Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which games (if any) successfully managed to be mature?

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by DriacKin, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Big Nose George Educated

Big Nose George
    I'd say that most perceived versions of maturity are variations of evil/bad. Evil as in not according to your morals. Violence is just the most prominent example. But you've got a whole spectrum to choose from.
    Now "bad" would be something along the lines of "helplessness and compromise", the fact that life is not as you thought it is as a child. This would actually be the source of the word "maturity". You are mature if you not a child. Ages vary.
    One of the most simple examples would be a child's trustfulness that gives to wariness.

There is a second part of maturity and that is thinking. Asking why till the final question. Philosophy if you will. For example http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Little_Prince - basically a children's book but mature in my opinion/by my definition.
    But it all this still lives and dies with presentation. That is where games actually fail.
    But they are not "antithetical" to maturity.

In conclusion, Zomg, no matter how many fancy word you put in, you are wrong. =P
    ^ Top  
  2. Zomg Arbiter

Zomg
    I know it's a cynical angle, but whatever. "Maturity" is too ill-defined for me to write more than an ambiguous sentence about it to try to hip-check the thread. It's like "Durr are games ART???" there's literally no chance the thread will go anywhere interesting so just freestyle.
    ^ Top  
  3. Big Nose George Educated

Big Nose George
    You are so mature. :smug:
    ^ Top  
  4. Zomg Arbiter

Zomg
    Ah, a mature person wouldn't have had the naive hope to post at all.
    ^ Top  
  5. Rhett Butler Scholar

Rhett Butler
    Fallout 1, Deus Ex 1 and of course Duke Nukem.
    ^ Top  
  6. Good Ol' Drog Educated

Good Ol' Drog
    [​IMG]
    You guys are silly. Entertainment isn't supposed to be mature.
    ^ Top  
  7. bhlaab Arbiter

bhlaab
    good point ninja turtles is my fav. movie oif all time
    ^ Top  
  8. mahdi Scholar

mahdi
    I knew from the first post that I would answer with "Dreamweb" but Jasede beat me to it. Seriously though, if you haven't checked this game out it is available for free at abandonia.com.
    ^ Top  
  9. Emotional Vampire Arbiter

Emotional Vampire
    OH GOD ABANDONWARE IS NOT FREE OH GOD OHCHRIST YOU THIEF I WILL NOT PLAY IT TILL IT'S TEN EURO ON STEAM BECAUSE I PAY FOR MY GAMES YOU POOR FUCKING THIRDWORLDER SCUM LOL IF 10 EURO MATTERS FOR YOU GO EAT POTATO
    ^ Top  
  10. Jaime Lannister Arbiter

Jaime Lannister
    unironically agreed
    ^ Top  
  11. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    I'd agree with this list, and add Silent Hill 2, Vampire:Bloodlines (yes it has all the gratuitous teen-pleasing physics-defying cleavage and all that stuff, but it also handles mood, political machinanations at both inter-factional, intra-factional and personal levels, characterisation and dialogue very very wel). Even its moments of humour were relatively mature (or, in other cases - Romero's zombie-killing, the lets-make-the-player-think-for-2-seconds-that-the-'anarch's last great leader'-is-the-ultra-annoying-tryhard-trotskyite if you choose the anarch ending - gloriously and self-knowingly immature), maybe Azrael's Tear and Under a Killing Moon.

And maybe, despite the fantasy aspects, TLJ and Dreamfall, though neither really traded on, or made any particular effort to be, 'mature'. It's more just the presentation of their social and personal lives in Stark, with the old 'spend lots of time at the start showing all these character relationships....so we can really screw with them in Dreamfall when folk start dying or turning into mind-snatched zombies.
    ^ Top  
  12. Annie Mitsoda Developer

Annie Mitsoda
    I'd actually say both learned helplessness AND a sense of agency exist in every game... well, at least the former. We're limited by our controls and what the game world itself will allow. Meta, sure, but still an element of it. Even games reinforce powerful abilities with downsides and costs - if not, it strikes the thinking types as poorly-balanced, and the feeling types as simply not fun. In that same meta sense, it's not as much as teaching the lack of agency from a base degree but making people aware precisely WHAT it is that they might be missing.

I'd also counter that learned helplessness isn't necessarily "mature" - perhaps in a sort of "help me to learn how to deal with the things I cannot change" idiom, sure, but part of immaturity is requiring help and imagining you're powerless. Although the flipside, that you cannot be beaten, is also immature (and probably why every Superman game ever hasn't been any fun). So maturity - if we really wanted to define it by such narrow schema - is less about one or the other and more about the balance of both. Which is how good game design should run, anyway.

...anyhow, I'll have to dig up Dreamweb, it sounds fascinating. Man... I wish for old titles like that, instead of paying the publisher (who's likely defunct, if it's truly abandonware) you could track down and pay the people who actually made the game. That would be a nice little surprise in your PayPal inbox, even if it was a grand total of like $5 a year. It would still make me smile as a dev knowing someone gave a shit enough to try and give something back.

ALSO as a completely crazy comment that someone mentioned Taxi Driver made me wince, because my first game in the industry was an ill-fated and never released (and let us thank god for that) Taxi Driver VIDEO GAME. That was basically a muddled GTA3 clone. Whose story was originally written by "Hollywood writers" who had maybe heard of video games before but certainly never played them, and I had to rewrite the dialogue, then they said "wait try it as NOT Taxi Driver but we can't change any assets" so THAT was fun, then it was back to being Taxi Driver again, and oh my is this blood coming out of my nose? Ooops... rage stroke... /thud.

List more games. I'd even like to hear if anyone played one of those so-called "artsy" titles and still thought it was interesting/moving/actually fun to play. I liked Braid quite a bit myself.
    ^ Top  
  13. Lesifoere Arbiter

Lesifoere
    Have you tried The Void, Annie? Because:

Fits it more or less well, esp "artsy" (because hurr the poetry). Interesting and moving, anyway, but "fun" is subjective. (I thought it was fun. Many people didn't.)

How about SH3? I mean sure, it wasn't half as good as the first two, but I'd still argue that there're bits of it that are up there.

Speaking of defining "mature" games, if we're moving away from the rather silly "okay it deals with boobs and violence in a MASHURE manner", I'd like to define it as games that can be enjoyed on more than one level. So at a minimum, you can say that the game is well-designed/fun to play and has enjoyable writing: but what else? Does it hold up to scrutiny and thought beyond this and not fall apart in a shower of rip-off residues and illogic? Does it make you think and/or doubt the characters' (or better yet your own) actions in the game? As wanky a definition as any, I'll admit, but it works for me.
    ^ Top  
  14. Elwro Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    LASH includes rape.
    ^ Top  
  15. Trash Simply fabulous

Trash
    Seriously? I'm sure there have been a number of projects to which the term game only applies very loosely that one could call mature. Alter Ego in which you life the live of a person from birth to death springs to mind. Also I believe that especially in the 80's there have been a few text adventures that tried to go beyond the usual by incorporating all sorts of ethical and spiritual content. The indie scene as well might have some stuff.
    ^ Top  
  16. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Dreamweb reaches the mature'n'awesome state in combination with the "Diary of a madman" journal that was included in the game box. Annie, if you play the game be sure to read that too, it floats around in the net in pdf form.
    ^ Top  
  17. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    It was, in fact, linked on page 2.

By the way, those who agree with me on Dreamweb, I would suggest for you to play the Text Adventures (Interactive Fiction) games. I am sure you can argue this point, but a lot of them were clearly intended for (patient) adults, like Trinity and A Mind Forever Voyaging. There are also many good freeware ones, such as Shades and Anchorhead.
    ^ Top  
  18. Luzur Prestigious Gentleman Good Sir

Luzur
    ^ Top  
  19. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Also for those that like Sanitarium and similar games let me propose Mind's Eye, an excellent freeware adventure.
    ^ Top  
  20. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Uuhhg. Kill that thing or at least castrate him and preserve the gene pool.
    ^ Top  
  21. Gragt Arcane Patron

Gragt
    Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
    Given his face, he'd need to use the brick to spread his genes.
    ^ Top  
  22. Wyrmlord Self-Ejected Patron

Wyrmlord
    He looks amazingly similar to the guy who punched holes in his walls after playing CoD:MW2.
    ^ Top  
  23. Awor Szurkrarz Arcane

Awor Szurkrarz
    Codex 2012
    It depends on how one plays.
    Fallout and Fallout 2 in iron man can require some learned helplessness and compromise if PC wants to survive.

Doing some do-gooder quests may pit PC against numerically superior foes than can easily kill him/her. So, sometimes one just has to let it go.
    A lot of my Fallout characters have died when they got too heroic.
    ^ Top  
  24. Zomg Arbiter

Zomg
    Just thought of one: Missile Command
    ^ Top  
  25. Azrael the cat Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Double on the 'Mind Forever Voyaging'. It's one of the few text adventures that would have benefited from being a (well-designed) graphical adventure, but it is truly brilliant. Many many people rate it as the absolute high-point of text adventures, and that taking era and genre into account, one of the great games of all time.
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above links helps us pay the hosting bills)