Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which game made you give up on Bioware?

The game that made me quit Bioware forever was...

• Total voters

mondblut

Arcane
But since Bioware never made any turn-based games from BG onwards you would have known that

BG was somewhat tolerable, and BG did not claim to be a "resurrection" of a dearly missed game that I loved.

when you bought it

what?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
But since Bioware never made any turn-based games from BG onwards you would have known that

BG was somewhat tolerable, and BG did not claim to be a "resurrection" of a dearly missed game that I loved.

One rtwp is tolerable but another isn't. Cool, glad we sorted that out. Oh, a new point, you bought the hype.

if you consumed your time, you consumed your money...

pippin

To be fair, BG's rtwp was different from DAO's. DAO's much more "modern" while BG's was aiming to be something among the lines of an extremely simplified version of DND born out of an attempt to make a strategy game.

Phisto

Literate
I enjoyed even JE so terrible animations and "is this human dialogue?" I can ignore if the game has other strengths, but DA2 was just so terrible. Every single choice in that dialogue wheel made me cringe and feel like I'm playing some sort of fan-fiction fantasy. The "press R" to win situation and repetitive maps didn't help either.

Falksi

Arcane
I'm curious, did any of you who voted for DA:2 actually give the woeful DA:I a chance? Or had DA:2 offended you enough so that you didn't even touch it?

pippin

Many people here actually played DAI. However, DAI's hype died pretty soon after release and it was kinda embarassing when Dorito Pope gave them the GOTY award. I suspect DA4 will barely make waves, if it does at all.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
I'm curious, did any of you who voted for DA:2 actually give the woeful DA:I a chance? Or had DA:2 offended you enough so that you didn't even touch it?

I did. It was even worse. Higher production value than DA 2, but all for a pseudo MMO with a main quest totally detached from the many areas of the game.

Mr. Salty

Novice
As others mentioned, I gave DA:I a chance, even though I pretty much wrote them off after the shit show that was DA2. DAI was so much worse, although in different ways.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Mine was DA:I. Terrible, shitty game that failed at everything it attempted. Before this I had only played the Mass Effects, and I liked those despite all their faults (though I was like 12 when I first got into them, maybe says something about their intended demographic). However, even for a Bethestard Biowhore like me, this had shit gameplay, shit writing, shit story, shit exploration and boring everything. And I have a high tolerance for shit, but this is the literal worst waste of my money I've ever made hands down. And I've spent a total of probably close to two hundred and fifty USD on Oblivion and Skyrim. This is a shitfully boring and banal practice in why Bioware sucks anymore and should be shut down by EA.

Puukko

Arcane
I knew they were decline around the time ME3 came out, which I then proceeded to never finish. I quite liked ME2 and DA:O was alright if generic.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Many people here actually played DAI. However, DAI's hype died pretty soon after release and it was kinda embarassing when Dorito Pope gave them the GOTY award. I suspect DA4 will barely make waves, if it does at all.

I have a feeling that DA4 will make FO4 and ME:A look like masterpieces.

wyes gull

Savant
I don't think there was ever a Bioware game I really liked but ME2 was what made it evident that there was never going to be one. ME1 was pretty enjoyable, warts and all. 2 was a nonsensical shooting gallery written by a 14 year old who didn't get to play the first one. Consolitis and EA-itis were really fucking evident. Shame. There's a lack of medium-big budget space RPGs (sci-fi in general) and ME had potential.

Corvinus

Arcane
The last nail in the coffin was Mass Effect 3's incredibly stupid end, but their coffin carpentry begun with the first Dragon Age, at least for me.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In my heart, I gave up after Dragon Age 2. I played Mass Effect 3 only because of my PlayStation Plus subscription. I bought a PS4 and got the only rpg available at the time. That game was Dragon Age: Inquisition. I never bothered with Mass Effect: Andromeda after having played Mass Effect 3.

I played Jade Empire to completion after Dragon Age 2 came out, but you could see that they were going for more action based games in that.

Telengard

Arcane
I have never liked any of Bioware's games. Yes, even the Codexian favorites - in all their cheesy, dumb glory. However, there was a time not too long ago when I tried every rpg out there, just to kind of check back in with the industry and see what people were doing.

The fact that Bioware games always, always, always tell the exact same cheesy melodramatic story that they staff with a seemingly random selection of the same cheesy stock characters from the same small pool of stock characters (which characters they were always too lazy to modify out of stock), that always bored the hell out of me. Yet more personally offensive was Bioware's stock level design, where they rapidly fill space by sticking to a large grid, and then throwing in a minimalist amount of the decorative furnishings drawn from the same small stock of furnishings - leading to such results as giant warehouses with zero goods stored in them, but to give any sort of visual interest to what is essentially a giant bare room, they do floor cut-outs with single square floor pieces that angle down at 45 degrees. So a Bioware warehouse - warehouses being a thing made to maximize storage space for goods, keep in mind - has these strange giant holes in the floor, with 45 degree angles floor bits running jaggedly around the sides of the holes, leading to almost 0 level floor space available for, you know, the actual storage of goods. Even Bioware's outside and cave level designs are made up of the same flat, simple squares, leading to very unorganic outside spaces. However, they make their outdoor walls and ceiling invisible and surround it all with a pretty and animated skybox, so it all seems ornately designed - like the reverse of a Hollywood Old West town, where they only built the front of the buildings. So, effectively what I was doing was checking in to see how Bioware had updated their pretty skyboxes, since they never ever change their story, characters, or level design.

But I kept checking in, out of a sense of obligation to the past. Wasn't much on finishing one of their games, often didn't make it past the first hour, but still checked in. Plus they were always good for finding unintentional sexual imagery memes. And so it went, until the day I picked up ME and DA:O out of the bargain bin. Doing those two games back-to-back put into sharp relief everything stated above, plus since Bioware uses the same voice actors who are essentially saying the same type of canned lines, made it at times very difficult to remember which of their games I was playing. You know, always rambling on about their hamster or their tree fetish, or whatever. Which all annoyed the fuck out of me so bad that I have never touched a Bioware game since. It was really both of those games together what did me in, but ME went in the computer drive first, so, by default, since it went in last, DA:O is the title that officially was the last Bioware game I will ever play.

Darkman

Educated
DA II due to it being complete irredeemable garbage that had zero passion or effort put into it's design. Imagine paying $60 on release for a 15-20 hour corridor RPG.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
DA II due to it being complete irredeemable garbage that had zero passion or effort put into it's design. Imagine paying $60 on release for a 15-20 hour corridor RPG.
Hmmm... yes pay.

Plisken

Learned
I voted ME2 because it was popamole trash through and through (has "streamlining" ever not just meant dumbing down gameplay) but the reality is bioware has always sucked, in the exact same ways.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom