arcane

v1rus
    Parrots:
    Couch co-op and couch games in general.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    How?
    Single player game innit?

^ Top  
  21. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    There has been some improvement in this area recently.. But I agree

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Sjukobgender: ⚧ Savant

Sjukob
    Parrots:
    Have you tried this ?
    [​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)